Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree with most of this apart from the Ruddock bit. I'm not sure what he was doing there. He was too fat and fragile to run, they knew he had health issues but then filmed him getting stuck into massive curries and at least 2 separate big drinking sessions. They flew his wife over to give him a bit of a telling off about his eating/drinking/smoking before she joined them for an all day booze up. He then had to leave early as his heart and blood pressure were going crazy and needed a pacemaker fitting. The show could have killed him.

I think the Ruddock bit just hit home for me personally. As a self-confessed fatty, I've always been full of excuses. I'd love to be fitter but I just don't have the time. I don't eat unhealthily (while tucking into a 5guys burger). I wouldn't quite say it was an epiphany for me but I felt that Merse had him bang to rights on him being a "tomorrow man" and it kinda touched a nerve for me. 

You're right though that he added no value to the team but it was interesting to hear Merse saying that the team the previous year had a huge effect on him making the necessary changes in his life so I wonder if Ruddock had that in his mind. Probably not but if him appearing on the show this year had the by-product of him starting a journey to getting himself fixed up, then it's all good. 

• Like 1

Ruddock was on another show a few years back (might have been come dine with me?) and his wife was doing a big thing then about how his heart was on the limit, he never changes, eats and drinks too much, will have a heart attack etc. She is obviously part of the problem judging by her flying out to France to shit faced with them all. He’ll kill himself soon enough I fear.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Ruddock was on another show a few years back (might have been come dine with me?) and his wife was doing a big thing then about how his heart was on the limit, he never changes, eats and drinks too much, will have a heart attack etc. She is obviously part of the problem judging by her flying out to France to shit faced with them all. He’ll kill himself soon enough I fear.

Always had a soft spot for old Razor. I remember him nearly taking Stuart Pearce out the ground with one challenge. 

On 19/05/2020 at 22:31, Genie said:

Harry’s heroes an interesting watch again. Lee Hendrie opening up about his battle with depression following bankruptcy and having his and his mums homes repossessed. Said he tried to kill himself twice and take anti depressants still now. I didn’t realise he had 5 kids.

I love the kid. He was so infectious, such a shame he didn't fulfill that wonderful potential. He could have been an England regular under Hoddle, it was him who gave him his one and only cap, which apparently was taken when his house was allegedly burgled by the son of Trevor Francis. 

He was Villa through and through even though his old man played for the Unwashed. He was part or that youth team that played the class of 92 in the youth cup final.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I love the kid. He was so infectious, such a shame he didn't fulfill that wonderful potential. He could have been an England regular under Hoddle, it was him who gave him his one and only cap, which apparently was taken when his house was allegedly burgled by the son of Trevor Francis. 

He was Villa through and through even though his old man played for the Unwashed. He was part or that youth team that played the class of 92 in the youth cup final.

me too I thought he was a really good player, looked like the trip did him the world of good and he ever scored the winning goal and Germany. 

Just started this little known HBO show called Game of Thrones. I think I may have missed some of the hullabaloo when it first aired maybe. 

Yep, it's taken an enforced lockdown, but finally going to give it a whirl. I know enough to expect lots of people to die etc.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Just started this little known HBO show called Game of Thrones. I think I may have missed some of the hullabaloo when it first aired maybe. 

Yep, it's taken an enforced lockdown, but finally going to give it a whirl. I know enough to expect lots of people to die etc.

Before you get really stuck in, bear in mind that the general opinion of the climax to the show was incredibly negative from even the biggest fans. It's a long old slog to get through to get annoyed at the end.

I really enjoyed first four seasons, after that it disappointed for me.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Mrs H just started it and is addicted to it  ... she gives me a shout when some nudity is on screen like my own personal Channel 4 red triangle , but other than that I don’t have any real desire to watch it 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Before you get really stuck in, bear in mind that the general opinion of the climax to the show was incredibly negative from even the biggest fans. It's a long old slog to get through to get annoyed at the end.

I really enjoyed first four seasons, after that it disappointed for me.

Oh I know the fans hated the last season,  I may not last, but just ticking off the must see's, still got The Wire, / The Shield/ Deadwood to go...

