Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

41 minutes ago, veloman said:

"Really good spinner" comment WAS mainly based on his performance in the last test - so might have been a bit of an exaggeration . He is a more than useful bat too I think. Either way, I still think it's a cock up !😄

Fair enough. He looks half decent but I don't think he ought to be seen as any great worry. Decent player and may go on to be really good.

I agree that it doesn't look the smartest of choices to stick them in at the moment (though Williamson was intending to do the same, I believe).

7 hours ago, veloman said:

Now I realise it is somewhat churlish to keep on Root's case but .... was it really a good idea to win the toss and choose to bat last when they have a really good spinner like Mitchell Santner in their team ! Perhaps someone with greater in-depth knowledge than me can explain that. But FAR more serious is the news that Jeetan Patel is retiring next year from Warks. How the hell will they replace him - great player IMO.

Can’t replace a player like Jeetan. Never thought he would be that good after his first spell with us. Surprised he has such a poor test record. Maybe lived in the shell of Vetorri a bit,

Surprised England left out Leach. Got to have a balanced attack in my opinion. Root and Denly not even part-timers really. 

Shame Sibley failed again. Needs to be given time though 

• Like 1

Well done Joe Root. An excellent double hundred. Well done Ollie Pope too. Tough to get a positive result, as pitch is slow and not deteriorating, but at least it's an encouraging direction for the South Africa tour. 

Bob Willis gone - only 70 - after "a short illness". A Warks legend IMO but there is a point of view that he reserved his best performances for England. I remember when he signed from Surrey; papers said there was a 'soccer style rush' to get his signature. Those were the days when Warks had some ambition (and money it appears) - certainly odds to now. RIP

On a brighter note - good to see Jeetan Patel's ability recognised by England as he joins coaching staff.

He looked frail during the Ashes series whenever I saw him on TV but had no idea he was ill 

70's an ok knock but shame he couldn't push on and convert it into a century

Really sad, I know he had a good innings at 70 but I actually really enjoyed watching/listening to him, yeah he was grumpy and often focused on negatives but he told it like it was and didn’t hold back.

The world of cricket will be a little poorer without him.

RIP

• Like 4

5 hours ago, veloman said:

Bob Willis gone

An interesting Obit/Career summary from Vic Marks - I think the last paragraph is great:

Teammates are a reliable barometer and you would be hard-pressed to find any who do not speak well of Willis, citing not only his unrelenting passion for playing for England but also a piercing, dry sense of humour. Away from the cricket he smiled quite often and was the most entertaining of companions. Perhaps more telling are reports of a dinner that Willis had with England’s pace bowlers a couple of years ago. The youngsters arrived warily since this was the man who always seemed to be slagging them off on Sky; they left enlightened and entertained after the most congenial of evenings, recognising that Bob Willis was actually one of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, veloman said:

Bob Willis gone - only 70 - after "a short illness". A Warks legend IMO but there is a point of view that he reserved his best performances for England. I remember when he signed from Surrey; papers said there was a 'soccer style rush' to get his signature. Those were the days when Warks had some ambition (and money it appears) - certainly odds to now. RIP

On a brighter note - good to see Jeetan Patel's ability recognised by England as he joins coaching staff.

Just saw the news very sad. Great servant for Warwickshire and England. Up there with the best fast bowlers England have had. There is a point of view he reserved his best performances for England. But this was a time when you had to honour your county as well as your country, so no breaks from county cricket just to play test cricket. He bowled some great spells for Warwickshire too, they were a bit more isolated. But he captained us to the win the sunday league which was the first competition I saw us win. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Really sad, I know he had a good innings at 70 but I actually really enjoyed watching/listening to him, yeah he was grumpy and often focused on negatives but he told it like it was and didn’t hold back.

The world of cricket will be a little poorer without him.

RIP

I never saw him play but loved his punditry for all them reasons 

• 4 weeks later...

It’s strange to me that a player with nearly 200 test wickets and 5 test hundreds who was man of the series last time these two test nations met had his central contract stopped, which we now know is the real reason he didn’t put himself up for selection in South Africa. They knew leach had a serious illness while out in New Zealand as well. Really bad management. 

Â