The New Condem Government

bickster

When you have outlets like the Torygraph, Mail and Sun showing this up, you know they have screwed up

Not only the media are mocking him for his pathetic attempted PR puff.  Even this Cabinet colleague is publicly mocking him for it.

Picklespisstake_zpsef6f285c.jpg

i have seen some stupid stuff written but the front page of that rag the sun today has to be the most ridiculous thing ive seen. so what if he is eating a poxy burger!

Well, the point is that he posted a carefully staged photo entirely aimed at getting across the message "I'm just an ordinary guy, like you" and then managed to undermine it completely through using a burger at a price that "ordinary guys" generally don't want to pay. 

I'm guessing you don't visit the real world much ?

D'you know what, here's a comment from the real world, filtered through the medium of Sky.

...According to reports, it was ordered from a branch 1.6 miles from Downing Street despite a string of McDonalds being closer and with burgers at 99p.

One critic who wrote into Sky News said: "Being a not so well off pensioner I feel I must comment on all those photos of an out of touch Chancellor stuffing himself with a £10 burger"...

Do you really not get it?  It's not that his choice was wrong as a foodstuff (it wasn't), it's that the picture and the tweet were not the simple insight into his demanding life that was presented, but a contrived and wholly staged arrangement to put across an essentially false message; and that it was undermined by being able to be so easily made fun of.

As a Downing Street spokesman said,

"I think the Chancellor is relatively new to Twitter."

Translated, yes, we think he's an arse as well.

• Like 4

It's interesting what Osborne sees as funny, a lot of his character shines through with his comments like "joking" that Brown was suffering from Autism etc. Maybe his public school upbringing and the "oik" comments that he suffered from has tainted him in some way. He certainly does seem to be a complete dick head - and I mean that as a compliment

• Like 1

i have seen some stupid stuff written but the front page of that rag the sun today has to be the most ridiculous thing ive seen. so what if he is eating a poxy burger!

Well, the point is that he posted a carefully staged photo entirely aimed at getting across the message "I'm just an ordinary guy, like you" and then managed to undermine it completely through using a burger at a price that "ordinary guys" generally don't want to pay.

I'm guessing you don't visit the real world much ?

D'you know what, here's a comment from the real world, filtered through the medium of Sky.

...According to reports, it was ordered from a branch 1.6 miles from Downing Street despite a string of McDonalds being closer and with burgers at 99p.

One critic who wrote into Sky News said: "Being a not so well off pensioner I feel I must comment on all those photos of an out of touch Chancellor stuffing himself with a £10 burger"...

Do you really not get it? It's not that his choice was wrong as a foodstuff (it wasn't), it's that the picture and the tweet were not the simple insight into his demanding life that was presented, but a contrived and wholly staged arrangement to put across an essentially false message; and that it was undermined by being able to be so easily made fun of.

As a Downing Street spokesman said,

"I think the Chancellor is relatively new to Twitter."

Translated, yes, we think he's an arse as well.

Well your latest post contradicts your first post but we will let that slide ( i.e your first post says it was about the cost of the burger , you second post says it isn't about the cost )

I've already posted that he ( and all politicans for that matter ) should stay well away from twitter in answer to your second post

Much as I despise George Osborne, do people really expect the position of chancellor not to carry a salary where he can afford a £10 burger ?   

It's not that. It's his misguided thought process that 'they'll see me eating a burger so they'll think I'm an everyman'

It's been blown up massively though and I hate Osbourne.

• Like 2

fair play to the Queen, she's **** earned that pay rise, well done love

£6million rise this year, another £2million next

they're going to have to find quite a few illicit bedrooms amongst the scrounging classes to fund that

Edited by chrisp65

Us right wingers were intelligent enough to find the article back in Feb 2012 when it was written though :)

But did you find it, or were you sent a copy in return for taking part in the study?

• Like 4

Much as I despise George Osborne, do people really expect the position of chancellor not to carry a salary where he can afford a £10 burger ?   

