Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

England team for final test

England have made two changes to the side for the fifth Ashes Test starting at the Kia Oval on Thursday.

Sam Curran and Chris Woakes have been named in the team, with Jason Roy and Craig Overton missing out from the XI that played the fourth Test at Old Trafford.

England team for fifth Ashes Test: Joe Root (c), Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jack Leach, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Weird, batting is the problem so we replace an opening batsman with an allrounder. 

Curran is probably a better test batsman than Roy anyway. Same as Woakes.

It does look a long tail though. 

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Curran is probably a better test batsman than Roy anyway. Same as Woakes.

It does look a long tail though. 

I am not disagreeing with you but now we have an abundance of seamers unless Stokes cant bowl and light on top order batsmen. particularly when you have Buttler and Bairstow in such poor form. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I am not disagreeing with you but now we have an abundance of seamers unless Stokes cant bowl and light on top order batsmen. particularly when you have Buttler and Bairstow in such poor form. 

I agree, we appear to have no other options. Or no other options the selectors feel comfortable with. 

Hopefully the winter tours will see some new faces. 

I suppose they must have decided now was too soon to throw someone in and sully them with this final test. Maybe the ghost of simon kerrigan's inauspicious test at the end of a series haunts them. At least Woakes' return puts to bed various rumours of pissing off people. There are the final county games going on for the next few weeks so hopefully name's get thrown up.

And the Bears have got some tenacious contenders - Matthew Lamb with a hard earned 170 odd today. The much mentioned Sibley got a 51 yesterday, Crawley got 82. Mo sadly has only got a breezy 18 and 26, albeit in not great batting conditions. I think any return for him needs some regular solid scores over the last two matches, but more likely from next season onwards. 

• Like 2

Root said Stokes is too much of a risk for bowling which is why Curran comes in for Roy. Also said Woakes back in for Overton as the latter was picked for conditions at OT - also that he had a back spasm during the game (didn’t seem to affect his batting on Sunday though!)

Cant see Broad retiring now, I reckon he’ll want another Ashes series and possibly even another home Ashes- he doesn’t play limited overs so should be fine fitness wise and he’s bowled as well as ever this summer.

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

sneaky plan from the Aussies this, bowl badly so some England players get big scores and dont get replaced going forward

Already dropped root twice. The siddle one at fine leg was a dolly as well.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

sneaky plan from the Aussies this, bowl badly so some England players get big scores and dont get replaced going forward

Assuming that was an entirely serious comment, the Aussies have previous for this. I'm pretty sure that they played Gooch into the England team before he was really ready and then I think he got ducks . Someone might be able to confirm this. I think they did it in the 60's or early 70's too - but can't remember who it was.

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Denly out again, must have used up his last chance

Opening stand of 27.

Our highest of the series apparently (according to the BBC)

Laughable. 

not wishing to temp fate or anything like that.....

.....so at 164/3 what do we all think will be a good score?

I am paying my first ever visit to the Oval on Saturday. Sitting in the Bedser upper stand. Looking forward to it. Anybody been in that stand in the past. Any tips?

Â