Steve McLaren becomes new Wolfsburg manager.

MrWeedMcGrass

Has McLaren reedemed himself after the England debacle  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Has McLaren reedemed himself after the England debacle

• Yes , he has proved he is a decent club manager and deserves the credit he is getting.
    • No , he is still a shit manager who got lucky.

McClaren heads for Germany as Wolfsburg win race to sign him

Steve McClaren yesterday called time on "two fantastic years" in the Netherlands to join the German club Wolfsburg.

The former England manager has rebuilt his reputation at FC Twente, leading the previously unheralded club to their first Eredivisie title in the season that has just finished. That achievement caught the eye of several clubs around Europe with Wolfsburg winning the chase for the 49-year-old's signature.

Give the man credit for rebuilding his career after his disastrous . reputation destroying stint with England. Now , after winning the title with Twente against the likes of Ajax and PSV, he is ready to try his hand in a 'Big' league in Europe after the PL. I wish him success with his new club but it won't be an easy task. This is not the Eriedivisie where you destroy teams like VVV and Sparta. They do have money though , unlike Twente and do attract quality players.

Thoughts.

He had a decent record with Boro prior to the England job and has done a great job for Twente, I just think the England job was too big for him and that he was far far too young and inexperienced. A little like Bobby Robson he was probably given the England job far too early in his career, although Robson did a good job he would have been a far better England manager after his time abroad and I think the same is true of McLaren.

He just wasn't strong enough to deal with the England dressing room, to be hard enough with the 'star' names who he was far too close too (in part due to his previous role) and he made a rod for his own back with the wags thing.

In the end he was a disastor as an England manager but he took a brave move in going to Holland and its paid off for him and now he has a good opportunity to really make a name for himself in Europe. If he does I can see him very much taking over Robson's mantle in Europe before returning to these shores with his head held high, it will be some transformation.

I won't though ever forgive him for the umbrella or for that dodgy fake Dutch accent he picked up in two weeks, I look forward to him sounding like Herr Flick from Allo Allo any day now.

Haha, agree cent percent with ya there TV. I guess he is more of a coach than a manager , probably why he' has had the success he's had in Europe where the setup is quite different to what we see in England. His teams always played decent passing football(England being the exception) which reinforces the fact that he thrives in a club environment where he actually coaches the players rather than an International setup where its all about getting the players fit mentally and play to the right tactics , not much coaching involved there.

I doubt whether he will ever be successful as an International manager but his club credentials are sound and he will keep progressing.

The bloke finished 2nd and 1st in the Dutch league with a club who weren't Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord. Credit where credit's due!

Was always a good club manager. Did well as Fergie's number two and did very well with Boro while he was in charge. Look what's happened to them since he left.

A very good manager and a world class coach. He will thrive in Germany. I think his style is more suited to abroad than England

Problem with England he was managing too many players that didnt respect him.

I think going abroad was a very good decision for him. His reputation was in tatters over here so i don't think he'd have had the same success, purely from a lack of respect.

I think going abroad was a very good decision for him. His reputation was in tatters over here so i don't think he'd have had the same success, purely from a lack of respect.

I agree I think after England the only jobs he would have got at home would be in the Championship

Also worth mentioning he's the first Englishman to win a major European league since Bobby Robson won the portugese league with benfica 20 odd years ago.

Ok the Dutch league isn't quite what it was, but to win it with Twente is a very good achievement.

A very good manager and a world class coach. He will thrive in Germany. I think his style is more suited to abroad than England

Problem with England he was managing too many players that didnt respect him.

I dont think it was anything to do with a lack of respect to be honest, more a succession of spectacularly bad decisions, starting with his 'clean sweep' upon appointment.

Credit where it's due, thats a fantatsic achievement with Twente and builds on his decent Boro experience.

Â