• Like 1

Just now, Rodders said:

Oh I know the fans hated the last season,  I may not last, but just ticking off the must see's, still got The Wire, / The Shield/ Deadwood to go...

Tried three times with the Wire and can't even finish the second series. So poor IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Got - I think it genuinely has 3 or 4 of the best individual episodes in TV history, certainly some of the best moments 

It became too big and unwieldy and eventually finished in a manner that I haven't seen anyone say they're happy with 

That shouldn't taint or take away from what it achieved though 

• Like 2

Finally got through Last Dance as a sports fam its a must watch. Can see traces of Henry and Zlatan in the Jordan persona though I think Jordan for his arrogance was a better captain. He demanded a lot but he trusted his team mates when needed. 

Most in show came across well especially his teammates though Isiah Thomas seemed like a smug clearing in the woods. Pippen though got a rough deal

• Like 1

On 20/05/2020 at 05:10, KenjiOgiwara said:

Safe to say in this case you're the ignorant one, but whatever makes things easier for you. 

Why are you persisting in calling somebody by a name they abandoned? And then calling somebody else ignorant? 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why are you persisting in calling somebody by a name they abandoned? And then calling somebody else ignorant? 

Because I referred to the person he was when he was Clay. It wasn't like he changed his name and suddenly got the persona that made him famous. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because I referred to the person he was when he was Clay. It wasn't like he changed his name and suddenly got the persona that made him famous. 

By the same logic, when he was Clay he had the same 'persona' that became interested in Islam and take up the name Muhammad Ali.

I'm struggling to see any way in which you're not on the wrong side of a debate that was lost circa 1965 on this question. Even if we try to leave politics to one side as much as possible, it's just kind of a dick thing to do to refer to people by a name and identity that they reject. If we try to take the most apolitical example, if you had a schoolfriend with a name they hated, and they got it legally changed when they became an adult, you surely wouldn't insist on calling them by their birth name. At any rate, I hope you wouldn't.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

By the same logic, when he was Clay he had the same 'persona' that became interested in Islam and take up the name Muhammad Ali.

I'm struggling to see any way in which you're not on the wrong side of a debate that was lost circa 1965 on this question. Even if we try to leave politics to one side as much as possible, it's just kind of a dick thing to do to refer to people by a name and identity that they reject. If we try to take the most apolitical example, if you had a schoolfriend with a name they hated, and they got it legally changed when they became an adult, you surely wouldn't insist on calling them by their birth name. At any rate, I hope you wouldn't.

If you feel like calling him Ali in that setting feel free. I'm not stopping you. Personally I was talking about his winning persona in a Jordan reference, so it was natural to refer to him as Clay, as he was called Clay when he became known for it. I also would refer to Cat Stevens (even if it was an artist name) when I talk about the musician, cause I mostly associate him with a few songs in the early 70s. 

If I actually met them or talked about them in general it would be more natural to use the names they prefer to be called as. 

Whether Clay was interested in Islam is hugely irellevant. In this case it was just about what name you associate the winner that was Clay/Ali as, and to me that's Clay. If you associate him with Ali, go ahead. Just don't tell me what I'm associating it with, which was the point that was made. 

22 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If you feel like calling him Ali in that setting feel free. I'm not stopping you. Personally I was talking about his winning persona in a Jordan reference, so it was natural to refer to him as Clay, as he was called Clay when he became known for it. I also would refer to Cat Stevens (even if it was an artist name) when I talk about the musician, cause I mostly associate him with a few songs in the early 70s. 

If I actually met them or talked about them in general it would be more natural to use the names they prefer to be called as. 

Whether Clay was interested in Islam is hugely irellevant. In this case it was just about what name you associate the winner that was Clay/Ali as, and to me that's Clay. If you associate him with Ali, go ahead. Just don't tell me what I'm associating it with, which was the point that was made. 

Without question the most famous sportsman ever is Mohammed Ali. I assume people were at least a teenager in 1964 and a huge boxing fan so are in a habit of referring to him by his birth name. If not then that is just contrarian as every man and woman, regardless of his pre Islam achievements refers to him as Mohammed Ali. A very limited number of people should refer to a sportsperson by anything other than the name they achieved fame by. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Â