Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Just finished season 2 of House of Cards, loved it.

Time to start True Detective, looking forward to it. I sort of gave up on Suits early into season 2, it's very entertaining but doesn't really go anywhere, I like shows to develop characters more, and that burn a little slower in terms of storylines, Suits gave me a similar experience to that of House, well acted, entertaining, but doesn't really go anywhere, kind of like a one night stand.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

Harrelson is supposed to be "annoying". You're supposed to hear his character sipping his tea, clearing his throat, breathing heavily, because his character calls for it. Marty is an arrogant, pompous, self righteous arsehole, but he's also insecure and the thought of not being heard terrifies him.

Look how he bottled it at the biker party, he had to play cowboy. He couldn't stand being on the sidelines

The "over acting" is completely intentional and Woody nails it.

I still think he overacts slightly and I can see that he's acting, by which I mean for me it is harder to suspend belief when watching him perform than say it is when watching McConaughey.

But that doesn't make him a bad actor or anything or take away from my enjoyment of the show.

Harrelson is supposed to be "annoying". You're supposed to hear his character sipping his tea, clearing his throat, breathing heavily, because his character calls for it. Marty is an arrogant, pompous, self righteous arsehole, but he's also insecure and the thought of not being heard terrifies him.

Look how he bottled it at the biker party, he had to play cowboy. He couldn't stand being on the sidelines

The "over acting" is completely intentional and Woody nails it.

I still think he overacts slightly and I can see that he's acting, by which I mean for me it is harder to suspend belief when watching him perform than say it is when watching McConaughey.

But that doesn't make him a bad actor or anything or take away from my enjoyment of the show.

Suffice to say I completely disagree. Human beings "over act" all the time. What you're seeing is that, somebody over compensating for their own lack of self worth.

Id agree that he as an actor has a tendency towards over acting, I'd imagine that's why he was picked for the role.

Perfect.

It's no big deal for me I still really enjoy the show and I was probably unfair with my comment about not being able to suspend belief when watching him act thats not really true, I get lost right into it.

The incidental noises I mention was really only a really small thing and it's something I've seen in other actors too. One actor who seems really good at that sort of stuff and comes across as completely natural is James Gandolfini when playing Tony Soprano.

My point was never that Woody Harrelson is a bad actor or even that he isn't a good actor, and I agree that he's perfect for the role as Marty. Although there's a reason it's called True Detective and not True Detectives ;)

Anyway I've really enjoyed the show and it'll be interesting to see what some of the other posters make of it when it airs on British TV.

i thought the the 1st series of heroes was brilliant, and i mean just shy of the sopranos / the wire brilliant

its decline was amazing, still cant bring myself to finish season 3, it simply doesn't make any sense, i'd like to blame the writers strike but i dont know, the writing from the 2nd season onward is painfully bad

i thought the the 1st series of heroes was brilliant, and i mean just shy of the sopranos / the wire brilliant

its decline was amazing, still cant bring myself to finish season 3, it simply doesn't make any sense, i'd like to blame the writers strike but i dont know, the writing from the 2nd season onward is painfully bad

Yep.

1st season brilliant. 2nd season ok. 3rd season dreadful (never finished it). Was there more than 3?

Â