Call of Duty: Black Ops

FoFiveKing

http://www.callofduty.com/blackops/

It's official: The new Call Of Duty will be called Black Ops and will be released on November 9th.

The Activision website for the title - the seventh in the series - went live earlier today.

The confirmation of the Black Ops name seems to suggest that previous speculation about the title is true.

According to the original story that revealed the Black Ops name, the Treyarch-developed game will be set throughout the Cold War, and will feature key battles from across the period.

It will reportedly heavily feature segments from the Vietnam conflict - and culminate in the famous 1980 storming of the Iranian Embassy in London by the SAS.

CVG revealed earlier this year that the Call Of Duty Black Ops UK release date will arrive in November.

The first trailer for the game is due to go live later today - CVG understands 2am GMT is launch time.

Source

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought there had been posts about this already. Maybe I'm imagining things. Anyhoo, some multiplayer stuff:

* While they’ve tried having custom killstreaks for each class, that seemed to complicate the ‘purity and speed’ of Create a Class.

* Consequently, it’s fair to assume that customizable killstreaks are all but confirmed.

* At this stage in development, killstreaks stack and carry over if you die, but do not contribute to further killstreaks (hence eliminating the ‘camping for killstreaks’ problem of Modern Warfare 2).

* Treyarch are not fans of Commando, the extended melee range perk in Modern Warfare 2, and it is unlikely to return.

* They’ve tried a ‘manned’ version of the Sentry Gun killstreak, but weren’t fans.

* We may well see a return to pistols as the only available sidearm, or perhaps a choice between pistols and launchers. Vahn and many of the team are not fans of shotguns and machine pistols as secondary weapons – it gives a player ‘too much firepower’.

* The knife may well become a secondary weapon – although Vahn didn’t want to say too much.

* Finally, don’t expect the nuke to return as a killstreak. Vahn says they are not fans of a game-ending killstreak.

(source)

Knife as a secondary might be an idea. I still think making "tactical" the default button layout would be the smart thing to do if they want to put the emphasis on shooting.

I like shotguns as a secondary, not a fan of that idea.

If they cant figure out an elegant solution for allowing a custom killstreak setup for every custom class they really need to wonder what they hell they are doing making videogames.

• 2 weeks later...

--CoD: Black Ops dedicated servers confirmed--

Call of Duty: Black Ops will be getting dedicated servers, according to studio head Mark Lamia.

When asked whether the popular feature would be present in Black Ops in the new issue of PC Zone, Lamia replied, "I think dedicated servers are excellent. I don't see any reason not to see them unless... well, I just don't see any reason not to."

"It seems people like them and we're excited about what we're doing right now."

Lamia showed his appreciation of how much dedicated servers meant to a lot of PC gamers:

"We do work very hard to reconcile the desire to manipulate and modify those dedicated servers with offering them the persistent experience and benefits that the console system provides."

"We're working very hard to marry those two things, so people can run dedicated servers and also participate in the communal experience the console players get to have, given they're all on first-party servers."

Good news for PC gamers

Saw this elsewhere. Somebody pointed out that it is a sad day indeed when dedicated servers for a PC FPS is newsworthy. I'm inclined to agree.

I am tempted to pick this game up on PC, I have W@W on PC but I never really got into the multiplayer. It runs beautifully though, and I cant see Black Ops needing any more grunt to run smoothly.

Knife as a secondary might be an idea. I still think making "tactical" the default button layout would be the smart thing to do if they want to put the emphasis on shooting.

I like shotguns as a secondary, not a fan of that idea.

If they cant figure out an elegant solution for allowing a custom killstreak setup for every custom class they really need to wonder what they hell they are doing making videogames.

Shotguns give the player too much firepower as it says. A sniper should not be able to spend his time between sniping spots running around with a Spas 12 annihilating everything within 40ft. The shotguns are good enough to be primaries, if you want to use them, you have to change your style of play slightly as they will be your main weapon. Simple.

But then they go back to the COD4 problem where nobody uses shotguns. As a primary they are shitguns.
Nobody used shotguns because the range was terrible, they rarely killed in one shot and CoD4's hit detection was crap. Shots would literally go through people.

Make shotguns like MW2 and people will use them as primaries.

* At this stage in development, killstreaks stack and carry over if you die, but do not contribute to further killstreaks (hence eliminating the ‘camping for killstreaks’ problem of Modern Warfare 2).

I must be misunderstanding something, because this doesn't happen on MW2 anyway does it? You can't get an AC-130, die, get 11 kills with it, then have another one. I know you can do this in 4/WAW though.

So their thinking is that by making the killstreaks not run off of each other, camping will be solved? Oh right, because people won't just camp harder, will they? Jesus christ.

No, but if you get an AC-130 and get 14 kills with it you get a nuke. That wont be happening in Black Ops.

I still didn't get it after reading this, buy I get it now. The way they worded it and put the word die in made think it was talking about a continuation of streaks after death.

I get it now and it's a good idea, though I think it will encourage camping more if anything, bug at least people have to earn streaks.

They should make the killstreaks customisable within reason, like you're only allowed one airstrike and one heli/harriers. So there can be no Harrier - Pave Low - AC-130 killstreaks, rather have, UAV - Stealth Bomber - AC-130, camping really isn't that huge of an issue for me anymore anyway. People got bored of nukes so the camping has stopped.

Â