The New Condem Government

bickster

Portillo's boyhood hero - Harold Wilson?

That's a surprise (though becomes less so when you read some of the things that Porillo writes about Wilson and others - the admiration seems to centre around the ability to gain power/influence).

Edited by snowychap

The government's plan to compel supermarkets to charge 5p (and rising) for a carrier-bag seems likely to be as irrational in its implementation as it was in its conception.

No doubt they will take their guidance for how to apply it from the likes of M&S, who charge customers who buy food, which the government consider a necessity, but don't charge customers who buy a set of frillies, which the government class as a luxury.

I expect Cameron and his cronies will claim that it proves they care about the environment, while hoping that we fail to notice their policy of handing out planning permission for every out-of-town supermarket, which leads to a massive increase in food-miles.

The money saved on parking charges balances it out though.  At no point should anyone be charged to park their car to go shopping,  it makes no sense at all.  People are actively trying to put money in the economy but local councils would rather people use the petrol to get out of the town's.  I refuse to pay for parking in Haarlem as it's € 5 for a couple of hours,  they can forget that as that is just not happening.  

I buy everything is of the internet now.  

In the town / village I live in there are 25  % empty shops.  Lots of paid parking spaces to go around though :-)  words removed.

• Like 1

In theory, of course, out-of-town supermarkets should be forced to charge for parking to off-set the 'externalised costs' they inflict on the area where they are located - traffic congestion and pollution (both atmospheric and noise).

This would level the playing field for the High Street businesses.

The income should be used to lower the community charge of local residents.

Well it looks like the Lib Dems finally turned the corner in yesterday's Newark by election.

They were comfortably safe in sixth place beating the Loony Party candidate by over 800 votes.

The government's plan to compel supermarkets to charge 5p (and rising) for a carrier-bag seems likely to be as irrational in its implementation as it was in its conception.

No doubt they will take their guidance for how to apply it from the likes of M&S, who charge customers who buy food, which the government consider a necessity, but don't charge customers who buy a set of frillies, which the government class as a luxury.

I expect Cameron and his cronies will claim that it proves they care about the environment, while hoping that we fail to notice their policy of handing out planning permission for every out-of-town supermarket, which leads to a massive increase in food-miles.

The money saved on parking charges balances it out though.  At no point should anyone be charged to park their car to go shopping,  it makes no sense at all.  People are actively trying to put money in the economy but local councils would rather people use the petrol to get out of the town's.  I refuse to pay for parking in Haarlem as it's € 5 for a couple of hours,  they can forget that as that is just not happening.  

In the town / village I live in there are 25  % empty shops.  Lots of paid parking spaces to go around though :-)  words removed.

Similar issues in England.

Gravesend Town Centre for example is £12 a day to park. Within 20mis drive both Bluewater and Lakeside. Where you can park all day for free. Which one of the 3 is the ghost town?

Seems like a bit fratricide going on between Gove and May at Education and the Home Office. Surely the fact Muslim extremists have been turning over 20 of Birmingham's schools into havens of Wahhabism is more important than passing the buck?

Seems like a bit fratricide going on between Gove and May at Education and the Home Office. Surely the fact Muslim extremists have been turning over 20 of Birmingham's schools into havens of Wahhabism is more important than passing the buck?

Its got nothing to do with buck passing or even about the grossly over exaggerated influence of a few nutters in a few schools.

What it is about is who is going to lead the Tories next. Neither of whom are as appealling a character as Cameron, and that takes some doing.

• Like 1

Similar issues in England.

Gravesend Town Centre for example is £12 a day to park. Within 20mis drive both Bluewater and Lakeside. Where you can park all day for free. Which one of the 3 is the ghost town?

Jesus, thats a lot, used to live near there too.

Clegg saying that he wants to get rid of this idea that the LibDems sold out by allying with the Tories. Well, good luck with that, mate...

• Like 4

Clegg saying that he wants to get rid of this idea that the LibDems sold out by allying with the Tories. Well, good luck with that, mate...

By saying he sold out the Lib Dems by allying with the Tories?

• Like 2

Michael Gove wants British schools to teach British values. My mind boggles as to what values Michael Gove could possibly have in mind seeing as he's a member of a political party that have hammered the poorest, lied, stolen, sold public assets to friends on the cheap whilst simultaneously eroding our democracy.

• Like 4

Pints!

Welcome to the dark side of Off Topic - the bollitics threads. :)

Although I'd like to say it was the cream tea that drew me in, I've posted in here before :D

I love all this bollitics lark.

Although I'd like to say it was the cream tea that drew me in, I've posted in here before :D

I love all this bollitics lark.

Oops. Well, don't I look the berk? :)

Not for the first time - I know, I know.

Edited by snowychap

I don't think we should grant export licences to sell arms to countries like Saudi Arabia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen and Zimbabwe. I value human life over money, the government don't. So Gove has very little room to talk about values whilst he's an active member in that horrible little gang of arms dealers.

Michael Gove wants British schools to teach British values. My mind boggles as to what values Michael Gove could possibly have in mind seeing as he's a member of a political party that have hammered the poorest, lied, stolen, sold public assets to friends on the cheap whilst simultaneously eroding our democracy.

I think he means pluralism but due to our lousy educational system he can't expect anyone to understand what that means.

• Like 1

Â