Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Stick Cricket? Completed World Domination! Was a bit of a SC legend at college! :oops:

:crylaugh: Australian cricket is a **** shambles. All throughout my time growing up (not as long as some admittedly...) Aus were nigh on unbeatable and England utter shit, how those tables have turned on our Antipodean friends.

RIP Peter Roebuck, age 55 in South Africa - ex-Somerset captain, and cricket writer extraordinaire. Erudite, forthright, compelling, argumentative -but a brilliant writer and commentator on the game that so many of us love. :(

RIP Peter Roebuck, age 55 in South Africa - ex-Somerset captain, and cricket writer extraordinaire. Erudite, forthright, compelling, argumentative -but a brilliant writer and commentator on the game that so many of us love. :(

Suicide according to this:

The journalist and former Somerset cricketer Peter Roebuck has been found dead at a hotel in Newlands in Cape Town. A spokesman for the South African Police in Western Cape Province, Captain Frederik van Wyk, confirmed that a British citizen had killed himself, with reports suggesting Roebuck leaped to his death from his room on the sixth floor of the Southern Sun Hotel.

"I can confirm that this incident took place at 9.15pm on Saturday," he said. "A 55-year-old British citizen was found dead in a hotel in Newlands, Cape Town. He was working as a cricket commentator for an Australian publication. He committed suicide. An inquest docket has been opened for investigation. I cannot say more at this moment."

Roebuck, who was 55 and played alongside Sir Ian Botham and Sir Viv Richards at Somerset, had built a reputation as an acute observer of the game since retiring from playing in 1991, and wrote for the Sydney Morning Herald and the Melbourne Age. He also worked as a broadcaster for ABC radio and had been covering Australia's tour of South Africa.

According to a report on the Herald's website, Roebuck "appeared to be in a disturbed state last night" after being spoken to by police, who had removed personal items from his room. Ian Fuge, the Herald's managing editor of sport described his colleague's death as "a devastating blow to all at the Sydney Morning Herald, both professionally and personally," describing Roebuck as "a wonderful writer who was the bard of summer for cricket-loving Australians."

Craig Norenbergs, the ABC Grandstand manager, also paid tribute to Roebuck. "He could describe a game of cricket in such a way that even if you didn't like the game, you liked the way that he went about his business," he said.

Roebuck was known as a solid batsman, passing 1,000 runs in nine out of 12 seasons and was Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1988.

The likes of Ponting, Hughes (poor technique being exposed again), Hussey, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle (wholehearted workhorse) should all go.

Hussey? Really?

I think that Hussey has had his day, and that Callum Ferguson is one who could fill that gap in the middle order. Mr. Cricket has had an astonishing Test career, but even he isn't immune to age and the mental collapse in the first Test.

Time for a bit of a clean sweep in the Australian ranks, I feel.

The likes of Ponting, Hughes (poor technique being exposed again), Hussey, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle (wholehearted workhorse) should all go.

Hussey? Really?

I think that Hussey has had his day, and that Callum Ferguson is one who could fill that gap in the middle order. Mr. Cricket has had an astonishing Test career, but even he isn't immune to age and the mental collapse in the first Test.

Time for a bit of a clean sweep in the Australian ranks, I feel.

I agree with you on the other guys, but Hussey still has something in the tank I reckon. 3 tests on the Sri Lanka tour and he scored 2 hundreds and a 95. Far too much experience and far too many runs to discard just yet I think.

[quote="MrDuck

Hussey still has something in the tank I reckon. 3 tests on the Sri Lanka tour and he scored 2 hundreds and a 95. Far too much experience and far too many runs to discard just yet I think.

meanwhile, I have been playing too much of this in the past couple of days

be enraged: http://www.sticksports.com/game/stick-cricket/world-domination/

Uh-oh. Work productivity just plummeted.... you bastard.

You bastard MrDuck. Managed finally to get to Bangladesh and now I need to be **** D.A.R.Y.L. to progress. Enuff

• 3 weeks later...

Bollocks ! James Taylor, my tip for the last two seasons, has signed for Notts (at least it wasnt Lancashire!).

He would have been perfect for Warks when Sir Ian was with England and the pair of 'em in the same team might have been exciting.

I read somewhere that Warks couldn't afford to buy out his contract :cry:

Dan Vettori - run out on 96 v the Aussies. Absolutely gutted for him. One of the most talented players NZ have ever had, and it seems to be a genuinely nice guy.

"The Librarian"! Absolutely agreed - always liked this geezer ! I remember when he had long hair and looked like a hippy.

Not a big spinner but great accuracy and damn good batsman.

Most famous product of New Zealand just now - apart from Manuka honey :D

Bollocks ! James Taylor, my tip for the last two seasons, has signed for Notts (at least it wasnt Lancashire!).

He would have been perfect for Warks when Sir Ian was with England and the pair of 'em in the same team might have been exciting.

I read somewhere that Warks couldn't afford to buy out his contract :cry:

I think it's do with the ludicrous way Test Matches are competed for. The Bears just spent a fortune on making Edgbaston the second biggest ground, with much improved facilities and then the ECB gave more test matches to Notts (which is a lovely ground) and none to Warwicks. And the ICC cancelled/postponed the World test championship that would have been at Edgbaston, too.

So repaying the loan for the ground improvements and lack of tests means that what money there is will be for keeping Woakes and Rankin, who only have one season left on their contracts.

Yes indeed, I had forgotten that re. the Test Matches.

Blimey , I didn't realise that Chris Woakes and Boyd Rankin only had that left on their contracts ! A bit worrying if we do nothing next Season.

• 4 weeks later...
Â