The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

St. Pauli are massive Celtic fans, there were over 1000 of them in the away end when Celtic played Hamburg earlier on this season.

Hamburg are massive Rangers fans (they sung it at Man City last season).

Steve McClaren might be taking over as Wolfsburg boss, imagine the hilarious accent you could have to listen to! His German one must have something on the Dutch lilt he adopted.

Steve McClaren might be taking over as Wolfsburg boss, imagine the hilarious accent you could have to listen to! His German one must have something on the Dutch lilt he adopted.

Now you come to mention it...

Dr.Strangelove.jpgmclaren_200x262_3919a.jpg

St. Pauli are massive Celtic fans, there were over 1000 of them in the away end when Celtic played Hamburg earlier on this season.

Hamburg are massive Rangers fans (they sung it at Man City last season).

I really don't get why so many people that don't have to care about Scottish football.

I loved watching Leverkuen in 2002 what a team that was Ballack :oops: , Ze Roberto,, Lucio, schneider and Basturk among others.

Schneider is possibly the most underrated player of the 2000s if that is a decade

My Mrs is from Germany, a little town called Koblenz near Koln.

They have a team in that town called TUS Koblenz. And they, are, mental! A marquee signing last summer of the "Kuqi Diver" (Shefki Kuqi joined Swansea in January), insane fans who literally jump

up and down in unison for 90 minutes and drink beer like its water.

The stadium is a tiny tin pot on the outskirts of the town, which has a brilliant atmosphere and based on the banks of the Rhein river. There is also a beer brewary not far from the ground who produce the gloriously tasty "Konigshbacher". Its yummy.

Chances of them ever achieving anything? Zero (apart from the odd relegation, then promotion much like WBA). But the chances of having a great craic supporting them? High as a kite!

We drew up at Koblenz at the weekend 2-2. **** denied us the title despite already being relegated to the third tier :angry:

We drew up at Koblenz at the weekend 2-2. **** denied us the title despite already being relegated to the third tier :angry:

Didnt realise my beloved TUS Koblenz had been relegated! I really shold pay more attention given that im marrying into the family.

The TUS coach lives next door but one to my Mrs' family in Koblenz, might have to do a Dave Cameron and egg his house to make amends for my lack of knowledge.

Whose your team BOF?

Are Kaiserslautern still the last team in recent history to be promoted from the second-tier of a major European league one season and win the top-tier the next? Can't think of any other teams that have done this in the last decade or so (certainly not in the Bundesliga anyway, unique acheivement there I believe). Shame really, Kaiserslautern could have been a major European team by now were it not for catastrophic financial mismanagement.

I see Zoltán Stieber now plays for Koblenz. The place looks nice and the fans sound interesting, just not sure they're what I'm looking for really, seeing as I probably won't be able to catch their games online and I imagine there's not a great deal in terms of fan forums etc.

Yes they are Gareth. It is a unique achievement in Germany. I can't think of anyone who has done it in any decent European league either (there's usually a clique at the top of those leagues...). They are also the smallest town (99k) to win the Bundesliga and as seems to be the norm for Bundesliga sides, their fans are absolutely nuts - even supposed to be nuts by German standards :D Can't wait to stick it to the establishment again next season and for some reason - probably the aforementioned achievement - I am strangely optimistic that we will do well. It hasn't started well though; star man Slovakian international Erik Jendrisek has already left to join Schalke :angry:

Kaiserslautern.

Out of interest is it a passion or just to make German football a little more exciting?

Very good question. It starts off as simply making German (or [ insert league here ] ) football more interesting. But as usually happens, as you follow their results you find yourself more and more interested and before you know it you are supporting them and giving out about rivals and actually caring about the ups and downs :D

I probably started following them around the time of Sensible World Of Soccer (or SWOS) on the Amiga when I decided it would be nice to try and have a 'representative' in all the major leagues. It didn't turn out like that though. I only really 'follow' a few teams around Europe - and the fact it's only a few actually makes those few more special.

Â