Belgium outlaws the Burka.

MrWeedMcGrass

Should Belgium be reprimanded for this?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should Belgium be reprimanded for this?

• No , it is a valid security issue.
    • Yes, the Belgians are as xenophobic as the swiss

Thisw is the wrong thread for the shoe horned party political broadcast fella.

But you still managed it :-)

Anyway look out the window and see if you can see any of these people will you?

Thisw is the wrong thread for the shoe horned party political broadcast fella.

But you still managed it :-)

Anyway look out the window and see if you can see any of these people will you?

In Oman I have seen zero, in Dubai one or two in a Niqab and there isn't enough money in the world to make me go to Saudi!

My understanding is that although ban the Burka grabs the headlines it's always been about any item that completely conceals the face ..

So whilst the anti Muslim feeling may be Yeah take that ! it could well be that the next time the masses want to take to the street anyone wearing a scarf around their face ,balaclava etc to conceal their identity as they stand around waiting to get baton charged by plod , could in all probability juts be arrested from the off

Indeed, Tony (though I have little doubt of its main intent which is to 'send a message' like that in Northern Italy).

Yes, we do have laws regarding the removal of disguises where incidents of serious violence are reasonably believed to be likely to take place in an area but these are already abused.

We also had an attempt in one of those stupid ASBO things yesterday (the clauses were withdrawn in the end) to 'ban' some bod from wearing his trousers halfway round his arse and/or 'appearing in public with his hood up'.

How sensible.

Really?

Have you actually thought about what this law says (and the potential for its abuse)?

Hint reread the line quoted and put any thoughts of religion out of your head.

I don't need any "hints" thanks. It's ALL about religion in my opinion, but if a side effect is that little scrotes with hoodies on get their collar felt as well, then I'd say that's a fair price.

I don't need any "hints" thanks.

It appeared that you did as you had just come out with a stock anti-religious 'how sensible' stance in response to my post which was specifically concentrating on the actual wording (translated, obviously) of the law and how illiberal it was.

It's ALL about religion in my opinion, but if a side effect is that little scrotes with hoodies on get their collar felt as well, then I'd say that's a fair price.

I think the main thing most certainly is about religion [Edit - well not specifically religion more like a mixture of religion and ethnicity] and the ironic intolerance of the supposedly tolerant.

However, a by product is not just about 'little scrotes' - though it's a relatively stock reaction to a law that people perceive they would never fall foul of (yes this is in Belgium but it's something which applies in general terms in whatever country).

It's why lawmakers taking liberties (both literally and metaphorically) doesn't exercise the majority until it's too late.

If its about covering the face in public then I would suggest there will be a great deal of motorcyclists' brains spilled on the streets of Bruges.

When you brew beer as good as the Belgians can, they can start eating pensioners for all I care !

Only just read this thread, but this comment genuinely made me "lol"

If its about covering the face in public then I would suggest there will be a great deal of motorcyclists' brains spilled on the streets of Bruges.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned various exceptions so I would assume those on bikes would be one. :D

I don't need any "hints" thanks.

It appeared that you did as you had just come out with a stock anti-religious 'how sensible' stance in response to my post which was specifically concentrating on the actual wording (translated, obviously) of the law and how illiberal it was.

It's ALL about religion in my opinion, but if a side effect is that little scrotes with hoodies on get their collar felt as well, then I'd say that's a fair price.

I think the main thing most certainly is about religion [Edit - well not specifically religion more like a mixture of religion and ethnicity] and the ironic intolerance of the supposedly tolerant.

However, a by product is not just about 'little scrotes' - though it's a relatively stock reaction to a law that people perceive they would never fall foul of (yes this is in Belgium but it's something which applies in general terms in whatever country).

It's why lawmakers taking liberties (both literally and metaphorically) doesn't exercise the majority until it's too late.

I'm all for preserving civil liberties, which is why I fully support the law in this case. The women involved are having their civil liberties eroded by being forced to wear such items. I'm afraid I can't see a downside.

I'm all for preserving civil liberties, which is why I fully support the law in this case. The women involved are having their civil liberties eroded by being forced to wear such items. I'm afraid I can't see a downside.

The husband of the woman who was fined in Italy was quoted as saying his wife will no longer be allowed to leave the house.

That could be a downside?

The husband of the woman who was fined in Italy was quoted as saying his wife will no longer be allowed to leave the house.

He should be arrested and charged with false imprisonment then.

well surely if he wants to practice something which is "lets face it" backward, then he should perhaps take those practices to a country where they would be more welcome?

Wearing the Burkha isn't actually something women HAVE to wear, it's meant to be a choice they make, but I still maintain it's the male orientated grip on the religion as a whole which makes these women wear them.

think it should have been a referendum though rather than their MPs deciding it.

to some extent the answer to that is "Good"

as it shows exactly how simple minded some elements of Islam are and if more men adopt his attitude the sooner more Islamic women will stand up and fight back (hopefully)

to some extent the answer to that is "Good"

as it shows exactly how simple minded some elements of Islam are and if more men adopt his attitude the sooner more Islamic women will stand up and fight back (hopefully)

good point. Hopefully society will look at the attitude of blokes like the one mentioned above and point and say "your **** backward"

It should not be possible to tell what religion someone is just by looking at them for a start (I tend to stay away from really religious people as it clearly shows there is something very wrong with them in my eyes).

Now I am not 100% on this but the Burka thing is not in the Koran but that type of head dress is more of a tribal thing. They use the religion thing to try and force the issue and cause trouble in the West as they know it annoys most people and it helps them to promote the "we get picked on because of our religion stance"

As Awol was saying, visit a Muslim country, and count how many people you see wearing a Burka or Niqab. It won't be many. Far fewer than I saw last time I was home in Bolton anyway, I bet.

Â