Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I've had loads of people tell me how marvellous it was... never managed to get past half an hour into the first episode, tried three times too

Yeah...it's ok but...way at the back of my "to watch" list. Saw 4 episodes yesterday and can't be arsed to watch any more.

Ray Donovan and Homeland season 6 for us ;)

I think Stranger Things is brilliant.

Then again it's from the era i grew up in so everything is familiar and they are doing a great job of paying homage to the films and shows they are borrowing from.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

I think Stranger Things is brilliant.

Then again it's from the era i grew up in so everything is familiar and they are doing a great job of paying homage to the films and shows they are borrowing from.

I thought it was too derivative. Watched the first few episodes last year and there was nothing new. Getting a bit tired of all this 80s nostalgia. 

I enjoyed the second season, but there's just a couple of things that bugged me..

Spoiler

The storyline with Max's stepbrother and stepfather didn't really seem to go anywhere and the inclusion of them both seemed a bit pointless. I thought he was going to end up being a hero towards the end or something but nothing came of it.

Same with Eleven and her 'sister'. You could skip that whole episode and the only thing you'd wonder is where Eleven got her new clothes. It gave a little bit of background of Eleven I guess, but I didn't think it was really necessary. 

I'm guessing they were just set up for a third season.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 1

I've been watching The Orville, and I have to say, after the shaky start it's been excellent. It's as close to the genuine Star Trek as we can get in modern television world, the use of lighting and colors etc is just pure TNG. At first the balance between the more serious stuff and the comedy/humor was quite off, but after the first couple episodes they've found a very nice balance between the two.

My favourite episode so far is the fourth one, If the Stars Should Appear. I've been very impressed with the writing, and I was very surprised to find out that Seth MacFarlane has himself written all of the episodes except one, he clearly knows his shit. He isn't bad in the lead role, but IMO someone like Bruce Campbell would be perfect in it, he's master at playing likeable (kinda) losers and/or loudmouths, like in Army of Darkness.

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I enjoyed the second season, but there just of couple of things that bugged me..

Reveal hidden contents

The storyline with Max's stepbrother and stepfather didn't really seem to go anywhere and the inclusion of them both all seemed a bit pointless. I thought he was going to end up being a hero towards the end or something but nothing came of it.

Same with Eleven and her 'sister'. You could skip that whole episode and the only thing you'd wander is where eleven got her new clothes. It gave a little bit of background of Eleven I guess, but I didn't think it was really necessary. 

I'm guessing they were just set up for a third season.

Spoiler

Yeah, the Eleven excursion to Chicago was the only thing I didn't really enjoy.

Other than that thou i thought it was a very good season 2. Obviously you don't get the same "magic" as in season 1 because you now know what to expect.

Thought the end scenes at the dance was a really nice (and cheezy in a good way) sentimental way to end the season.

• Like 1

I can't make up my mind about Vice Principals... I'm a huge fan of the first season of Eastbound and Down - it's almost the perfect season of comedy in my eyes and I must have watched it at least 20 times. The other three, not so much. They were mostly pretty shit and relied too much on shock value.

Vice Principals is similar in that it doesn't seem to have any actual jokes - it's just people swearing at each other with the occasional shocking/uncomfortable moment. The only laughs for me have been Gamby's turns of phrase. But that's better than no laughs at all and after saying all this, on the whole, I've enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Finished Mindhunter.

8/10 WB

Loved the development of Holden Ford.

From seemingly being immune to his exposure to his subjects to that final scene, which was harrowing! Plaudits to the actor who plays Ed Kemper too, so sinister. 

• Like 1

So Amazon and Warner Bros are negotiating with J.R.R Tolkien's estate about turning The Lord of the Rings into a TV series.

A television series based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings is currently in the works, with Amazon Studios reportedly the frontrunner to bring the classic fantasy novel to the small screen.

Ramble On: Rockers Who Love 'The Lord of the Rings'

Variety reports that the Tolkien estate has been shopping a new series about the 1954 novel to networks with help from Warner Bros. Television; the production company is also the home of New Line Cinema, which distributed director Peter Jackson's big-screen Lord of the Rings trilogy in the early 2000s.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is also reportedly involved in attempting to acquire the TV rights to The Lord of the Rings. As The Hollywood Reporter notes, the Warner Bros. and Tolkien estate partnership comes four months after the two sides resolved a five-year, $80 million lawsuit regarding profit participation (and slot machines) over the studio's Tolkien films.

Both The Hollywood Reporter and Variety add that the project, which would likely take a Game of Thrones approach to the subject matter, is a long way from being officially announced, with no writer or director yet on board to reinterpret Tolkien's epic.

Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy combined for nearly $3 billion at the box office when it was released in three installments – The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King – between 2001 and 2003. All three films were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture, with The Return of the King ultimately winning that award along with Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and eight more Oscars.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-in-the-works-w511077

The Tolkein Estate hates the movie adaptations, and isn't really that happy about adaptations full stop (hence them refusing to allow the Silmarillion rights to be acquired) so I'll be surprised if they are actively seeking to have a TV version made, and even more so a version helmed by the company that ultimately paid for the versions they got that they hate.

I think it's only Tolkein's grandson that even wants to talk about using the rights and he's supposedly been nearly disowned.

That aside, as someone who loves Tolkein's world, no. Just leave it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Tolkein Estate hates the movie adaptations, and isn't really that happy about adaptations full stop (hence them refusing to allow the Silmarillion rights to be acquired) so I'll be surprised if they are actively seeking to have a TV version made, and even more so a version helmed by the company that ultimately paid for the versions they got that they hate.

I think it's only Tolkein's grandson that even wants to talk about using the rights and he's supposedly been nearly disowned.

That aside, as someone who loves Tolkein's world, no. Just leave it.

There is also a Robert Jordan Wheel of Time TV series in the making.

The pull of the GOT money is strong.

23 hours ago, sne said:

So Amazon and Warner Bros are negotiating with J.R.R Tolkien's estate about turning The Lord of the Rings into a TV series.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-in-the-works-w511077

After the success of the GOT it was inevitable that LOTR would get considered. It's a big shout though because the films were so good and so successful that everyone will be comparing them.

Â