Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It was more a criticism of our top order than a genuine desire to see Leach open the batting. We have a real shortage of batsman who can tough out an innings over several sessions.

Bring back Boycott 😀

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I mean I'd even take someone far inferior like Nasser Hussein. Just anyone who knows how to hang in there at the top of the order. Fed up of watching batsmen get a start and then throw it away.

You don’t even have to go that far back. Cook and Trott were great at sticking around 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I mean I'd even take someone far inferior like Nasser Hussein. Just anyone who knows how to hang in there at the top of the order. Fed up of watching batsmen get a start and then throw it away.

The ECB put all their eggs in the white ball basket and we're now paying the price. 

The World Cup was wonderful but its put our test and first class game back a lot.

• Like 1

Got to say Joe Root isn't captain material. Here's Graeme Swann talking about the captaincy in 2016 and I think he's spot on (starts at 6:10):

I don't particularly think Cook was either, but he was a world class Test batsman who led by example.

We were on to a good thing with captains like Hussein, Vaughan and Strauss, and we've reverted back to giving it to the best player. Don't get the logic. Australia have retained the Ashes with an absolutely garbage player as captain.

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We were on to a good thing with captains like Hussein, Vaughan and Strauss

Vaughan and Strauss got huge amounts of criticism when they were captains - especially for defensive field placings, I seem to remember.

I think there is much too much put on the role of captain - especially when decisions are unlikely to be purely their own. Sure, some captains can make the difference (Brearley, perhaps) but it's really rare.

It's not just a cricket thing, it's a society thing when managers and 'leaders' are given much too much credit for the success of an organization.

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Vaughan and Strauss got huge amounts of criticism when they were captains - especially for defensive field placings, I seem to remember.

I think there is much too much put on the role of captain - especially when decisions are unlikely to be purely their own. Sure, some captains can make the difference (Brearley, perhaps) but it's really rare.

It's not just a cricket thing, it's a society thing when managers and 'leaders' are given much too much credit for the success of an organization.

Vaughan was a really good skipper, especially managing a dressing room with some very big characters in it but the bowling attack quickly fell apart and his knees went too.  Duncan Fletcher had a very good eye for talent too which helped.  I thought Strauss and Flower were a bit rigid but had almost the perfect team to use.  Cook was a crap captain but scored loads of runs, Root is even worse and his batting has suffered too.  I think he should step down but you'd be struggling to find a replacement.

I’d go with Stokes. 

He doesn’t have the pressure of opening the batting and with the emergence of Archer, he doesn’t need to be a ‘frontline’ bowler either. 

You can see in the huddles that he’s a leader in there already and I think the experiences he’s had both on and off the field in the past couple of years will stand him in good stead. 

He’s got cojones the size of beach balls, capable of greatness and can handle the most high pressure of situations. 

As @snowychap has said, I think there’s a bit too much put on the role. Let the selectors select, the coaches coach and the players concentrate on their jobs. The next Captain IMO needs to be a character who can lead and inspire both on the pitch and in the dressing room. Stokes has those qualities in abundance. 

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Disagree. In cricket the captain is extremely important. Nothing like captain in other sports.

I don't remember Vaughan and Strauss getting huge amounts of criticism as captains, to be honest, but maybe it did happen from time to time. I remember Cook getting a lot of criticism in the early days for defensive field placings.

I'm not blaming Root for this series, but I really think we should consider switching up to a more natural captain figure. Possibly Rory Burns, who already captains Surrey and isn't too involved in white ball cricket.

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Disagree. In cricket the captain is extremely important. Nothing like captain in other sports.

I don't remember Vaughan and Strauss getting huge amounts of criticism as captains, to be honest, but maybe it did happen from time to time. I remember Cook getting a lot of criticism in the early days for defensive field placings.

I'm not blaming Root for this series, but I really think we should consider switching up to a more natural captain figure. Possibly Rory Burns, who already captains Surrey and isn't too involved in white ball cricket.

I understand the role of the captain in cricket, ordinarily.

I'd suggest that the higher up the game you go the less important the person in the role actually is (unless they're truly inspirational or amazing) especially as most teams seem to be led by committee rather than individual nowadays (skipper, vice-skipper, coach, goodness knows how many technical people adding input, &c.).

Vaughan and Strauss certainly received criticism though I'd say it was probably a littlle unfair given what I've said above in that they probably weren't whollly responsible for the decisions made.

As for the last commet, no - absolutely not. We should never consider apppointing someone who is not certain of their place in the side as captain. See earlier comment about Chris Cowdrey.

If Burns has cemented his place in the side then sure consider him as a skipper but the captain shouldn't be liable to be dropped other than for an extreme loss of form.

So, in the England side, the only potential captains, for me, are Root and Stokes.

Edited by snowychap

Â