The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

So the German top division has no clubs from the capital city. That is very unusual, probably the only country where this is the case.

That'd be a good pub quiz question (assuming they are the only country where that occurs. Can't think of any others)

Nah man I can't have that..

You can't have a quiz question like 'which countries, that are footballing powerhouses, do not have teams from the capital on the top division?'

A league is a league. Welsh teams go for the champions league/europa league.

Wales is a principality like Monaco so do they count?

Incorrect. I used to think that too. Wales is a country. Its Assembly government explicitly says "Wales is not a principality". And the fount of all knowledge that is wikipedia says that even though "The title Prince of Wales is still conferred on the heir apparent to the British throne, the Prince has no constitutional role in modern Wales" and also according to the Welsh Assembly Government: "Our Prince of Wales at the moment is Prince Charles, who is the present heir to the throne. But he does not have a role in the governance of Wales, even though his title might suggest that he does."

So, no, Wales is not a principality. It used to be though.

Every day's a school day!

Canada is another, I think. Currently no team from Ottawa in the top tier of the Canadian Soccer League, though up until the end of 2003 season you had Ottawa Wizards whose franchise was then revoked by the league.

Wales is a principality like Monaco so do they count?

Incorrect. I used to think that too. Wales is a country. Its Assembly government explicitly says "Wales is not a principality". And the fount of all knowledge that is wikipedia says that even though "The title Prince of Wales is still conferred on the heir apparent to the British throne, the Prince has no constitutional role in modern Wales" and also according to the Welsh Assembly Government: "Our Prince of Wales at the moment is Prince Charles, who is the present heir to the throne. But he does not have a role in the governance of Wales, even though his title might suggest that he does."

So, no, Wales is not a principality. It used to be though.

Every day's a school day!

In practice Wales is a state of the United Kingdom in the same way New South Wales is a state of Australia or California is a state of the USA.

They all have a devolved regional governments controlling local affairs and they all have a capital city (Cardiff, Sydney and Sacramento) but their federal government in charge of defense, foreign affairs etc falls to the national government located in London, Canberra or Washington DC respectively. You can't get a Welsh passport any more than you can get a Californian passport!

Anyway, as for capital city teams, Canberra doesn't have a side in the Australian national league either.

Or for that matter an English passport.#justsaying Anyhoo, point being, Wales isn't a principality.

Indeed.

I have always found it odd actually that England doesn't have its own regional government and just defaults to the UK government. I suspect a lot of Scots/Welsh/Norn Irish would say they are already represented well enough there that England doesnt need its own.

Anyway, I may have strayed a little off topic :P

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the ref had a mare in that Hannover/Breman game. Breman had a goal ruled put for a very soft foul, then deep in stoppage time, hustzl scores the winner, the ref then sends him off for two bookings during his celebrations. One for taking his shirt off and one for going to the crowd.

Harsh I thought on Hustzl and Werder on the whole.

So after watching him tear 'Gladbach a new arsehole (:angry:), I've been keeping an eye out for that Kiyotake chap 1.FC Nürnberg picked up from the J-League for the relative price of a packet of crisps and a choccy bar. Early days, but the words "next Shinji Kagawa" might be appropriate somewhere down the line.

Â