Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

22 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t know if the new team / squad rotational thing was due to the current situation or if it was going to be England’s new approach to touring (following multiple instances of depression and stress related problems for English cricketers over recent years) but I hope this signals the end of it.

You play your best team at almost all times, if someone is not mentally resilient to be away from home for a couple of months then don’t go and let someone else better equipped take that place.

This series is heading for an ignominious ending to say the least.

I don’t mind the rotation, helps bring through others, and keeps people fresh

2 wickets and 73 runs in that session. Fairly even I guess, but from a a position of fearing a massive deficit, it's been a great day, although one fears the third innings could be a real challenge. 

• Like 1

Pant has played incredibly well don't get me wrong, but he'd been swinging at everything since the new ball and eventually it's going to get you out, live by the sword die by the sword. Not sure why he was so angry at getting out.

Really thought that we had the chance to get to parity with them on 146-6. We let it go away from us again and were clearly a bowler short. Looks like we may do well to avoid an innings defeat now. The first test match looks a long time ago... :( 

When Pant went I thought we might finish them off for 300 or not much more, at the moment these two look settled, they've put on 61 and we're most likely staring down the barrel of 400.

India might only bat once.

Is Joe Root now an actual all rounder?

At 146-6 I was really hopeful we could have India all out for somewhere around the 205 we scored. 

They've since added 196 for the loss of 1 wicket - how on earth this game turned into this I do not know - currently this pitch looks as threatening as a fat rabbit, I get the feeling it won't be that way when we eventually come back in to bat.

Pathetic bunch of clearings in the woods

Bairstow is a waste of space 

Openers only defence is inexperience. Hope they learn. No point dropping them though. We know they're ok at home.

51 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd put question marks over the futures of both of the openers and Bairstow.

England haven't found a top three that work.

Surely the massive caveat to that is ‘on the sub continent’. Sibley and Burns are surely cemented for the home tests, Bairstow is only involved because of this rotational policy anyway.

I’m not convinced about Crawley but I would hope and expect Sibley, Burns and Crawley to be the top 3 against NZ in June

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mole86 said:

Surely the massive caveat to that is ‘on the sub continent’. Sibley and Burns are surely cemented for the home tests, Bairstow is only involved because of this rotational policy anyway.

You're probably right, but even in these conditions, Sibley's last five innings have only gathered a total of fifteen runs - there should surely be questions about him on that basis?

He's averaged less than seven in his last seven innings.

• Like 1

Back to the drawing board, again.

Going to India is super tough, that’s a given, but we’ve been dismissed here like a second rate test side in the past 2-3 games.

I hope this is the last time we see Bairstow in the test team, he’s had plenty of opportunities, Sibley is not international standard and if we didn’t already know it our spin bowlers are average at best.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You're probably right, but even in these conditions, Sibley's last five innings have only gathered a total of fifteen runs - there should surely be questions about him on that basis?

He's averaged less than seven in his last seven innings.

Absolutely, his ability against spin is a massive concern. I just don’t think that really has any bearing when considering the side for the home tests, or Australia. I do worry about Burns against the short ball in the winter.

• Like 1

Â