Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Ididn't see this thread so would like to apologise to all VT members for starting.another thread.

Any cricket fans have an opinion on Kevin Pieterson (sp) ?

Doesn't wasn't to play 40 over or T20 for Engalnd but seems happy to play in the IPL. Does this reflect badly on the man or is he just making as much money as possible while he can ?

PS - he did insult Nick Knight - formerly of WARWICKSHIRE !!!

I don't get it to be honest. If he retired, surely it'd be from the test match format so he could cash in from the IPL.

Either way, I don't think he'll be missed that much, and he may as well retire from the Tests too. He's not as indispensable as himself or many other thinks. And in all honesty, he's an absolute prick.

I'm unsure on the KP thing. On one hand he obviously still wants to play in the T20 World Cup, but doesn't want to play all the ODIs he'd have to in order qualify. The rules state that you can't do one without the other, so I agree with the stance that he should not be a special case, and not be under consideration for T20, if he won't play in ODIs. On the other hand he's one of the best T20 players in the world, and it seems sad that he won't be in the team that will defend it's World Title at the next World Cup.

I am under the understanding that the ECB consulted the players, when drawing up the rules of the central contracts, so I suppose it's only right, and he would have been aware of the rules. I wonder if KP was under the impression, that the ECB would make a special case for him? By calling their bluff, so to speak, I also wonder if the ECB are cutting their nose off to spite their face?

I don't see the logic in him not being able to play Tests and T20s. He's not going to be around for the next 50 over world cup so what's the point in making him play up to 14 ODIs this summer merely to make himself eligible to play the T20 world cup, especially when we have such an important Test series coming up to decide who is number 1 in the world. Strauss has been able to pick and choose what cricket he plays.

Pietersen really is a massive arsehole. Don't necessarily disagree with him on this tbh, I'd want to go and earn a bomb if I could, but he's so focussed on himself in tests it's infuriating. Knight's criticism was very fair and he couldn't take it. Not fulfilled his potential at all due to him thinking he'd better than he is. I remember we were getting battered by Aussies once and he ran round celebrating a century like we'd just won.

If you lost a football match 4-2 and he scored both he'd be one of those irritating people really happy after the game in the changing room.

Pietersen really is a massive arsehole. Don't necessarily disagree with him on this tbh, I'd want to go and earn a bomb if I could, but he's so focussed on himself in tests it's infuriating. Knight's criticism was very fair and he couldn't take it. Not fulfilled his potential at all due to him thinking he'd better than he is. I remember we were getting battered by Aussies once and he ran round celebrating a century like we'd just won.

I think KP's scored 3 Ashes hundreds and at the time he scored them we weren't being battered in any of them. We did go on to lose the Adelaide test in 06/07 but that was due to a collective brainfart from the whole team on the last day. He won't be able to play any more IPL than he currently does as we don't play ODIs when it's on, he'll do his stint then come back for our home Test series. He'll only be losing money from his central contract being downgraded, so I don't see how money comes into it.

Oh and Nick Knight is an awful commentator. I don't think KP had an issue with criticism, just that Knight is dull and can't make his mind up on anything.

...but he's so focussed on himself in tests it's infuriating.

Geoffrey Boycott, still probably the best English opener I've ever seen was such a figure.

Compare his record to Knight's

Hmm. I can see the similarity between Boycott and Pieterson in that they both have fairly big egos. But.. although not a huge Boycott fan, KP hasn't faced the pace attacks that Boycott did and Boycott did get good scores against those attacks. However, to those of a certain age, Boycott's attitude will always be encapsulated in his running-out of Derek Randall.

I heard David Gower,duing the last Test, refer to Boycott's running between the wickets as "egocentric" - quite strong to be said on air.

I am not a Pieterson fan (FWIW) and think his move from Hampshire to Surrey "to be nearer London" just about sums him up.

...but he's so focussed on himself in tests it's infuriating.

Geoffrey Boycott, still probably the best English opener I've ever seen was such a figure.

Compare his record to Knight's

True, and teams will generally accomodate irritants like Geoff or KP if they do the business, which they both did.

I don't know what Nick Knight said, but because his record in tests was ordinary doesn't make what he said automatically wrong (or right). That's playing the man not the ball.

NK was good in tests batting lower down the order, and he was a splendid ODI opener as well as a decent and successful captain of the Bears and for example is better on the telly that Ian Botham is, and Botham was one of the best players we've ever produced.

Great to see Narine in the West Indies team tomorrow. He looked great in the IPL where no one seemed to be able to pick his deliveries. Conditions wont favour him but it will be interesting to see what he can do.

Great to see Narine in the West Indies team tomorrow. He looked great in the IPL where no one seemed to be able to pick his deliveries. Conditions wont favour him but it will be interesting to see what he can do.

Having watched how poor we were against 'mystery spin' in the winter, I'm a little apprehensive about Narine.

Hoping to see Bell or Trott break the Edgbaston / Warwickshire player century curse. Obviously not that bothered about Chanderpaul breaking it mind!

Narine did indeed look decent in the IPL, but I really can't see that having any relevance on the test.. They couldn't pick his deliveries when they were trying to smash him for 4 or 6 every ball. Put him up against Strauss and Cook and they'll be happy to just leave and nudge him around for ones and twos, picking off the odd bad ball.

Happy to see him in too, mind.. I'm not writing him off straight away, I'm just saying that his success in the IPL is really no indication on how well he'll do in this test.

I agree. Warne once went 0 for 144 (odd) in an innings at Edgbaston so it will be hard for him to prove anything in a single test but he's an exciting player and has the potential to become a world class spinner - something the Windies badly need.

Â