Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

On 9 March 2017 at 20:26, sne said:

So thinking about starting to binge watching Fringe.

I've heard good things, although it may take a while to get into.

Anyone seen it?

Yep it's good. Got that guy from Dawson's creek, he is good in it

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Started watching Jenny Jones because of the reviews here. Thanks, it's great. Plus she's half naked a decent amount of time.

Didn't realise Baselayers had found a new career!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

I agree with you.

There is a problem with any story like Iron Fist, it's the white savior trope which is heavily embedded into loads of fiction and a bunch of comic characters from the 60s and 70s. White guy goes to other culture, becomes the best of them etc etc. But the characters origin is what it is, it's problematical but it's born of the 70s kung fu craze and you can't get away from that without basically making a new character.

I wouldn't have been bothered if they had bowed down to the clamour to make Danny of East Asian descent, because ultimately his origin doesn't need to have him be white. They would crash into another problem though - of course he can do martial arts, he's Chinese! That stereotype isn't helpful either.

But equally I'm not going to criticise them for not changing it. They've made changes elsewhere as you say and, Ancient One aside (see above for racist stereotype problem that damned them either way with that one), nobody cared. Heimdall isn't black, but people rightly like Elba in the role, Mordo is an old white guy, Ejiofor is great in the role. Hogarth is a man, that switched him to an openly lesbian character. Etc etc.

It just seems that false controversy has heavily coloured the critics IMO. Even the ones saying they put it aside don't ultimately. I've watched 5 episodes today and the show I've seen is largely not one I recognise from the reviews. It's not perfect at all, but it's not bad (opening episode aside, which is dreadful).

Sounds like a younger Keanu Reeves would have been perfect for the role . He's both white and asian , and can pull off a fight scene . Instead they cast the dude who shaves Renly Baratheons pubes. 

Saw a review for Netflix show "Love" on IGN. Not really my normal type of show but noticed Apatow was a producer and the article on IGN was quite complimentary actually so I decided to give it a few episodes.

I've basically binge watched the entire 2 seasons over the last few days and I have to say its a great little show. There's traces of Apatow all over this with some of the cruder elements (it also randomly throws in quite a few graphic sex scenes which are actually somewhat out of place with the other 95% of the show) At its core its really a very basic premise of an on and off relationship between 2 people that wouldn't normally get together. I think I may be in love with Gillian Jacobs who plays Mickey, having never seen or heard of her before and her natural acting style I assumed she may have been a relative newcomer but shes actually somewhat of a veteran but without ever getting that big part. Hopefully this show spreads a bit more and this is her big break finally because I would love to see more of her.

Think knocked up but drawn out as a tv series, it won't appeal to everyone but its well done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Gets better and better and better until.......

It gets cancelled.

A bit of a weird one that wasn't it? 

Pretty surprised Netflix didn't just jump in and take it on TBH. 

When you think of some of the shite that gets 5/6/7 or more series......

MM has said he hasn't given up hope of a revival. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

A bit of a weird one that wasn't it? 

Pretty surprised Netflix didn't just jump in and take it on TBH. 

When you think of some of the shite that gets 5/6/7 or more series......

MM has said he hasn't given up hope of a revival. 

Yup, Bryan Fuller is confident it'll return in some form, and all of the cast seems up for it. Has the potential to be up there with the very best if revived IMO!

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think I may be in love with Gillian Jacobs who plays Mickey, having never seen or heard of her before and her natural acting style I assumed she may have been a relative newcomer but shes actually somewhat of a veteran but without ever getting that big part. Hopefully this show spreads a bit more and this is her big break finally because I would love to see more of her.

Community. 

It's mentioned on every other page since page  1 of this thread man !:D 

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

On 27/05/2010 at 11:40, Brumerican said:

Modern Family is superb. Look out for Parks and Recreation and Community online. All cracking sitcoms.

30 Rock - All episodes

Modern Family complete season 1

Community complete season 1

Its always sunny in Philadelphia - All episodes

Parks and Rec seasons 1 and 2

7 years later from this post and they're still my  go to shows . Only Modern Family and Sunny left now and I think they're both near their end game. Apart from The Grinder (Which F*x cancelled) I haven't seen much that has the quality of the above recently . Hopefully they come in waves .

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

7 years later from this post and they're still my  go to shows . Only Modern Family and Sunny left now and I think they're both near their end game ,Apart from The Grinder (Which F*x cancelled) I haven't seen much that has the quality of the above these days . Hopefully they come in waves .

Just had a look back at my first post in this thread (page 1) and It's recommending Breaking Bad.

I win at life :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Just had a look back at my first post in this thread (page 1) and It's recommending Breaking Bad.

I win at life :D

30 Rock and Modern Family had already been mentioned in previous posts on page one , but I'm taking full credit for Parks and Rec, Sunny and Community .That's quite the resume.

If they do appear before on VT then it's just fake news.:D

• Like 2

This weeks Legion another good episode. The monologue at the end was brilliant, starting to drop hints about his father.

Just seen the first episode of Jessica Jones on the recommendation on her. Not seen other marvel to, I'm guessing I don't need to?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just seen the first episode of Jessica Jones on the recommendation on her. Not seen other marvel to, I'm guessing I don't need to?

Nah. You can watch it on its own. First episode of JJ is brilliant. 

Â