Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Must confess, I really don't get this appetite for the horror genre. 

Personally love horror if it's well done. Always have.

Comedy on the other hand I tend to stay away from these days. Both movies and TV shows. Bores the shit out of me 99 times out of a 100.

I love a horror movie if done well, although I think it's a very easy genre to do badly. And when they're bad they're basically pointless.

But I've never had much appetite for a horror TV show. And I can't really remember watching any.

American Horror Story is about as close as I can think of. And I only watched that for a season and a bit. Didn't do it for me.

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I love a horror movie if done well, although I think it's a very easy genre to do badly. And when they're bad they're basically pointless.

But I've never had much appetite for a horror TV show. And I can't really remember watching any.

American Horror Story is about as close as I can think of. And I only watched that for a season and a bit. Didn't do it for me.

I think it's a hard genre to translate to TV. If the idea is to have a show that "runs".

Watered down teen stuff like Buffy has proven to work. izombie a recent attempt from the cw is truly awful, if not watchable for Rose McIver, but the right thing, if it catches on, can work.

Pure Horror though based on frights and gore can't be that easy to extend over hours and hours and hours of output imo. And can't be that high on advertisers clean cut list of preferences.

I have never watched the Walking Dead. People have said many good things, I've never bothered and probably never will at this point but is it true to say that the formula was fun for a while for those of you that watched/watch it? Surely the popularity of that though is the exception to the rule for the genre?

Ash vs Evil Dead is great. Obviously more Comedy/Horror.
I did like Channel Zero from the Sci-Fi channel. Total rip off of the ring but watchable and creepy.
Stranger Things certainly has that horror angle surely that's in the mix TV wise?

I'm with you though, can't think of much horror TV that's ever really done it for me outside of those, whereas my favourite film list would include loads.

Whereas things like the twilight zone or Tales from the crypt or even tales of the unexpected / Black Mirror etc could do a horror type episode that could be great.

Or a 4 part serialisation of a stephen king book or that sort of thing.

Small doses make it scarier basically

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As you say not a lot of quality horror TV-shows

More often than not they turn into TV drama rather than horror.

TWD and The Strain prime examples. 

Recent examples like The Exorcist and Outcast also fall into this category.

I did enjoy the first season of American Horror Story and there are some excellent episodes in The X-Files that are really scary.

From what I remember as a kid the second season of War of the Worlds (the 80's version) was really grim.

And then of course there is The Twilight Zone...

• Like 1

i dont like horror but the reviews its getting means i'll have to give it a go

did try american horror story based on that getting a decent write up and found it a bit shit and gave up after a couple of episodes

i watch that much netlix / prime / now tv i end up trying pretty anything and everything that reviews well (i dont have "proper" tv anymore)

10 hours ago, sne said:

Personally love horror if it's well done. Always have.

Comedy on the other hand I tend to stay away from these days. Both movies and TV shows. Bores the shit out of me 99 times out of a 100.

Pretty much this for me. And they have one thing in common, none scary horror films and none funny comedies are really awfull. But then again, I like some really bad horror movies. :) I love the Friday the 13th films and have them all, although no 8 has disappeared. But 8-10 are the worst anyway. Watch them every summer.

• Like 1

First two eps of THOHH were both good slow builds and scene setters. Not OMG must see TV so far though but early days. The second episode with the kittens freaked me out, really uncomfortable. CGI is a bit hokey in parts and some of the kids are a bit cliche but overall it’s good so far. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. 7/10 for first two episodes.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

First two eps of THOHH were both good slow builds and scene setters. Not OMG must see TV so far though but early days. The second episode with the kittens freaked me out, really uncomfortable. CGI is a bit hokey in parts and some of the kids are a bit cliche but overall it’s good so far. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. 7/10 for first two episodes.  

Also 2 eps in, think it's off to a really promising start.

Not easy doing a horror story over 10 eps as it's impossible to have the watcher on the edge of their seats for so long.

It's a slow burn so far and no real feeling of danger but nice that they are not resorting to jump scares all the time.

Quite enjoying it so far.

Spoiler

Oh that dumbwaiter ride in ep 3 was a terrible idea ?

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, sne said:

5 episodes in now and The Haunting of Hill House is honestly really good.

Better than I thought it would be tbh. 

Hopefully the second half of the season is as good.

Agreed. It ramps up and up. The only thing that really bothers me is all the crappy green screening. At least I assume the house scenes and funeral home stuff is green screen as it looks really unnatural.

Loving all the non essential little changes in the background scenery as things change, change position, move or are just glancingly there.

Really well done apart from the teensy odd bit of hammy acting. 8/10 now after 6 episodes.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Agreed. It ramps up and up. The only thing that really bothers me is all the crappy green screening. At least I assume the house scenes and funeral home stuff is green screen as it looks really unnatural.

Loving all the non essential little changes in the background scenery as things change, change position, move or are just glancingly there.

Really well done apart from the teensy odd bit of hammy acting. 8/10 now after 6 episodes.

Can only agree.

On a side note it is uncanny how much the youngest kid in the family, Luke resembles Zlatan Ibrahimovic's son Vincent when he was about that age :)

2 hours ago, sne said:

5 episodes in now and The Haunting of Hill House is honestly really good.

Better than I thought it would be tbh. 

Hopefully the second half of the season is as good.

We're starting this tonight. Looking forward to it even more after reading yours and @Ingram85s comments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

We're starting this tonight. Looking forward to it even more after reading yours and @Ingram85s comments.

Yeah this is good so far.

Really like the little nods to the Robert Wise movie (1963). Particularly the homage to the scene with the banging walls which has always been a favourite of mine.

Just finished it. Going through a weird time in my life which has made me a bit sensitive around family stuff at the moment which doesn’t help but **** me the last 15 minutes or so had me blubbering my eyes out. 

Drained. Brilliant little series overall. 

• Like 2

Â