Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Didn't think much of Bob Willis' comments about Ian Blackwell. Agreed he is not the sleekest of cricketers but ...... when he allowed a ball to slide underneath him Willis said 'I bet he would have stopped it if it had been a hamburger' And there were other such comments; not cool when he can't defend himself.

Damn shame about result but I guess a great game for the neutral.

Heh, dead game anyway. Shit performance but it didn't really matter that much.

I think I'd rather be on the end of this hammering when it doesn't affect our progression than being all Billy big bollocks and get battered during the Super 8s. Hopefully it gives them a kick up the arse.

Didn't matter in the context of the tournament but I think with a tour to India round the corner, the defeat should leave the English camp really concerned. KP must be given an SOS call for this tournament and the India series somehow!

Didn't see much of this 'cos was watching World Cycling Road Race. In the bit I did see, I heard an Indian(I think) commentator saying that Sir Ian Bell should be playing. So - showing good sense there then !

KP ? Don't know - Has it gone a bit too far now ?

Yeah, can't really seeing him playing for England much more again. He pretty much set his stall out to say that money was more important that representing his country so for all I care he can do one.

Message for 'gee1971' !

Derbyshire have signed wicketkeeper Richard Johnson from the mighty Warwickshire .Damned good aquisition for Derbys I reckon - and homegrown too I think. Shame we couldn't keep him.

• 1 month later...

Alisdair Cook 157 not out and hopefully counting. Without him we'd be up that decidedly smelly creek without so much of an instrument of propulsion,

Prior providing able support too.

So badly need to play Monty next test though.

Ideally ( given Bell is missing test 2 anyway ) drop Bresnan/Broad and Patel and replace with Finn ( for genuine pace) and Panesar. And then bring in Bairstow rather than Morgan for Bell.

made the close of play on 168 not out with prior 84 not out either. Terrific patient efforts from the both, putting the wobbly middle lot to shame. Still, likely to lose, but a good fightback nonetheless, could sneak a draw if these two can continue together until lunch tomorrow though that would be quite an ask.

I realise that it is easy to be wise after the event but I really thought it was an error not to play Panesar. The pitches will possibly have been prepared to favour spin, Panesar gives the ball a good tweek and he played well in the warm up matches.(He is almost good enough to play for Warwickshire :) ) Agree with Rodders - Bairstow and Finn for me.

In fairness plenty of experts thought panesar should have played too. I think the 'loyalty' to some players definitely has its weaknesses in terms of flexibility. Could drop Broad too tbf, but that isnt happening. Was a little gutted compton couldnt make a 50 at least thpugh. I like him and its been as tough a debut innings as you can have here, but nevermind. Tomorrow could be very fascinating - or all over by noon :lol:

Was all over pretty tamely in the end after England’s battling show yesterday.

This was a real slow pitch so in that sense England should be disappointed with their performance, the ball was spinning so slowly that they had adequate time to adjust. The next test is at Mumbai which usually offers much more sharp turn and bounce in which case I would fear for England.

Good day for England today.

Cook just carried on from where he left off in Ahmedabad and Pietersen played really well, too (full face of the bat stuff most of the time - a punch for four through extra cover and coming down the wicket to drive the ball along the ground just wide of mid off highlighting the approach).

Â