Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Think that's season 2.

Would like to read anything you'd recommend on it though.

Just google Jordan, Barkley, Tiger Woods friendship. 

Obviously there are no 100% this is what actually happened stories (I think) but there have been tons of stories over the years, especially since the Tiger Woods facade crumbled.

They took him under their wings and showed him the high life as a superstar.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know how you can watch The Last Dance and not think Michael Jordan is arrogant :crylaugh:

I mean a lot of it is well placed arrogance. He really was the absolute best, so you can hardly blame him.

But he clearly knows it. He acts like he's a god.

I have absolutely no interest in basketball. I have no affiliation to any team or any player, and I view Michael Jordan as one of the greatest athletes of all time.
If thinking he's arrogant makes me a hater then so be it!

I found it interesting how he had that constant desire to show how much better he was than everybody else, yet he could then be pretty unpleasant at times to his team mates for not being up to his level.

I also liked the footage around the lock room pre or post game, just the amount of attention from media, fans etc, he was constantly swarmed. It must have got annoying at times.

45 minutes ago, andym said:

I found it interesting how he had that constant desire to show how much better he was than everybody else, yet he could then be pretty unpleasant at times to his team mates for not being up to his level.

I also liked the footage around the lock room pre or post game, just the amount of attention from media, fans etc, he was constantly swarmed. It must have got annoying at times.

We’ve all played football with those kinds of players who are better than everyone else and get angry that people can’t play to their standard. Jordan seemed to be that at the elite level. 

Like I said it was obviously effective and he’s the best ever. But it must have been unpleasant to be around him at times. His teammates say it in the documentary

16 hours ago, Genie said:

Harry’s heroes an interesting watch again. Lee Hendrie opening up about his battle with depression following bankruptcy and having his and his mums homes repossessed. Said he tried to kill himself twice and take anti depressants still now. I didn’t realise he had 5 kids.

I knew he’d had his issues, but not the extent highlighted last night, ie repossession etc. 

To be honest though, I got annoyed with the whole programme when Vinnie Jones turned up.  I shall watch it later on tonight, but it’s not been great.

23 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I knew he’d had his issues, but not the extent highlighted last night, ie repossession etc. 

To be honest though, I got annoyed with the whole programme when Vinnie Jones turned up.  I shall watch it later on tonight, but it’s not been great.

Yep, Vinnie has had his issues but he is also a massive nob.

I think nowadays players get better support when coming out of the game and with investing their money whilst they are playing. It’s probably down to the fact that a lot of the players from the previous generation (like those in this show) have not coped with things very well and have drink, drugs, gambling and financial issues.

Lee Hendrie mentioned he invested a lot of money in properties but then the market collapsed... when was that as I don’t remember a big collapse? Buying Jagers in Paris 10 at a time does prove that he hasn’t really learned his lessons about managing money, health, alcohol limits etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hornso said:

Also, for anyone else that is interested in him and his mentality. His Hall of Fame speech is a weird watch.

Just watched about 10 min recap of that. While I might have missed something, I didn't find what I saw any weird. He seems quite genuine. Obviously cocky and arrogant, but I prefer those kind of speeches to that vanilla, PC, hollywood'esque wankathan you're used to seeing. 

Taking the piss out of the organisation is pretty legit thing to do when they deliberately tear up a 6 times champion side. Hell, Villa fans still moan about how the 81 side got treated. 

Working my way through Brassic series 1 on sky. Joe Gilgun is excellent. The episode with Erin’s brother that I just watched was a highlight so far - like Shameless at its best.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chappy said:

Working my way through Brassic series 1 on sky. Joe Gilgun is excellent. The episode with Erin’s brother that I just watched was a highlight so far - like Shameless at its best.

It’s a proper gem, S2 is quality too 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Yep, Vinnie has had his issues but he is also a massive nob.

I think nowadays players get better support when coming out of the game and with investing their money whilst they are playing. It’s probably down to the fact that a lot of the players from the previous generation (like those in this show) have not coped with things very well and have drink, drugs, gambling and financial issues.

Lee Hendrie mentioned he invested a lot of money in properties but then the market collapsed... when was that as I don’t remember a big collapse? Buying Jagers in Paris 10 at a time does prove that he hasn’t really learned his lessons about managing money, health, alcohol limits etc.

I think generally players these days have more money as well which probably helps.

As in they can afford to blow a relative fortune on partying and gambling etc but still have plenty left over to do the sensible stuff with.

I think back then, even though it was still big money, it wasn't enough to hide or recover from those bad decisions

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Probably leveraged up to his eyeballs on interest only 100% mortgages at the time. 

