The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

Spread across a few threads I said the media here is giving sancho a hard time over his attitude and work ethic, late for training etc available for silly PL money expected to leave, then he hit crazy goalscoring form

He's creeping in to a few teams of the decade in the media, surprising 

What's not surprising is the garth crooks approach to Marco reus, the holding midfielder everyone's always wanted 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why does Germany get 4 champions league spots and 2 Europa league spots where England only gets 4/1?, I thought England was a higher rated league?

Ornisnit that the additional are because a few of them are qualifying knockout spots rather than direct access to the tournaments?

24 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Why does Germany get 4 champions league spots and 2 Europa league spots where England only gets 4/1?, I thought England was a higher rated league?

Ornisnit that the additional are because a few of them are qualifying knockout spots rather than direct access to the tournaments?

We give one spot to League Cup Winners and FA Cup Winners if they are not in the top 5.  

This year we have Wolves Arsenal and Man Utd in the Europa and Chelsea Liverpool Spurs and Man City in Champions League.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

England, Germany, Spain & Italy have the same number of spots in the cups.

England have qualification through 2 different cup competitions unlike those other countries thou so might be my it looks different?

• Thanks 1

He already is. 

Sancho is in the form of his life too, he's scored 12 in 14 and like Haaland he's still only a teenager.  Dortmund aren't going to be able to hold onto either for long but it will be a ton of fun while it lasts.  

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

For me sancho joining a non CL playing utd for north of £200k a week would confirm a few of the negative digs about him

Hope he doesn't 

Ehh. 

I don't like Man U. But his decision to stay at Dortmund over United would have me asking questions regarding his ambition. 

United will pay more, are likely to win more, he'd be a star in the side and the club have a much greater upside. 

Reus has been at Dortmund a year longer than United have been without Fergie. Which club has won more in that time? 

No CL, and for potentially just one year, is overrated. Is there a more perfect club for Sancho where he's going to get the pay, be guaranteed the first team football and the possibility of trophies? Possibly Chelsea? 

He's already shown a willingness to go abroad, unless he sees utd as a stepping stone to then get a move to a top table club then he's stepping down to go to utd, bigger club playing at a lower level 

His form and potential should be attracting the real big fish

He personally is playing at a higher level than what utd are 

As it is for as good as he is with all the negativity around him still meaning that for all his talent and great form dortmund are happy to let him go and then it's utd who are throwing mega money at him rather than anyone else I don't think that negativity will disappear 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

As it is for as good as he is with all the negativity around him still meaning that for all his talent and great form dortmund are happy to let him go and then it's utd who are throwing mega money at him rather than anyone else I don't think that negativity will disappear 

I think history suggests it says more about Dortmund than the player. The ambition of the club is often less than the ambition of its stars. Haaland hasn't been signed to win things, he's been signed to turn a profit in a few years. Same with Sancho. It's why they rarely keep their main men for long, they don't put up much of a fight because its all about the money to them IMO. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

Don't disagree with any of that, him leaving won't shock anyone 

And obviously once the season ends and the euros are done this statement might change - the best teenager in world football joining a champions league-less man utd - that is a shock

Papers here are taking up bayern and barca and potentially back to city (depending on sane) with then pre signing ziyech Chelsea, Liverpool and utd 

They're also suggesting he would have to break dortmunds transfer record which is £125m for dembele 

If he did join utd with out CL there will definitely be the suggestion here he has done it for money and his attitude will be questioned again 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Ehh. 

I don't like Man U. But his decision to stay at Dortmund over United would have me asking questions regarding his ambition. 

United will pay more, are likely to win more, he'd be a star in the side and the club have a much greater upside. 

Reus has been at Dortmund a year longer than United have been without Fergie. Which club has won more in that time? 

No CL, and for potentially just one year, is overrated. Is there a more perfect club for Sancho where he's going to get the pay, be guaranteed the first team football and the possibility of trophies? Possibly Chelsea? 

Disagree with this.

United might pay more, but for me that doesn't relate to ambition. I suppose it depends on how you define ambition in this context.

I don't think he's likely to win more with them. Dortmund are more likely to win the Bundesliga than United the PL. United could win domestic cups but Dortmund could in Germany. Dortmund are more likely to win things in Europe (particularly if he stays).

Obviously he's already guaranteed first team football at Dortmund and plays in front of massive crowds every week.

So the only upside seems to be money?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Haaland hasn't been signed to win things, he's been signed to turn a profit in a few years. 

I'd argue they sign players for both reasons. Win and make money.

Dortmund aren't in a position to sign superstars when they're at the very top of their game (like the current Man Utd) so it makes sense that they follow this model. It isn't an alternative to winning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

I don't think he's likely to win more with them. Dortmund are more likely to win the Bundesliga than United the PL. United could win domestic cups but Dortmund could in Germany. Dortmund are more likely to win things in Europe (particularly if he stays).

Obviously he's already guaranteed first team football at Dortmund and plays in front of massive crowds every week.

So the only upside seems to be money?

I don't know. 

As you said, Dortmund aren't able to buy the top players. United still can IMO. Regardless of what people think, United will be a top 3 club in world football almost regardless of what happens (beyond extreme circumstance). The fact that they can sign top players means their ceiling is higher. Dortmund, at their absolute best, still need to rely on other clubs failing, in order to succeed, IMO. 

Â