Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Trying out the Strain after my son nagged at me for about 2 years. Anyone seen it?

I really like it but it is god-awful shite at times. It has it's moments of greatness but there are some of the most laughable scenes in TV history along the way.

It has probably the most punchable child actor(s) in the world in it but it also has David Bradley in it & he's a villa fan :)

It finishes for good in a few weeks so now isn't a bad time to start as you'll be able to watch it all.

Edited by LakotaDakota

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

First episode of the Defenders is.. Well what you'd expect really. It's good to see Murdock and Jones back, it looks mostly good and err... Not a huge amount happens. It basically reintroduces all the cast and gives everyone a plot (...sorta) that will obviously lead to the team up. An enjoyable start but nothing earth shattering.

Couple of downs. The fight it opens with they decide to shoot in a dark tunnel with odd states of light and everything shoot in shadow. It looks crap and it's irritating to follow.

They have made a choice to assign each the Defenders a colour palette. In effect this means loads of Daredevil scenes are bathed in red, Jones blues and purples, Cage yellow etc. It can be subtle. But it often isn't. There's a really ugly Cage scene for instance that is so saturated yellow it almost looks like a dodgy transfer or something.

And another silly Cage problem. You could be blind with the dialogue off and know it's his scene. Why? His scenes have hip hop soundtracks. Really badly incongruous ones. It's really badly done. Laughably so.

But a decent start.

Just about to make a start on it now. Will probably watch half tonight & the rest tomorrow after i turn the Norwich game off at half time in disgust

• Like 1

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Trying out the Strain after my son nagged at me for about 2 years. Anyone seen it?

It's up and down - good in parts & laughably bad in others.

Like too many US shows - start with a great premise and it really works for about 6-8 episodes and then they get renewed for another season. Cue dragging out storylines and bringing in unnecessary characters/flashbacks/you name it just to keep everyone in a job.

• Thanks 1

Watched the first episode of the defenders, Netflix might argue they have a problem that they have to idiot proof it for people who's jump in point was that episode (not sure why though) and that they have several loose ties from all 4 series but it's still no excuse for what is basically a prologue and a very interesting one either, it's boring more than anything else

chindies commnts about the lighting and the music I couldn't shake! Spot on, it's a bit daft, again is it idiot proofing? It's a tinited yellow scene with hip hop music playing it must be Luke cage...I don't need that, I don't know who does

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

It's up and down - good in parts & laughably bad in others.

Like too many US shows - start with a great premise and it really works for about 6-8 episodes and then they get renewed for another season. Cue dragging out storylines and bringing in unnecessary characters/flashbacks/you name it just to keep everyone in a job.

Spot on. 

Even in the age of 'peak TV', so many shows suffer from being one or two seasons too long, or moving too far away from an original premise. 

Arguably the first big one like that was Lost imo. The success meant they had to keep churning out another series and the longer it went, the more obvious it became that they didn't really know what story they were trying to tell anymore. Culminating in 'that ending'

More recently, shows like 'Blindspot' and 'Blacklist' both started with pretty original themes, but have slowly just become generic 'cop shows' in one way or another. 

Thats why I admire shows like Banshee and The Leftovers, they knew when to quit whilst ahead and the quality never dropped as a result. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Spot on. 

Even in the age of 'peak TV', so many shows suffer from being one or two seasons too long, or moving too far away from an original premise. 

Arguably the first big one like that was Lost imo. The success meant they had to keep churning out another series and the longer it went, the more obvious it became that they didn't really know what story they were trying to tell anymore. Culminating in 'that ending'

More recently, shows like 'Blindspot' and 'Blacklist' both started with pretty original themes, but have slowly just become generic 'cop shows' in one way or another. 

Thats why I admire shoes like Banshee and The Leftovers, they knee when to quit whilst ahead and the quality never dropped as a result. 

Banshee was amazing!

One of the best shows I have ever seen. 

• Like 1

Saw the tv spots yesterday for The Defenders, the ones where it's about ten seconds on each of the four of them with a shitty loop of a shitty remix of Come As You Are as they plaster buzzwords on the screen whilst the characters do stupid poses like they're in a photo-booth.

Awful marketing. I wasn't keen on watching it before despite enjoying Daredevil and Jessica Jones, though I haven't watched Luke Cage or Ironfist due to pretty rubbish reviews, but those ads seriously put me off.

Doubt I'll be giving it the time of day with so many other great things to watch.

Edited by Ginko

On 8/19/2017 at 12:28, Xela said:

Banshee was amazing!

One of the best shows I have ever seen. 

Yeah Banshee was great. They took a leaf out of TWD's book and let people die to keep viewers on their toes. I watched the first season on a flight to America once before I realised how bloody it was. The kid next to me must've had nightmares for years after, I had to turn it off!

30 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Yeah Banshee was great. They took a leaf out of TWD's book and let people die to keep viewers on their toes. I watched the first season on a flight to America once before I realised how bloody it was. The kid next to me must've had nightmares for years after, I had to turn it off!

It was the right length for a show as well. 4 seasons IIRC. Not keen on shows that outstay their welcome. 

• Like 1

Defenders: Episode 1. Have to say it was really disappointing. Nothing really happened at all just showing what each of the four have been up to since their respected series ended and a introduction to Weavers character. I am sure it will get better, but I think they should have started with more of a "bang"

I'm 5 episodes in.

I'm enjoying it, it starts too slowly, but gets better.

The problems you could see coming months ago though. They messed up the villain. The Hand were always rubbish and having them lead by a new figure who is basically an older woman played by Sigourney Weaver picking up a cheque and bored wasn't a good idea. They need to do something astonishing to make her a good antagonist, and if my suspicions are correct, they aren't going to.

So basically you get a weak plot that's propped up by the fact Daredevil and Jessica Jones are good characters and there's a few good action scenes. They took 5 series to get here. 2 explicitly set up the Hand. This isn't good enough.

Defenders was ok, some nice moments but Finn Jones as iron fist is just crap again. He really is a poor actor.

Nothing happens for 3 episodes & in all honesty not a lot happens in the other 5. The fights aren't great, the story is dull but the chemistry between the characters (bar iron fist), some comedic moments  & Elodie Yung as Elektra just about save it.

Glad they kept it to a trim 8 episodes rather than dragging it out but not sure where they go with the individual shows from here.

Â