Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

5 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Who is sending in Archer at 8? Why does this keep happening? Irrelevant of the pitch he's just simply a terrible batsman and should be in at 11. 

He's good at COD though.. 

On Twitter he only uses it to retweet Caribbean ladies tweets and asking anyone if they want to play COD :lol:  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

At what point is it reasonable to call a pitch disgraceful at test level? This is complete madness. We're now at 87-12 today with all wickets falling to spin on day two of a test match. 

The worst thing about this for me is that when India are in England in the Summer we're bound to see the greenest pitches possible in response to this.

I reckon I'd have a chance of picking up a couple of wickets on this and I've never bowled a ball of spin in my life.

Having picked 4 seamers on this pitch I wouldn't be surprised if we picked 3 spinners on a greentop this summer.  

I love Jack Leach, he is such a battler.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Having picked 4 seamers on this pitch I wouldn't be surprised if we picked 3 spinners on a greentop this summer.  

I love Jack Leach, he is such a battler.

I do wonder who's looked at this pitch and decided we needed the extra seamer. With the additional fact that picking the 4 seamers has extended our tail dramatically it is a bizarre decision.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Well what better way to allow Bess to play his way back in to form than to pick him on a lifeless pitch where he can return figures of 0-100...that’s got to be the plan right?! 

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

Dont know, suppose Broad and Anderson have to play if thats the conditions, Archer has somehow convinced some people in the England setup he is the next McGrath so seems to play more than not. 

They needed the extra spinner thats the big issue

Chris Woakes is too nice. According George Dobell, England have no faith in Bess at the moment and Moeen would have played if he hadn't have gone home. I can imagine some of batsmen from former years being able to bat on these conditions. Modern batsmen are too used to playing on good pitches. 

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Did Foakes not hit that? Seemed to be a small spike before it hit the pad. Home umpires really haven't worked in this test match.

Hard to tell, a view from leg side might have helped but why wait when you can just give it out.  

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Having lost the first test, I think it's pretty clear that India have then done absolutely everything possible to ensure that the series didn't continue that way - pitches, umpiring, anything they could do.

It’s a disgrace and totally against the ethos of the game.

But of course, nothing will be done because it’s India.

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

This isn't really just a turning pitch.  The pitches in Sri Lanka were turning pitches and we (Root) coped pretty well.  Every ball in this one is taking a chunk out of the pitch, you can tell by the rotation of the seam that a lot of Axar's deliveries are supposed to turn but they just land and shoot straight on.  Some batsmen have played to cover the line of the ball in case it doesn't turn and got out, some have tried to play for spin and got out, all to pretty much the same delivery.  It's a lottery.  Fair enough after 4 or 5 days in the baking heat it's unavoidable if the pitch starts misbehaving but this is day 2.

I think the giveaway was within a few overs of the India first innings we were asking the ground staff to repair the craters left by the Indian bowlers footmarks, the pitch couldn't hold up to a single days play. It's a spinners paradise from day one.

I'm not sure how much it's the pitch, the awful batting, the pink ball, or the rules regarding LBW nowadays, but you can't have test matches finishing inside two days, it's crazy.

• Like 3

Â