Next leader of the Labour Party should be.....

chrisp65

and the next Labour leader should be......  

132 members have voted

1. 1. and the next Labour leader should be......

• Dave Miliband
    • Ed Balls
    • Ed Miliband
    • Alan Johnson
    • Dennis Skinner
    • Eddie Izzard
    • Workers co-operative along marxist leninist lines
    • Pointless box for token inclusion of celt fringes
    • None of the above
    • Ross Kemp
    • A Female
    • Dianne Abbott

If Labour lurch to the left they'll be out for 3 terms until they realise their error and try again
It's kind of like when the rich protest against new taxes claiming they'll hurt the poor.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone that will take the Labour party back to its roots. The new Labour project was a case of '**** the core vote who else have they got'... Need to go back to them and be the Labour party not a set of pseudo Tories.

I went with Ed Milliband who appears to be more in that vain than David. Crudas is a good shout though.

yes they should revert to being a party that could never agree on anything, were synonymous with economic naivety and couldnt win elections for toffee. where did the party's roots get them? not very far at all.

admittedly Blair and the New Labour project did move from the left in a bid to appeal to 'middle income middle britain' but the less privileged in our society still benefited immeasurably more under a central Labour administration than they would have done under the toffs.

Ed Miliband on the Andrew Marr show has called for a "proper debate" in the contest for the Labour leadership.

Am I the only one that thinks that the Labour leadership contest is going to be drawn out to keep the successful candidate and his many soundbites in the public domain, just in case we have another election sooner than the new government think?

Two loving brothers will of course make it a cuddly campaign, which will surely give a 'caring' aura around Labour that was not apparent while they were in government.

From the list of candidates I'd say labour are doomed

for example anyone who saw Balls acceptance speech after his election win would know he isn't fit to be an MP yet alone lead a party

labours best bet would be jack straw at least he would be respected by his peers and the public

No mate, the election should take time. There are numerous reasons, the grass roots members have to be consulted, they have to look at outside factors like the media bias - horrible that it is, the UK is a pop-idol run mentality it seems. Also the merge parliament we have will make a difference because we have to see how far right they will drive us and what stupidity and unfairness they will inflict.

A leadership of any party is not a life term, its a tenure for a period of time to address the issues

p.s. - cuddly campaign? :-) - hang on have you seen the Dave / Nick love in? My how we giggled at their jokes on the lawn ........

labours best bet would be jack straw at least he would be respected by his peers and the public

As a non-Labour voter I might, just might, be swayed to vote for them if circumstances dictated and if there was a moderate leader, and if Mandelson and Campbell were nowhere in sight of their powerbase.

I don't think that Jack Straw is someone that fits the bill as a moderate leader.

p.s. - cuddly campaign? :-) - hang on have you seen the Dave / Nick love in? My how we giggled at their jokes on the lawn ........

See,

First Blair copies Thatcher, and now the Milibands are copying cool Dave.

Doesn't Labour have any ideas of their own? :winkold:

See,

First Blair copies Thatcher, and now the Milibands are copying cool Dave.

Doesn't Labour have any ideas of their own? :winkold:

labour will be much more cuddly.

027gordonschums_468x596.jpg

The only person outside of that clique in the contest, and after that the inner chamber of the shadow cabinet, will be Cruddas.

Has Kemp got a decent chance if he puts his hat in? Could he be rushed into parliament?

to be honest there are so many skeletons in that particular family cupboard I think the press would have a field day, more shagging and knocking off of each others relatives and spouses than an Austrian house party

Despite the fact their MP's are opposed to it, a full PR system would be the only vehicle to give the hard left any say in national government, imo.

By a full PR system I take it you mean the list system and not this AV bollocks (which isn't close to being "full pr")

And if that is the case then how does the hard left, not even close to being in control of the Labour Party get to nominate candidates for the list and then actually get them on the list above say 450th place?

Unless of course you meant some smaller actually left wing party that had MP's (no wait, you can't mean the Greens, they only have one MP)

Or it could possibly be that you are scaremongering or don't understand what you talking about

Despite the fact their MP's are opposed to it, a full PR system would be the only vehicle to give the hard left any say in national government, imo.

By a full PR system I take it you mean the list system and not this AV bollocks (which isn't close to being "full pr")

Yes, Labour were in favour of AV pre-election but opposed to full PR. That's why I said it.

And if that is the case then how does the hard left, not even close to being in control of the Labour Party...

...Yet. Labour lurched hard left the last time they lost power, it is not inconceivable that they will do so again. It depends whether or not they reject Blairism and go back to their roots as some of their supporters on here have been suggesting they should.

Or it could possibly be that you are scaremongering

No, just discussing possibilities.

or don't understand what you talking about

.... :)