If Gareth Barry had stayed, would we be top 4?

tinker

Would we be top 4 with Gareth Barry?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Would we be top 4 with Gareth Barry?

• Top 4 with Gareth Barry
    • No top 4 with Gareth Barry

No, I doubt it. City have a better squad than us and still haven't sewn CL up. We need to be a bit more clinical when getting scoring opportunities.

I voted no. The only slight chance would have been if MON used different tactics... and maybe Barry and Milner in the middle, but of course that wouldn't happen.

No, I don't think so. As many have already said, that would probably mean that Milner had stayed out wide and he's so much better in the centre. Barry's gone, let him stay away from here.

wouldnt have wasted 12m on downing. milner is just as good on the left and the right, infact he drifts there alot to put in crosses from cm atm. i think we would have achieved top 4 with him because he provides that leadership that petrov doesnt. that confidence, that quality penalty, coolness on the ball, not to mension he gets quite a few assists to his name. i think with barry in the team we would not have crumbled at the vital points we did this season

i think with barry in the team we would not have crumbled at the vital points we did this season

So what's the excuse for last season?

I'm pretty sure he was playing then.

i think with barry in the team we would not have crumbled at the vital points we did this season

So what's the excuse for last season?

I'm pretty sure he was playing then.

difference = dunne collins warnock and an improved gabby and milner

Swings and roundabouts. Barry stays and we might be a slightly better side. Maybe, but Jimmy wouldn't have had the impact he's had as Petrov and Barry would have been first choice central midfielders. That said, I'm not sure MON had planned to bring Milner inside, I wonder whether it was almost done by accident, and came off.

Don't think so because Milner would still be pretty average on the wing if Barry was still here. Gareth was a block to Milner's progress as a player and as soon as he went he turned twice the player both he and Barry have ever been. If Milner could have been played in the middle sooner with Barry, then maybe, but you need a Petrov type player when you've got Milner in the middle.

I don't think so.

Whilst he did have a touch of class, Barry offered very little in terms of goalscoring threat from the middle and never took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove us on. Jimmy is a vast improvement.

With a centre mid of Barry and Petrov, I think we would have gone backwards, but I wouldn't have minded seeing Barry and Jimmy together. I think Barry is best playing alongside someone better than him, rather than being the focal point of the team.

I think we wouldve had a better chance of top 4 with Barry, as long as he still wanted to play at Villa and his head wasnt elsewhere.

I think Milner out wide and Barry in the centre is stronger than Milner in the centre with Downing out wide, although i think Downing will be much better next year.

I don't think so.

Whilst he did have a touch of class, Barry offered very little in terms of goalscoring threat from the middle and never took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove us on. Jimmy is a vast improvement.

With a centre mid of Barry and Petrov, I think we would have gone backwards, but I wouldn't have minded seeing Barry and Jimmy together. I think Barry is best playing alongside someone better than him, rather than being the focal point of the team.

Don't agree with that, Barry used to control our play, and when he played well, so did we.

At times with Barry in the team, we played some of our best football with him dictating the tempo. Look at arsenal home last season, we havn't played as well as that this season.

Young played better with barry alongside him.