It's not that. It's his misguided thought process that 'they'll see me eating a burger so they'll think I'm an everyman'

Exactly.  We know that Osborne comes from the Anglo-Irish aristocracy, is heir to a baronetcy, has a family which is loaded, has never worked for anyone other than the tory party apart from a week folding towels in Selfridges and a short time doing data entry, has a large house and paddock for horses paid for by you and me, and has been called by one of his own MPs a "posh boy who doesn't know the price of milk".

We also know that he can easily afford any burger he wants.  He could decline his salary, refund twice the amount to the Treasury each year, and still be able to afford burgers made from yaks hand-reared in Mongolia on asses' milk, the meat being flown in by unicorn and crafted into burgers by Raymond Blanc with Marco-Pierre White acting as KP, and served on platters of freshly-mined silver with musical accompaniment by the London Philharmonic.

We know he can afford to buy a ten quid burger.

We also know he sees as a political disadvantage his evident wealth and his immunity from the harsh cuts he is forcing on everyone else, and so for that reason he has cultivated a very stilted Essex accent for public consumption, and that he looks for opportunities to try to deceive people into thinking he's a bit like them, instead of a creature from another world they will never glimpse.

We know that the photo of him "working on his speech" and "snacking on a burger and chips" was not a record of a naturally occurring event, but a deliberately constructed piece of false information, a lie, intended to trick us into thinking of him in a slightly better light.

We all know that stuff, don't we?  Or if we don't know the details of his family wealth, we know when he's taking the piss with his stupid propaganda.

And that's the point - that the choice of an expensive burger undermines the PR, because it confirms exactly the perception he wants to dispel.  That's why people like Eric PIckles are openly taking the piss, why the Downing Street PR people are distancing themselves and making patronising and dismissive comments, and why there's an angle there for the press to exploit, should they wish.  The interesting question is why the press should so wish.

• Like 2

Well your latest post contradicts your first post but we will let that slide ( i.e your first post says it was about the cost of the burger , you second post says it isn't about the cost )

I see no contradiction.  I've explained why the cost of the burger is a problem (it undermines the central, but false, message that Geoffrey is "just like us").

I've said I agree he shouldn't be eating McFilthburgers, never mind walking out to get one.

Any contradiction is introduced only by the false narrative of his staged photo.  But that's my whole point.  I can't believe you missed it.

Exactly.  We know that Osborne comes from the Anglo-Irish aristocracy, is heir to a baronetcy, has a family which is loaded, has never worked for anyone other than the tory party apart from a week folding towels in Selfridges and a short time doing data entry, has a large house and paddock for horses paid for by you and me, and has been called by one of his own MPs a "posh boy who doesn't know the price of milk".

We also know that he can easily afford any burger he wants.  He could decline his salary, refund twice the amount to the Treasury each year, and still be able to afford burgers made from yaks hand-reared in Mongolia on asses' milk, the meat being flown in by unicorn and crafted into burgers by Raymond Blanc with Marco-Pierre White acting as KP, and served on platters of freshly-mined silver with musical accompaniment by the London Philharmonic.

We know he can afford to buy a ten quid burger.

We also know he sees as a political disadvantage his evident wealth and his immunity from the harsh cuts he is forcing on everyone else, and so for that reason he has cultivated a very stilted Essex accent for public consumption, and that he looks for opportunities to try to deceive people into thinking he's a bit like them, instead of a creature from another world they will never glimpse.

We know that the photo of him "working on his speech" and "snacking on a burger and chips" was not a record of a naturally occurring event, but a deliberately constructed piece of false information, a lie, intended to trick us into thinking of him in a slightly better light.

We all know that stuff, don't we?  Or if we don't know the details of his family wealth, we know when he's taking the piss with his stupid propaganda.

And that's the point - that the choice of an expensive burger undermines the PR, because it confirms exactly the perception he wants to dispel.  That's why people like Eric PIckles are openly taking the piss, why the Downing Street PR people are distancing themselves and making patronising and dismissive comments, and why there's an angle there for the press to exploit, should they wish.  The interesting question is why the press should so wish.

Quite.

Oh and you forgot his change of name to try and be more like the man on the street.

Why isn't royalty put out to tender?

You can't tell me that Capita, Arriva or G4S couldn't find a family that would do it cheaper.

ATOS could - but we would probably end up with that family from Derby as the new Royal Family

Â