The New Condem Government

bickster

Neil is a **** prick and rather ineffective at his job. That is all I have to say on that chap.
I agree - maybe the BBC can save money by getting rid of him. Controversial but I would rather have Portillo actually chair that programme

Neil is a **** prick and rather ineffective at his job. That is all I have to say on that chap.
I agree - maybe the BBC can save money by getting rid of him. Controversial but I would rather have Portillo actually chair that programme

So would I, I quite like Portillo and he can actually hold a conversation without his own feelings/beliefs spilling out.

Just to add, its not Neil's political view point I don't like, I would be the same if he was a raving lefty. I just think people in his position should be above letting personal beliefs influence their jobs.

tried and IMO failed to give him a rough ride

so the sweat dripping out of Milliband and he stuttered his answers was all down to nerves of being on TV was it :shock:

Agree with Portillo though , he seems to come across very well on that show .. speaks sense and with knowledge

shame he was never really that humble and like able when he was a politician

I'm glad you said that about the difference in him now to when he was in politics, I couldn't stand him at the time he seemed so pompus and arrogant, now he seems like a pretty nice bloke.

I wasn't sure if I've changed, or if I got him wrong in the past or if he had changed that much.

Any connection to the change in his personal life do you think?

Could just be politics brings out the worst in people .. Ken Livingston who comes across as annoying ,arrogant , bitter and twisted has been at a few of our Industry events and is actually a really nice person

think Portillo changed as losing his seat maybe kicked the arrogance out of him .. hasn't quite happened with Ken though :-)

QT is dispelling the myth that the old LibDem's are not part of the same party as the old Tory party. Absolutely disgusting performance from them

Just checked all the News sites and can't see any stories of this merger

You keep concentrating on that Gareth and leave the fact that millions of ex-LibDems have been conned and deserted by their poodle leaders by joining with the Tory party.

I really don't think thats true, the LibDems were always the party that would do anything to get elected. GOing back in time there have been countless examples of the LibDems saying anything they thought would be popular, they've just reverted to type as far as I'm concerned. The LibDems were always the desperate for power party

I wasn't sure if I've changed, or if I got him wrong in the past or if he had changed that much.

He gives the impression that he has changed.

I think he still has roughly the same political outlook (though probably a bit wetter than he was) but appears much more willing to acknowledge that there are other possibilities out there.

I think Tony probably has it partly right, too.

I'd love Mr Osbourne to share his plan with the rest of us as personally I think this clueless , arrogant prick is leading us up shit creek without a paddle.

From what I can see the strategy appears to be slash and burn and hope that some green shoots of recovery eventually emerge. In the meantime hundreds of thousands of people will be losing jobs, hundreds of thousands of children will suffer due to the cut in education spending and millions of us will be far worse off due to the increase in VAT.

All partys were in agreement that the size of the state had become too big and cuts needed to be made. Cuts reportedly of up to 40%, not hard to believe given we have a Tory led government, will have a massive knock on effect with in the private sector as public sector demand will come to a complete stop. The cuts made should be much less and done in such a way that allows private sector demand to pick up and therefore jobs created and the public sector demand slows.

Cuts of the size being made mean we heading back into recession only this time for far longer.

The shocking thing is that the Libs are standing side by side with the Tories for no other reason than it has allowed them a small taste of power whilst the rest of us get **** over. Our only hope is that this coalition will soon implode and I have a feeling that in the coming months it will as I can see many Libs no longer able to stomach what is being served up.

is leading us up shit creek without a paddle.

Newflash .. we were already there ..the previous clueless , arrogant prick put us there and also burnt all the trees so we couldn't craft some more oars :winkold:

whether he can get us out remains to be seen

the economist yesterday didn't seem to be able to call it .. was along the lines of we've never been in a situation like this before and nobody is really sure what will and won't work .. Osbourne may prove to be right ..or wrong .. think it's too early to start writing him off just yet ... the bond market and Sterling are reacting well to Osbourne's plans .. the drawback to that is that for exports we actually don't want Sterling to get strong

is leading us up shit creek without a paddle.

Newflash .. we were already there ..the previous clueless , arrogant prick put us there and also burnt all the trees so we couldn't craft some more oars :winkold:

whether he can get us out remains to be seen

the economist yesterday didn't seem to be able to call it .. was along the lines of we've never been in a situation like this before and nobody is really sure what will and won't work .. Osbourne may prove to be right ..or wrong .. think it's too early to start writing him off just yet ... the bond market and Sterling are reacting well to Osbourne's plans .. the drawback to that is that for exports we actually don't want Sterling to get strong

well he said that anyone giving a definite answer either way is lying, even Osbourne puts 'we/I believe' before the actions he lays out, because even he knows that he is relying on unknown factors like growth and job creation out of this recession.

it's not really a case of tick the boxes and get a return.

correlation does not imply...

yes it does because sales of gilts over the coming year will be lower than expected.

With the UK able to issue five-year gilts with a coupon of less than 2.5%, the Government’s borrowing costs are lower than inflation, which represents a very good deal

or something like that

The IMF thinks that his attempts are actually detrimental to what was in place before.

Meanwhile another broken promise about hitting frontline services appears

Health service cuts and lies

GP practices are set to be handed responsibility for most health services under ministerial plans for a radical shake-up of the NHS in England.

Local trusts and strategic health authorities would be sharply scaled back to make way for their new role.

Health Secretary Andrew Lansley believes GPs are best placed to understand patients' needs and to decide where money should be spent.

But there are concerns GPs may not have the skills or will to take on the role.

Others have questioned how they would be held accountable.

