Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

23 hours ago, Xela said:

Lost the final on the last ball :( 

yes dissapointing really but the toss didn't help and Worcester were on top all the way in the Essex innings until the final few balls. Still it was remarkable that they got their anyway. 

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49796580

Jonny Bairstow has been left out of England's squad for the Tests in New Zealand, while uncapped quartet Matthew Parkinson, Dom Sibley, Zak Crawley and Saqib Mahmood have been called up.

Wicketkeeper Bairstow averages 20.25 in Tests this year, so Jos Buttler will take the gloves.

Warwickshire's Sibley and Kent's Crawley will compete for places at the top of the order.

Pace bowler Mahmood and leg-spinner Parkinson provide bowling cover.

Sibley, 24, is the only batsman to make more than 1,000 runs in Division One of the County Championship this season, while 21-year-old Crawley is highly regarded and has made 820 runs this summer.

Mahmood and Parkinson, both 22 and of Lancashire, have 21 and 19 wickets respectively in Division Two.

Mahmood gives back-up to a fast bowling unit that is without injured trio James Anderson, Mark Wood and Olly Stone, while Parkinson will be number two to left-arm spinner Jack Leach.

Surrey batsman Ollie Pope, who played two Tests in 2018, is recalled.

the ego has been dropped. Thank the lord. Sibley and Pope in is great. Crawley has finished the county season very poorly so he's a bit lucky to get in. I suppose with this series not part of this newfangled Test championship they can try a couple of younger players out. No Foakes though sadly. Pat Brown with a well deserved call up for the T20 squad

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

So we replace one mediocre wicket keeper with another mediocre wicket keeper in Buttler   .. its like the selectors don't watch any cricket

Not quite that simple though as I'm sure they'll be hoping the new batsman also ends up with a higher average. Sadly I don't think wicket keeping ability has really been coming into it when picking the team.

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Jos is a better player than Bairstow. 

that's like saying Heskey is better than Harewood  , there are still better options out there

Buttler is hardly on fire as a batsman , averaging 26 in 2019 at test level  ....  giving him the gloves is more than likely not going to help that situation , so you don't solve anything in the grand scheme of things

Just now, tonyh29 said:

that's like saying Heskey is better than Harewood  , there are still better options out there

Buttler is hardly on fire as a batsman , averaging 26 in 2019 at test level  ....  giving him the gloves is more than likely not going to help that situation , so you don't solve anything in the grand scheme of things

He's probably averaging that because he's always coming in after 10 overs when we're 4 batsmen down.

I think he's a great player. 

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Foakes is a better gloveman but he's had a poor year with the bat for Surrey. He'll get this chance soon I'm sure

Great to see Sibley and Pope in the squad. Also Denly played his way in with 3 fifties in his last 5 innings in the Ashes. 

Crawley is a bit lucky but will be good experience for him

Don't know much about Mahmood. Parkinson has the feel of a Bess or Kerrigan or Crane - a spinner to be seen once and never again. 

20 hours ago, PaulC said:

Didn't know that Moeen had discounted himself from the winter tours. Maybe he wont play for England in red ball cricket again. Sibley had to come in and should surely bat at 3

I would have thought Sibley would open with Denly at 3?

• 3 weeks later...

Completely pointless but will do well as it's on free tv. So the ECB will think they're right rather than realising free tv for any of the other formats would work too. 4 formats is a joke. Should just revamp the T20 and merge these ideas if they must. But I don't like only 8 teams and the tragic team names. I mean why would a Somerset fan bother watching the Welsh dragons as their "local" side? 

I'd like to completely ignore it but I suspect some degree of curiosity will take hold next summer. 

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

So, The Hundred. 

What do we think?

Not for me ,  the T-20 doesn’t give you enough time to get nicely drunk so a shorter version doesn’t appeal 

• Like 1

I thought they should have done the city/franchise thing over a decade ago before the IPL was created, so the horse has bolted really.  Not sure why they can't just play T20, they go on about the 100 being easier for kids and women to understand but they arent as daft as the ECB seem to think, plus it seems more complicated anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, snowychap said:

England collapse.

277-4 to 295-8.

This is becoming a bit of a familiar story isn't it ? Needs Chris Woakes in there to bolster the middle order !(no bias of course 😁

• Like 1

Still got to 350 which was a good total against new Zealand's attack. I do feel the commentary re expected totals almost gears up for a likely failure talking about 450 etc. Yes it was possible, if batting goes wholly right and the bowlers don't do anything. Some of the dismissals were a gift but it was a good day. I suspect we'll Still have a lead of at least 70 odd. We've already got their Steve Smith out. Plenty of positives. 2 out of the top 3 getting 50s, forming useful partnerships. Even Sibleys 22 was useful. The first hour was seen off and with experience I think he's got a good chance of holding his spot there. Obviously a century from one of the top3/4 is what we ideally want , but it's encouraging. Not sure about Archer at 9, Leach is making a good case to climb the batting order 😁

• Like 1

Â