Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I feel the same as you about all of that.

Go on then 

Reveal hidden contents

What's the significance of the song? (I'm a dumbo!)

Spoiler

Shogun version of the massacre from season one.

• Thanks 1

On 21/05/2018 at 13:29, Chindie said:

Finished Evil Genius.

It's a bizarre story, I vaguely remember hearing about it in the years afterwards as one of those 'you won't believe this happened' takes, but it ultimately isn't as interesting as you'd think it would be. It's also quite padded even for a 4 episode show.

Reveal hidden contents

There's something inherently uninteresting about a story where you kinda know the end game from the start. The show realises this too late and tries to reframe it's interest in the story at the death, and gets a revelation that isn't that interesting.

It isn't a what, or a who, and there's little to grasp in the why of the story - you've got a mentally ill woman with money trouble surrounded by easily manipulated hangers on of variously compromised morals... I wonder how this happened?!

I thought it was better than you obviously did, but as far as the 'why' is concerned, my only conclusion is that the presence of 'Cocaine Ken' in the scene is not accidental, and that perhaps everyone involved was very much enjoying his supply. 

9 hours ago, V01 said:
  Hide contents

Shogun version of the massacre from season one.

Yeah, nothing too clever about it. Just a callback to a really memorable scene from the first episode. It telegraphed what was about to follow, so for just a few seconds I was sitting there thinking "are they really going to do this?". They did. It was brilliant.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Big Sky, Big Dreams, Big Art

I don't watch all that much TV, but there was the start of a new series on BBC 4 yesterday that I watched that ticked a few of my boxes. I quite like expansive american scenery, love the late work of Jackson Pollock and enjoy watching Waldemar Januszczak as a presenter (now Jonathan Meades is on less and less).

Learnt lots of little bits n bobs and connections I didn't previously know (and will doubtless forget again).

I enjoyed it. Boom.

Series looking at American art. The first episode is set in the Wild West and begins with the sublime art of the Hudson River School, whose 19th-century evocations of the vastness of America did so much to fuel the myth of the promised land. Another huge influence was the mysterious rock art of the Native Americans, which set a stirring precedent for non-naturalistic painting. The film culminates in a celebration of Jackson Pollock, born in Cody, Wyoming, who arrived in New York wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, and whose famous drip paintings were influenced heavily by both the moods of the American west and the example of Native American artists.

• Like 2

I've been re-watching Season 2 of The Bridge as I catch up to date with the new one having started and man I forgot how dark that show can be. Saga's and Martin's relationship really was a rollercoaster. Need a breather before re-visiting season 3. Think I'll explore this Atlanta, seems to keep getting good reviews

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Big Sky, Big Dreams, Big Art

I don't watch all that much TV, but there was the start of a new series on BBC 4 yesterday that I watched that ticked a few of my boxes. I quite like expansive american scenery, love the late work of Jackson Pollock and enjoy watching Waldemar Januszczak as a presenter (now Jonathan Meades is on less and less).

Learnt lots of little bits n bobs and connections I didn't previously know (and will doubtless forget again).

I enjoyed it. Boom.

I'm going to have to fit this in when the wife's out - she vetoed it on the grounds that she can't stand Januszczak. I can see her point in a way. 

He’s never going to be in the relegation zone whilst Gompertz, Portillo, Schama and Worsley etc. are still in the game. He’s admittedly a bit unorthodox, and it's fair to say my wife wasn't impressed either, she felt he made it about him. But then I liked the Jonathan Meades approach of sight gags and opinions, so I'm happy with the style.

On 23/05/2018 at 19:26, Davkaus said:

Bit hit and miss for me.

Hide contents

I'm not too invested in Maeve's storyline, and I didn't think with such a sprawling story, we needed even more characters introduced. Didn't really care for the whole Shogun thing at all, really. Please, narrative guy, tell us again that 'this isn't in the story'. Are the hosts not acting as you'd expect? 1.5 seasons in, this is hardly a **** revelation mate. One host has had you by the balls for almost an entire season, is that in the story?

Paint it Black, though. It took a few seconds to recognise the song, and when I did, I turned to the gf and said "They're not...Are they? The cheeky bastards". Had a big grin on my face through the entire scene, it was brilliant. 

It's the second time they've used that song. They used it on the first series but it was piano based. Because of the locatin they were in the instruments changed this season. Very clever. I love the music in Westworld.

Edit: just read up and I'm too late!

I've been watching Money Heist on Netflix. Sublime. It's Spanish but don't let the subtitles put you off, excellent series.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I've been watching Money Heist on Netflix. Sublime. It's Spanish but don't let the subtitles put you off, excellent series.

Thats on my list, so it's nice to hear its decent. The most watched non English show in Netflix history iirc.

I'm really enjoying Bosch at the moment. Up to the middle of season 2 and although it's clunky and a bit derivative at its core its just a very good old fashioned cop show. Titus Welliver is perfect in the title role.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I agree. I enjoyed it a lot. I do have one or two quibbles with it (the ending for one) but worth watching.

On 24/05/2018 at 09:04, Stevo985 said:

I've watched the first 4 episodes of Atlanta (it's on BBC at the moment).

It's great!

it really is fab. Completely unconventional and and unpredictable as a comedy show but really clever. His missus (who is in deadpool 2) is particularly lovely as well.

In fact everything "Dong Lover" touches seems to turn to gold. No coincidence there

38 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Wow, Cobra Kai.  Everything I hoped for and more.  Watched all 10 episodes yesterday.

first ive heard of it. watched the trailer and I am all in! just finished 13 reasons why season 2 and need something to cheer me up!

Behind the times as usual but the missus and I started Handmaid’s Tale (season 1) over the weekend and really enjoying it so far.

I think I’d presumed I knew what it’d be so wrote it off as “not my thing” and had previously given it a wide berth. Im sure it’s already been discussed in here but it is very good so far (3 or 4 episodes in).

• Like 2

Â