I remember reading about a boy band star, someone in Boyzone or Westlife, who went bust due to something similar. All his cash was tied up in property 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Probably leveraged up to his eyeballs on interest only 100% mortgages at the time. 

I remember reading about a boy band star, someone in Boyzone or Westlife, who went bust due to something similar. All his cash was tied up in property 

One of the westlife guys I think 

And it was around £20m from memory 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Yeah, one of the Westlife guys. I think he was building a housing estate and the housing market did collapse (in Ireland).

Its unfortunate, but then stupid to sink your entire wealth into 1 project like that.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think generally players these days have more money as well which probably helps.

As in they can afford to blow a relative fortune on partying and gambling etc but still have plenty left over to do the sensible stuff with.

I think back then, even though it was still big money, it wasn't enough to hide or recover from those bad decisions

Good point, Michael Owen a good example of someone who blew a lot of money gambling but relative to his wealth could stomach it. Actually, Rooney also said he owed £300k to a bookmaker early in his career. 

Edited by Genie

Going a bit off topic but when you wonder what goes through the likes of Mourinho's head when he prostitutes himself out to that scumbag misery purveying bookmaker who shall not be named. He has been probably the best paid manger in the world over the past 15 years and can't be stuck for the money and any shred of respect people could have for him is surely gone at this stage because of it. 

Rooney with the 32 nonsense at Derby is similar. 

• Like 2

Harry's Hero's was worth a watch. I know Hendrie's been a bit of a knob in the past but he was a legend in this. Vassell turned up for the game against Germany too class.

I liked Seaman and Sheringham talking about when they played in 96, such pride even now playing for country. I think that's what's missing with todays teams, they dont really have the pride and passion playing for England like they used too, it just seems like another game to them.

I really thought I’d be a bit sniffy about Harry’s Heroes but I actually think it’s an important bit of telly. Of course, like most right minded people, I have a distaste for a number of the people involved but the way they’ve dealt with Merse, Ruddock and our Lee has been excellent. 
I think it’s great the way a show like this can normalise mental health issues for the target audience. Maybe normalise is the wrong word but I’d imagine for many who would watch this would think that depression or substance abuse is something to hide so to hear the guys talk so openly about their struggles can only be a good thing. 

John Barnes is a bellend though ;)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Harry's Hero's was worth a watch. I know Hendrie's been a bit of a knob in the past but he was a legend in this. Vassell turned up for the game against Germany too class.

I liked Seaman and Sheringham talking about when they played in 96, such pride even now playing for country. I think that's what's missing with todays teams, they dont really have the pride and passion playing for England like they used too, it just seems like another game to them.

I thought the bit with Merson and Ruddick was quite moving. Didn't know Merson was an alcoholic so recently. Hendrie looks fit but still seems a bit immature for his age. Mark Wright and Seamon come over as good people. yes Barnes is a bit of a clearing in the woods. 

15 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Rooney with the 32 nonsense at Derby is similar. 

When he signed he mentioned how he lost £300k to a bookie early in his career, I'd have loved it if after signing this deal with Derby he said it was just to get his money back from the bookie. It would have been hilarious :lol: 

13 hours ago, choffer said:

I really thought I’d be a bit sniffy about Harry’s Heroes but I actually think it’s an important bit of telly. Of course, like most right minded people, I have a distaste for a number of the people involved but the way they’ve dealt with Merse, Ruddock and our Lee has been excellent. 
I think it’s great the way a show like this can normalise mental health issues for the target audience. Maybe normalise is the wrong word but I’d imagine for many who would watch this would think that depression or substance abuse is something to hide so to hear the guys talk so openly about their struggles can only be a good thing. 

John Barnes is a bellend though ;)

I agree with most of this apart from the Ruddock bit. I'm not sure what he was doing there. He was too fat and fragile to run, they knew he had health issues but then filmed him getting stuck into massive curries and at least 2 separate big drinking sessions. They flew his wife over to give him a bit of a telling off about his eating/drinking/smoking before she joined them for an all day booze up. He then had to leave early as his heart and blood pressure were going crazy and needed a pacemaker fitting. The show could have killed him.

Aside from that I think the honesty they all showed was commendable (apart from Ruddock who is clearly in denial still). Lee Hendrie came off quite well, but still a bit of a lad in his 40's.

Football wise Kevin Phillips looked pretty handy in the clips they showed of the Germany game, and Darius skinning the defender was nice to see. Funny to see Sheringham the "star striker" miss the open goal.

Â