Jump to content
Adblockers - please click ×
veloman

Cricket: General Chat

Recommended Posts

Anyone know what is wrong with Jimmy Anderson; he looked quite poorly I thought ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, veloman said:

Anyone know what is wrong with Jimmy Anderson; he looked quite poorly I thought 

Possible side strain unfortunately.  Shouldn't have bowled in that afternoon spell as didn't look fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great turnaround this test from England. Hopefully Jimmy isn’t seriously out, if so it could be the last time we see him in an England shirt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if it's just a niggle, it's going to add to concern over his viability to last test series in the future with his age. Whilst he's performing when fit, that's not a problem for a 4/5 match series if you can think he'll definitely be fit for at least 2 of the tests he'll get picked. 

In Sri Lanka I suspect there's no point picking him either. 

 

Great win for England though, I'd back us to go on and win this series 3-1 barring weather or very placid pitches. 

Edited by Rodders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's such a shame about Jimmy.  His bowling is as good as it's ever been, but his body is letting him down now.  :( 

I went to the opening Ashes test when he bowled about 4 overs before going off and every ball was an absolute belter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can remember him when he first started his international career, quick, raw and exciting. He has lasted forever it seems. Don’t think he reached the heights of Dale Steyn st his best but he has lasted longer and taken more wickets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

I can remember him when he first started his international career, quick, raw and exciting. He has lasted forever it seems. Don’t think he reached the heights of Dale Steyn st his best but he has lasted longer and taken more wickets. 

The stat about half the rest of the team being about 5 to 7 years old, when he made his debut made me smile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always consider Jacques Kallis the best all rounder of my time watching cricket (I'm not old enough to have seen Sobers), but I think Ben Stokes and surpassed him now. Amazing performance again yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I always consider Jacques Kallis the best all rounder of my time watching cricket (I'm not old enough to have seen Sobers), but I think Ben Stokes and surpassed him now. Amazing performance again yesterday. 

Can't agree with that, I'm afraid.

Stokes is a fine player but Kallis was a much better batsman. Plenty of others above Stokes, in my view, but it's always difficult to measure all-rounders against each other.

Put him up against Botham, for example, and he's a better batsman but not in the same league as a bowler.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Can't agree with that, I'm afraid.

Stokes is a fine player but Kallis was a much better batsman. Plenty of others above Stokes, in my view, but it's always difficult to measure all-rounders against each other.

Put him up against Botham, for example, and he's a better batsman but not in the same league as a bowler.

Kallis for me is the most underrated player of my cricketing time (started watching mid 80's), because he wasn't flashy, or covered in ink, or controversial I think his impact on cricket is a bit lost. He spent the majority of his career batting at no. 3, he quite often was first change bowler and he fielded in the slips/gully areas. The guy was mentally tougher than anyone ever in any sport that I have seen.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Kallis for me is the most underrated player of my cricketing time (started watching mid 80's), because he wasn't flashy, or covered in ink, or controversial I think his impact on cricket is a bit lost. He spent the majority of his career batting at no. 3, he quite often was first change bowler and he fielded in the slips/gully areas. The guy was mentally tougher than anyone ever in any sport that I have seen.

Really?  I thought he was the most boring cricketer of his generation.  Great numbers but I genuinely can't remember a single innings of his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wood in for Anderson, Archer still injured. 

England have thankfully won the toss and batting, as the pitch looks so very slow. Would have been a horror day to bowl on, so hopefully our green openers can cash in. 43/0 off 18 so far. Grind mode on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ireland beat the WIndies in the 1st T20 in their back yard. Gave them some scares in the ODI as well recently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stokes with another 100. He's quite good!

Ollie Pope doing a bloody good job too, bedding in for the long haul. With Sibley, him, and Curran, the new youngsters are promisingly bullying their way into this England side.

How long until Bairstow "independently" decides he's going to be focusing on white ball cricket :detect:

 

 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curran thinks he's playing in a t20 by the looks of things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 off the over and out  ... shame he didn't stick around and put up a  bigger score but England need quick runs about now so job done in that regard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curran played the innings England and Pope needed. Kept the run rate going, taking the pressure off, like Stokes with Sibley in the previous test. Pope could take his time without feeling that he was slowing down the team. An excellent role from Curran and helped Ollie get his 100. Ideally he'd have ensured he stuck around until Pope got over the line at least, but a pacy 40 stopped us possibly getting bogged down and losing momentum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beeb:

 

Quote

 

Andy Zaltzman

Test Match Special statistician on The Cricket Social

Before today Mark Wood had hit only eight sixes in more than 2,500 balls in first-class cricket.

 

And he got 5 in 23 balls today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rodders said:

How long until Bairstow "independently" decides he's going to be focusing on white ball cricket :detect:

 

 

Unless he can reinvent himself as a specialist number 3 batsman, he's finished in tests. 

England look like they're finally putting together a decent team. Amazing what can happen when you actually play red ball players in test cricket and don't try and shoehorn white ball players like Hales and Roy in. Burns and Sibley hopefully will cement the opening positions for years, Root at 4, Pope at 5, Stokes at 6 (think that switch will happen once Pope has a few more games under his belt) and Buttler at 7 while keeping wicket. Foakes to replace Buttler in due course. Just number 3 position to find. Denly doing a solid job at the minute but he's not a long term option. Maybe Crawley can play that role. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â