Analysis

Continue reading the main story

Nick Triggle,

Health reporter, BBC News

Before becoming health secretary in the new coalition government, Andrew Lansley spent six-and-a-half years shadowing the brief. That is almost unheard of in politics.

It meant he came into the job with a clear vision of what he wanted to achieve. Indeed, he had already started talking to the British Medical Association before the election.

He believes - and doctors agree - that the medical profession is best placed to know what works and should, therefore, be handed the purse strings.

But if the proposals are to work there needs to be strong accountability to ensure doctors do not get themselves into a financial mess. Who will perform that role is as yet unclear.

Everyone involved will be looking to see if the white paper answers that key question next week.

Read your comments Q&A: The NHS shake-up

Discussions with doctors' representatives over the plans are continuing, and the government has confirmed it will publish further details in a white paper next week.

'Radical plans'

The NHS budget currently stands at £100bn a year. About 80% of this is given to local health managers working for 152 primary care trusts, which in turn commission services for their areas.

The plans involve setting up groups of practices which would work together in consortia, then buy in management skills, possibly from people doing the same job for existing primary care trusts.

The consortia would take charge of billions of pounds of funds for mental health, hospital and community services.

The NHS budget has been protected by the coalition government, and is not subject to the severe cuts of other Whitehall departments.

But the health service has been told to save up to £20bn by 2014 to help it cope with the ageing population, rising drug prices and lifestyle changes such as obesity.

The Royal College of Nursing has claimed almost 10,000 posts - double the number from two months ago - are being cut despite government promises to protect frontline services.

The white paper is also expected to make reference to the creation of an independent NHS board to oversee NHS services.

Market dynamic

The acting chief executive of the NHS Confederation, Nigel Edwards, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme there were "some quite significant risks" in transition to the new system.

"Obviously it is going to take time to implement this and the PCTs at the moment are the people who keep the lid on the performance and financial management of the system," he said.

We will have to see the details, but there is certainly a willingness to look at this

Dr Laurence Buckman, British Medical Association

Mr Edwards also said the reform would move the NHS from a market where large organisations place big contracts, to one similar to the gas or telecoms market, where demand is shaped by many individual purchasing decisions.

"I think the concept here is lots of individual decisions by GPs - when they make referrals and send people to hospital - will be added up and we will have a greater market dynamic," he said.

"GPs will also help plan services and direct strategy for hospitals by telling hospitals what they need for the longer term."

Mr Edwards said he expected many GPs to recruit former staff from PCTs to help them cope with the additional workload, which will involve "quite a big step up from what they've been doing before".

Values

The move to having GP consortia controlling spending has long been championed by Mr Lansley - and in recent months the British Medical Association has indicated it is open to working with the government on the idea.

Dr Laurence Buckman, chairman of the BMA's GPs committee, said: "We will have to see the details, but there is certainly a willingness to look at this."

GPs will also help plan services and direct strategy for hospitals by telling hospitals what they need for the longer term

Nigel Edwards NHS Confederation

He added the plans had the potential to improve services as GPs were "much quicker to respond to patients".

Dr Mike Dixon, chairman of the NHS Alliance, a group of doctors who support GPs getting involved in commissioning, agreed.

"Staff on the front-line know what is good care and what is bad care. They are more sensitive to the needs of patients and I think this will lead to better outcomes."

A spokesman for the Department of Health said details of its plans for a patient-centred NHS would be published in a white paper shortly.

He added: "In recent speeches, the Health Secretary has set out the values and vision for an NHS centred on patients.

"He has already emphasised the need to liberate the NHS to focus on outcomes and improving results for patients.

"And in a speech to the BMA on 2 July, he highlighted the importance of empowering doctors and nurses in the NHS to deliver quality standards and services. The details of how this vision will take effect will be set out soon."

So assuming the idea for efficiency is to put the correctly skilled people doing the correct job? What makes the ConDem's think that a GP is good at "balancing the books"? That is not their skill at all, and all we will see - as it says in the article - is the use of private and outside people to run that side. Where is the logic in that?

He gives the impression that he has changed.

I think he still has roughly the same political outlook (though probably a bit wetter than he was) but appears much more willing to acknowledge that there are other possibilities out there.

I think Tony probably has it partly right, too.

I agree he has chilled out politically but essentially is the same political animal although interestingly he used to be part of Labour at a young age.

Its not so much that though, it seems to me like he has changed as a person rather than his politics.

I just wonder if the deception of his private life manifested itself in his personality in some way. If I recall correctly he lost his seat in 97 then came out in 98.

Its not hard to imagine once the dust had settled on the dramatic end of his career that it was actually a relief allowing him to be who he really was.

I seem to recall he had a horrible arrogance about him which appears to have gone.

I'm interested why the subject of education seems to not to be commented on by those to the right of centre.

What do you think of Gove and what he is doing?

I think my position will be clear to those who know my thoughts on the subject over the months, I'm not looking at attack people on their views. Its just the silence on the matter (I may have missed some posts granted) seems at least to me to be an indication that perhaps just perhaps not everyone on the right is comfortable with his actions. I might be wrong, I'd just be interested to hear peoples views.

I would also be interested in the views of those who voted Liberal on what Gove is doing and how it sits with the traditional Liberal values and their own policies and beliefs about education.

[the bond market and Sterling are reacting well to Osbourne's plans

erm you clearly haven't been paying attention in the last week, the pound has slumped to under the 1:20 mark when it had reached 1:23 plus, its dropped close on 4 cents from its peak a week ago and is motoring downwards as we speak

EDI: I should point out this is against the piss weak Euro too, which is what I've been monitoring

Â