Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I haven't watched the highlights programme yet but have been told that Archer didn't look too bothered. Was this because he wasn't given the new ball do you think ? In which case, another example of Root's captaincy . Opinions ?

38 minutes ago, veloman said:

I haven't watched the highlights programme yet but have been told that Archer didn't look too bothered. Was this because he wasn't given the new ball do you think ? In which case, another example of Root's captaincy . Opinions ?

I basically saw the first session, God knows why but Root started the day with Curran and Broad bowling, neither of whom got the ball above 80mph.  Gave Nicholls and Watling a friendly half hour to get themselves in before Jofra (who had hit Nicholls on the head the night before) got the ball.  He then got the edge but we only had one slip.  I genuinely have no idea how Root is still captain, he is utter dogturd.  Jofra did do a bit of village fielding at one stage, which is perhaps where he looked like he wasnt bothered but he bowled more than the other seamers.  It's like Joe wants him to do the donkey work when he is better being saved to bowl at full pelt at the most important times.  

• Like 2

Thanks for that assessment. Although I am just an idiot, I never thought Root was Captain material; how long will it take the ECB to realise that good players don't always make good Captains. Gower for example , who I thought was  a great batsman, but never cut it as Captain (IIRC). (and still irritated 'cos Woakes was dropped😄)

• Like 2

Root is the master of chat, was saying he was going to make big runs in New Zealand just like he said at Ashes. 3 years since he made a century abroad vs a competent attack. No disrespect to Sri Lanka or WIndies

5 test centuries in 3 years

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Root is the master of chat, was saying he was going to make big runs in New Zealand just like he said at Ashes. 3 years since he made a century abroad vs a competent attack. No disrespect to Sri Lanka or WIndies

5 test centuries in 3 years

He's not even the master of chat.  In his post-match interview he actually said that Archer needs to bowl shorter spells and put more effort in ffs.  That's his job ffs.  To be fair I think Joe needs putting out of his misery, he coped worse than Jo Swinson under interrogation.  

yes, we need that old root back, it's getting to a point, where instead of just losing the captaincy to get his batting back, he's not currently worth his place in the side. Two dismissals cheaply to de Grandhomme. 

Not sure which element was worse. The three wickets at the end of day 4 were a disaster - and all avoidable - Sibley reaching wide, Burns with the stupidest shot selection given the time of day, and then Leach not reviewing. I can forgive Leach somewhat, not wanting to lose a review, but the other two were poor. Decisions clouded by fatigue maybe, but you still expect better, particularly from Burns. 

I know Sibley hasn't scored many this test, and his dismissals haven't been great, but I think he's got a good chance nevertheless of making it. Only one test in etc. 

Root hasn't used Archer well, and Archer hasn't bowled well, perhaps being vaunted as some kind of "special one" puts a lot of pressure on. Bowling wise, I'm unsure if Woakes would fare much better with this ball, but when you've toiled for 200 overs and not done well, maybe he needs to come in to at least offer more rotatation - a high risk strategy, if Stokes' knee is a bit iffy, bringing in Woakes might be necessary. 

Is Wood still injured? 

I hope the next deck does offer a bit more to the bowlers, if it's like this, and New Zealand will be happy with that, I can't see us having more joy. We need centuries not half centuries, and gritty starts - even if those gritty starts are at least a step in the right direction. 

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

I hope the next deck does offer a bit more to the bowlers, if it's like this, and New Zealand will be happy with that

According to Jeremy Coney on the radio last night: it's not as flat as here; it does a bit; it swings there but it's not quick.

Doesn't sound ideal.

Another poor batting performance in the 2nd innings. We just lack enough players who can dig in and graft. Playing the bulk of county championship games in the months of March and September doesn't help.

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Another poor batting performance in the 2nd innings. We just lack enough players who can dig in and graft. 

You mean like Jonathon Trott and Ian Bell perhaps !!! (usual lack of Warks bias from me😁😁)

• Haha 1

Now I realise it is somewhat churlish to keep on Root's case but .... was it really a good idea to win the toss and choose to bat last when they have a really good spinner like Mitchell Santner in their team ! Perhaps someone with greater in-depth knowledge than me can explain that. But FAR more serious is the news that Jeetan Patel is retiring next year from Warks. How the hell will they replace him - great player IMO.

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Now I realise it is somewhat churlish to keep on Root's case but .... was it really a good idea to win the toss and choose to bat last when they have a really good spinner like Mitchell Santner in their team ! Perhaps someone with greater in-depth knowledge than me can explain that.

I wouldn't go as far as to explain it but I think the accusation was that it was almost a choice by numbers/by data, i.e. it's a pitch that normally does something for the seamers/swingers on the first day (I don't know how well that's backed up, by the way). The issue, other than not picking a spinner and NZ having one (is Santner a 'really good spinner', though? - he seems not to have taken more than 3 wickets in an innings in his first class career), appeared to be that it wasn't as green as those pitches normally are according to Ian Smith.

"Really good spinner" comment WAS mainly based on his performance in the last test - so might have been a bit of an exaggeration . He is a more than useful bat too I think. Either way, I still think it's a cock up !😄

• Like 1

Â