Does The Sun Make Us Happier?

AVFCLaura

Do you feel happier when the sun is shining?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel happier when the sun is shining?

• Yes - I love the sun!
    • No
    • Everyone else seems to, but I don't
    • I prefer other weather types

Not the tabloid, the sunshine... 8)

It's a BEAUTIFUL day today in the East Midlands. Sunlight is believed to affect the production of Endorphins. These hormones play a role in giving us a sense of "well-being" and happiness.

In a 1980 study, it was concluded that exposure to sunlight produces the same benefits as exercise: increases in strength, energy, endurance, tolerance to stress, and the ability of the blood to absorb and carry oxygen; and decreasing the resting heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate, blood sugar and lactic acid.

Does the sunshine do it for you? Everyone at my work on this beautiful day seems brighter, more alert, positive and happier. Do you feel happier when the sun is shining or do you notice other people do?

Helps you absorb vitamin D and low vitamin D is tied to depression and bad moods so yes, chemically, the sun makes you feel better.

Helps you absorb vitamin D and low vitamin D is tied to depression and bad moods so yes, chemically, the sun makes you feel better.

This..

There is a condition called SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder, which people can suffer with in winter because there is less light. Sitting under a special lamp is considered a cure.

Personally I like a bit of sunshine and I tan really easily as I'm dark, but I never sunbathe as IMHO it damages your skin.

I'd hate to live somewhere where it was hot all the time..I like the other sorts too, but I answered Yes to the poll.

I find it much easier to get up in the summer.

Whilst I am too a hayfever sufferer, I feel much better when the sun is out. Helps that my office has a nice courtyard which makes it a lovely place to work when the sun is out. I don't like boiling hot sunshine, but morning sun especially and days of around 22-23 degrees are awesome.

These

2lclso.jpg

are one of the reasons why the sun makes me happier. Bought them last week, feel great and had a ton of compliments wearing them. Yipppeeeee summer clothes and accessories!!!!

I like seasons. A bit of sunshine is nice in the spring and summer, but I love autumn and winter too. Contrasts.

My missus has borderline SAD I reckon. She gets quite depressed on days with no sunshine. Doesn't bother me that much.

As Pete Townshend once put it:

I dig every second

I can laugh in the snow and rain

I get a buzz from being cold and wet

The pleasure seems to balance out the pain

Â