Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

19 hours ago, snowychap said:

He's a better cricketer than Botham was. He isn't anywhere near the bowler Botham was.

Botham miles better bowler. Better slip catcher, too - dropped a lot less. Stokes is a better batter and better outfielder - all IMO.

I see that Ian "Lamby" Botham has been made a lord as well. I wonder what his old mate Alan "Beefy" Lamb makes of it? They did a sort of speaking tour together a way back called "Beef and Lamb stew" (obviously) where they'd talk about different subjects and japes and cricket stuff. I remember Both (Botham, not both 'em) was very proud of being English and the Royals and all that. I bet he'll love being in the House of Lords, when he's in Spain, where he lives.

He's done too much good for people, to think of him harshly for being a gammon, though. Perhaps he can change his nickname to "hammy" from "Lamby"*

*yes I know I've got it wrong. it was deliberate. it's meant to amuse at least one person - me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

Botham miles better bowler. Better slip catcher, too - dropped a lot less. Stokes is a better batter and better outfielder - all IMO.

I see that Ian "Lamby" Botham has been made a lord as well. I wonder what his old mate Alan "Beefy" Lamb makes of it? They did a sort of speaking tour together a way back called "Beef and Lamb stew" (obviously) where they'd talk about different subjects and japes and cricket stuff. I remember Both (Botham, not both 'em) was very proud of being English and the Royals and all that. I bet he'll love being in the House of Lords, when he's in Spain, where he lives.

He's done too much good for people, to think of him harshly for being a gammon, though. Perhaps he can change his nickname to "hammy" from "Lamby"*

*yes I know I've got it wrong. it was deliberate. it's meant to amuse at least one person - me.

I like Lamby and Beefy. 

I'm just surprised Gatting was never called Porky 

Yes Stokes is a batting allrounder, Botham a bowling allrounder. Times have changed. Botham has his best years up to 25 before he did his back. His record was phenomenial. He was averaging nearly 50 with the bat and 20 with the ball. A one man team almost. 

• Like 1

smashing day's cricket, really. Such a shame we lost the whole day to rain yesterday. Anything could happen tomorrow. We'll have to declare in time to give us a chance, but even if it's 280, one would't rule out West Indies chasing it down. I'll be optimistic and say and we win by 20-30 runs. 

edit - working from home is great. Tomorrow's productivity is going to take a cliff face dive at 11am tomorrow I think

Edited by Rodders

22 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Good wicket by Bess. What’s people thoughts on him? Young and inexperienced for a spinner but I’m guessing they have him there for long haul. 

He's generally a good option, had a duff game.today and will be replaced by Leach next test I think. Still learning but but he could become a regular fixture as he learns how and when to mix it up. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Whats the deal with the haircuts and hairbands by England bowlers. If its for charity and will cut later then its fine. If not they look ridiculous

I think they've been in isolation "bio-secure bubble" since before haircutting was allowed again.

Also, it helped them do "winning at cricket", so it's fine by me.

• Like 3

Â