Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Just now, tom_avfc said:

I'm not being funny but if India can't bat on this pitch against our average spinners then what chance do England have? If we get the 33 runs to make India bat again it'd be more than I'm expecting looking at this.

I think everyone has realised the pitch is awful but a lot of it is mental as well. Both teams have to play on it and shouldn’t be treating it like a 20/20 match like Bairstow was. 

Thing is, yes it's a turning pitch and it's turning very early in the match, but actually most of the wickets have had very little to do with the pitch, it seems most have been straight balls skidding on quicker than expected. Somebody must figure out how to play it at some point... maybe...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I think everyone has realised the pitch is awful but a lot of it is mental as well. Both teams have to play on it and shouldn’t be treating it like a 20/20 match like Bairstow was. 

I'm not convinced that we shouldn't be treating it like a 20/20 match in many ways. There's an unplayable ball waiting for anyone on this pitch and if you can get a quick 20 before you get that ball then it could be more valuable than scratching around for half an hour and getting 5. Obviously someone like Sibley isn't going to take this approach (its completely alien to him) but a quick cameo from a Stokes or Ollie Pope could win this game for England.

As you say, both teams have to play on it and so far today India have lost 7 wickets for 31 runs and England have lost 2 wickets for 8 runs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Thing is, yes it's a turning pitch and it's turning very early in the match, but actually most of the wickets have had very little to do with the pitch, it seems most have been straight balls skidding on quicker than expected. Somebody must figure out how to play it at some point... maybe...

I guess the difficulty is that the ball is turning square half the time and going straight on the rest of the time. Playing a straight ball is easy if its consistently straight and skidding on. When its as inconsistent as this pitch then the straight ball becomes just as dangerous as the one that turns.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I'm not convinced that we shouldn't be treating it like a 20/20 match in many ways. There's an unplayable ball waiting for anyone on this pitch and if you can get a quick 20 before you get that ball then it could be more valuable than scratching around for half an hour and getting 5. Obviously someone like Sibley isn't going to take this approach (its completely alien to him) but a quick cameo from a Stokes or Ollie Pope could win this game for England.

As you say, both teams have to play on it and so far today India have lost 7 wickets for 31 runs and England have lost 2 wickets for 8 runs. 

Fair to say Stokes does what Stokes does I agree but he needs the batters before him to remain calm and lay some kind of foundation first as much as they can to give him the chance to go out and hulk smash things. It’s difficult and unpredictable but they can do better than they have on this pitch. It’s a terrible pitch but it shouldn’t be the excuse.

Edited by Ingram85

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I guess the difficulty is that the ball is turning square half the time and going straight on the rest of the time. Playing a straight ball is easy if its consistently straight and skidding on. When its as inconsistent as this pitch then the straight ball becomes just as dangerous as the one that turns.

I agree to a point, that's what has fried our batsmen's brains certainly, the thing is if it's turning that much just play for the straight one and if it does turn it's going to miss your outside edge by a distance. 

I would like to see a bit more footwork though, get down the pitch a bit and play with the bowlers length (fnar)... I know it carries danger but otherwise you are kind of just waiting to get out. If you can disrupt the bowlers just a little it might give you the breathing room to get in.

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I agree to a point, that's what has fried our batsmen's brains certainly, the thing is if it's turning that much just play for the straight one and if it does turn it's going to miss your outside edge by a distance. 

I would like to see a bit more footwork though, get down the pitch a bit and play with the bowlers length (fnar)... I know it carries danger but otherwise you are kind of just waiting to get out. If you can disrupt the bowlers just a little it might give you the breathing room to get in.

Yeah fair point. Like you I think an attempt to get to the pitch of the ball would at least be worth a try. I struggle to criticise our batsmen too much though. If India are struggling on a spinning pitch then its always going to be a tough ask for us to score many runs.

Having the long tail that we have here means that another three wickets will pretty much wrap up this innings.

Â