Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

HBO are making a Watchmen series.

Hmm.

Dunno what to make of that. HBO, good. Watchmen, good. But... The movie for it's faults is a good adaptation (it's nearly a panel for panel a copy for most of the run time), the story doesn't need revisiting really. And Damon Lindelof is involved. Ugh.

Hmm.

You can't make a show on the original alone. It would be what, 4 episodes tops? you couldn't realistically stretch anymore out of it? 

Its going to be interesting to see what it's going to be based on. Will they use the 'Before Watchmen' prequel material? I enjoyed those runs, despite the criticism they recieved from a lot of people. They didn't stack up to the original, but nothing does TBF. 

I'd like to see a limited run of say 3 seasons max, using some of the storylines from the prequels and ending with a new take on the original novel. 

Edited by wazzap24
Words

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Lindelof is ace. Leftovers is some of the best television I've ever seen.

He's a mixed bag. 

He was a big part of Lost which was generally ace, until the end. I agree The Leftovers is brilliant. 

But, Cowboys and Aliens and Prometheus were not very good. At all. 

So have bene watching three shows

finished wentworth season 5, wow what a fantastic ending to this series. one of the best serial prison dramas i have seen

better call saul i think episode 10 is finale was abit meh. good in parts slow in others

now i have started prison break at last, season one episode 3...

9 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

You can't make a show on the original alone. It would be what, 4 episodes tops? you couldn't realistically stretch anymore out of it? 

Its going to be interesting to see what it's going to be based on. Will they use the 'Before Watchmen' prequel material? I enjoyed those runs, despite the criticism they recieved from a lot of people. They didn't stack up to the original, but nothing does TBF. 

I'd like to see a limited run of say 3 seasons max, using some of the storylines from the prequels and ending with a new take on the original novel. 

You could spin out the original to a series. You'd just extrapolate everything. The origins of the Minute Men, the collapse of the Minute Men, the origin of Dr Manhattan, the Vietnam thing, the 'ban on capes'... That would all be an episode each at least. You'd have what... 5 episodes before the actual plot of Watchmen begins?

You could get away with never touching the Before Watchmen stuff. Which would generally be a good thing. You maybe could nick a few bits to fill out the background of some characters, but I'd leave a formal adaptation of those well alone. Most of them are truly awful.

But I just don't know why you'd bother. The movie has problems but it's a damn near copy of the comic, with a couple of notable adjustments to fix problems people might have with the plot. I don't see what you gain from adapting it again. And I love the comic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Better Call Saul Finale...

Hide contents

Aww poor Chuck ....Fired twice in one episode.:D

Great last episode. Fantastic series.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Great last episode. Fantastic series.

Even just the little things like the accent of the older brother in the tent at the start . I thought it was Michael  McKean. 

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Hide contents

Haha good one

Spoiler

Bet he gets saved.  I hope not he has run his course i feel. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Haha good one

Reveal hidden contents

Bet he gets saved.  I hope not he has run his course i feel. 

Spoiler

Starting to get the feeling we are looking at a 5 season run, the same as breaking bad. There is so much more mileage in this.

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

The swing of hating him, then feeling sorry for him, then hating him again was excellent. Fantastic actor. I'm thinking they let him die with Jimmy trying in vain to save him but failing, possibly that's the starting point for becoming Saul, maybe the only thing holding him back was his respect for his brother.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

On BCS... 

Hide contents

Can't see Chuck getting out of that. I don't think he even wants to. 

Spoiler

Yeah most definitely he was trying for a while to kick it over. But why not overdose, setting yourself on fire is a pretty brutal way to go

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

You could spin out the original to a series. You'd just extrapolate everything. The origins of the Minute Men, the collapse of the Minute Men, the origin of Dr Manhattan, the Vietnam thing, the 'ban on capes'... That would all be an episode each at least. You'd have what... 5 episodes before the actual plot of Watchmen begins?

You could get away with never touching the Before Watchmen stuff. Which would generally be a good thing. You maybe could nick a few bits to fill out the background of some characters, but I'd leave a formal adaptation of those well alone. Most of them are truly awful.

But I just don't know why you'd bother. The movie has problems but it's a damn near copy of the comic, with a couple of notable adjustments to fix problems people might have with the plot. I don't see what you gain from adapting it again. And I love the comic.

Fair points there (although I don't agree that the prequels were awful :P)

it's a lot of padding though, in the hands of a man with a questionable track record. 

I agree, I wouldn't have bothered personally, but in the right hands, there is nothing stopping it being good. There are a few key variables, the big one being how many seasons they see it running for. If we are talking a stand alone, one off, 8 episode run - they could do what you describe. 

If they want it to run for 3/4/5 seasons, they need some damn good writers and some damn good stories! 

So I've finally joined the modern world and signed up to Netflix. Spent the last few days watching Daredevil and it's absolutely superb so far. I liked that it was a slow burn instead of chucking everything in all at once. Some great character development too with everyone getting decent time and being fleshed out well. Just finished Season 1 and got season 2 downloaded for my night shifts the next few nights.

Took me ages to realise that Matt is Tristan from Stardust. 

Anyway, yeah, its bloody great. Private Pile is truly a great Villain, very menacing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

So I've finally joined the modern world and signed up to Netflix. Spent the last few days watching Daredevil and it's absolutely superb so far. I liked that it was a slow burn instead of chucking everything in all at once. Some great character development too with everyone getting decent time and being fleshed out well. Just finished Season 1 and got season 2 downloaded for my night shifts the next few nights.

Took me ages to realise that Matt is Tristan from Stardust. 

Anyway, yeah, its bloody great. Private Pile is truly a great Villain, very menacing. 

Wait until season 2

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought other way round personally, although the villain in one is better

It's a messier season IMO. It's got great moments, really great moments, and obviously adds in a good character played extremely well, but it has worse lulls and the plot is too bitty and divided. And it adds a character I can't stand played by the wrong actor. I still really enjoyed it, I've always loved Daredevil as a character and the second series builds on him and the dichotomy with being Matt Murdock too, but... That first series is so singularly good. And being an origin for Fisk really works exceptionally well.

I've a feeling Daredevil will be the best part of the Defenders, even from the little snippets we've had so far.

Â