Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Brilliant test match to finish the series. Edge of the seat stuff at the end, but just not quite there for England. Well done South Africa, the better side throughout the series. I'd have liked to have seen another couple of tests, but in all likelihood, SA would have probably picked up at least one more win.

Big differences, only 2 S.A batsmen (recognised) scored 10 or less in the match, 7 English batsmen achieved this unwanted accolade, all series, everytime England have opened the door to possibly go on to get control of a match, they either let it slip or S.A bust a gut to slam the door shut, when S.A have been in the same situation, they metaphorically have kicked it in with what seemed little resistance from England. Overall S.A have been the better team in every department and showed much stronger fortitude. For England Stauss' form continues to be a big problem, and his ability to get out early in an innings or at a restart seems to becoming contagious,

Positives for England? Possibly Bairstow and the fact that despite being below our best it was a pretty close series for a 2-0 scoreline, obviously ignoring the appalling performance post first day in the first test

Saffers deserve that. More proficient, more competent, better focused. Their bowling has been better, their catching better and their batting better.

Talent wise there's not much in it either way, but they looked ready and we looked jaded.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless its sky jumping the gun yet again but they have just confirmed He has stepped down as captain and retired from all forms of professional cricket.

If true, thanks for your service and memories Straussy, especially 'those' ashes and getting us to number 1 in the world.

Well played.

Unless its sky jumping the gun yet again but they have just confirmed He has stepped down as captain and retired from all forms of professional cricket.

Nah, they're right.

If true, thanks for your service and memories Straussy, especially 'those' ashes and getting us to number 1 in the world.

Well played.

I echo that.

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about this. He did a brilliant job, and is the best England captain in my life time, but I think it probably is time to move on.

I think Cook will be more of the same really. Can't see there being a radical change in the attitude of the side. I'd also expect KP to be back for the tour of India. I hope so, anyway! Although it depends how much he's p*ssed Flower off too, I suppose.

I like Cook, but captaincy should have gone to Prior IMO. Cook is already One Day captain, and that should be his learning curve into the test game. Prior is a natural leader, experienced, respected and vocal.

Bears bowl Pears out for 60, using just two bowlers!! 70/0 in reply. County Championship is edging closer to Edgbaston!

Where are ya Snowy?

WHERE ARE YA???

:-)

Hmm. Mixed feelings over this as would much prefer to see lancashire go down and Worcs stay up but victory could confirm Warks as County Champs (I think).

I once almost turned to the Dark Side and supported Worcs - when Villa keeper Jim Cumbes played for them. That was a long time ago though.

I guess the Warks players will have half an eye on a place at Lords on 15th; would really like to see Neil Carter in that side after he played so well in the semis.

worcester's batting has been poor all year. Indeed without Hughes, and some helpful rain gained draws we'd have had a real shocker. Shame really, considering we've got a decent bowling attack. Doesn't help when one ( albeit poorly performing one ) batsman voluntarily chooses to quit professional sport for a career in the city. the mind boggles.

Hang on; I've just realised that Varun Chopra has scored his 3rd century of the season ! Now if England want an, in-form, classy opener ............

So next season we could be missing Patel, Woakes, Sir Ian, Trott and now Chopra !! Not good for The Bears.

(still feel a bit sorry for Worcs btw)

The improvement in Chopra has been outstanding. Remember when we signed him from Essex (i think) and put him in the middle order and he was scoring next to nothing. Really found his place as an opener.

Oh and what a signing Chris Wright has proven to be!

Champions again (well, pretty much), delighted :)

Â