Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder why channel 4 decided to go with an all Indian commentary team......

I'm not sure it was their decision exactly, I believe they bought the rights to the broadcast and the commentary is part of that broadcast. Channel 4 only really provide the stuff in the studio as far as I'm aware. Somebody may know better than me though.

• Like 3

I don’t know if the new team / squad rotational thing was due to the current situation or if it was going to be England’s new approach to touring (following multiple instances of depression and stress related problems for English cricketers over recent years) but I hope this signals the end of it.

You play your best team at almost all times, if someone is not mentally resilient to be away from home for a couple of months then don’t go and let someone else better equipped take that place.

This series is heading for an ignominious ending to say the least.

37 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I'm not sure it was their decision exactly, I believe they bought the rights to the broadcast and the commentary is part of that broadcast. Channel 4 only really provide the stuff in the studio as far as I'm aware. Somebody may know better than me though.

that's correct. C4 have eff all to do with the commentary team. Just the studio. 

At it's worst, one can be stuck between swann on the telly or vaughan on TMS. The horror

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t know if the new team / squad rotational thing was due to the current situation or if it was going to be England’s new approach to touring (following multiple instances of depression and stress related problems for English cricketers over recent years) but I hope this signals the end of it.

You play your best team at almost all times, if someone is not mentally resilient to be away from home for a couple of months then don’t go and let someone else better equipped take that place.

This series is heading for an ignominious ending to say the least.

I think its difficult to criticise them for this in the current situation. I completely understand that touring overseas and remaining in a Covid bubble for prolonged period of times is a difficult thing for anybody to do.

If once cricket is back to normal we're still rotating players constantly then that's when I'd question it. As it is I think we just have to put up with it for now.

I'm also not convinced that we'd have got much out of this series even if we had a full squad. We're not a great side at the moment particularly in the conditions we've seen here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I think its difficult to criticise them for this in the current situation. I completely understand that touring overseas and remaining in a Covid bubble for prolonged period of times is a difficult thing for anybody to do.

If once cricket is back to normal we're still rotating players constantly then that's when I'd question it. As it is I think we just have to put up with it for now.

I'm also not convinced that we'd have got much out of this series even if we had a full squad. We're not a great side at the moment particularly in the conditions we've seen here.

They have always rotated players but usually in the white ball cricket rather than Tests.  This time round they are playing the full-strength team in the T20s and ODIs because of the T20 World Cup in India coming up so in order to allow players some time outside the bubble they are doing it now.  To be frank I'm surprised we managed to win a Test at all out there against a very good side.

Edited by sharkyvilla

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Home advantage is massive in test cricket and is seemingly even more important. Playing cricket in India is totally different to England. Even much more of a difference than say playing tennis on grass to clay.

This, and we all know about how mental health has been an issue for many players in the past being away from home for long periods. Its even worse now with covid so you cant blame the squad rotation policy. Havent watched much to be fair but i would rather watch all spin than all seam. 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Home advantage is massive in test cricket and is seemingly even more important. Playing cricket in India is totally different to England. Even much more of a difference than say playing tennis on grass to clay.

Found an interesting article on it here:

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1225398/which-team-is-the-best-of-them-all-away-from-home

For those interested, below is the all time table for away results.

spacer.png

Playing at home is certainly a big advantage, but the really good teams can win away. Good players adapt and learn, though it sometimes takes a few tours to do so.

I think part of the problem England have is not many have any experience of playing in India, and those that do haven't really done it (I'm looking at you Bairstow...), the further problem is how many of those that have gained some experience in this tour are going to be around the next time we tour here? England seem to get through Batsmen in particular at quite a rate it seems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Found an interesting article on it here:

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1225398/which-team-is-the-best-of-them-all-away-from-home

For those interested, below is the all time table for away results.

spacer.png

Playing at home is certainly a big advantage, but the really good teams can win away. Good players adapt and learn, though it sometimes takes a few tours to do so.

I think part of the problem England have is not many have any experience of playing in India, and those that do haven't really done it (I'm looking at you Bairstow...), the further problem is how many of those that have gained some experience in this tour are going to be around the next time we tour here? England seem to get through Batsmen in particular at quite a rate it seems.

Think you need to filter it more to show stats over the last 10 years and against nations that dont include Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Think you need to filter it more to show stats over the last 10 years and against nations that dont include Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. 

The article goes in to much more detail if you read it. The table for the last 20 years below (has overall figures for top 8 only at the bottom)

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

The article goes in to much more detail if you read it. The table for the last 20 years below (has overall figures for top 8 only at the bottom)

spacer.png

Ok interesting Australia and South Africa have a plus 50% win record but there again  Australia had McGrath and Warne and South Africa had Dale Steyn but things may have changed a bit over the last 10 years 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Ok interesting Australia and South Africa have a plus 50% win record but there again  Australia had McGrath and Warne and South Africa had Dale Steyn but things may have changed a bit over the last 10 years 

Yeah you'd think with things like IPL, Big Bash etc. that players were travelling a bit more and should if anything have had more experience of differing conditions, at least before covid anyway, but then the test teams aren't always made up of those players I suppose.

I've always though it a sign of a good team to win an away test series, because there's so much stacked against you.  

2 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Yeah you'd think with things like IPL, Big Bash etc. that players were travelling a bit more and should if anything have had more experience of differing conditions, at least before covid anyway, but then the test teams aren't always made up of those players I suppose.

I've always though it a sign of a good team to win an away test series, because there's so much stacked against you.  

Yes I agree. The team we had with Cook, Bell, Trott, kp, Swann etc was an outstanding one. Australia had a great team and South Africa had a very good one. In recent series we lost in the windies. 

Â