Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

The best thing about it is not really worrying about who comes in. Stone and Archer are both more of a threat with the ball than Stokes for me. Curran's ommission is rather baffling but then it is the ECB after all. Buttler and Stokes could bat higher up imo. We missed Jimmy skittling out the tail-enders for sure but also the extra workload on the others probably took it's toll a bit.

Pressure is on massively to bat past lunch tomorrow (and I'm only half joking eh?) :)

All joking aside, all eyes on the top 3. They could all do with a decent start to the series.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snowychap said:

Yeah, shame a cheat will be tarnished over an incident of cheating.

Completely agree and I don’t really understand the pundits questioning why he’s being booed. He cheated in one of the most outrageous ways I’ve seen in any sport.

Great player obviously but I hope the sandpaper incident rightly sticks with him for his entire career. 

He cheated, was punished, I wish we'd move on. i **** hate the booing. The panto stuff when he comes out to bat, fair enough, and take the piss sure that's all fair game, but booing when he reaches his 50, 100 etc is pathetic. Smith's innings was a phenomenal innings. He's a great player. 

Perhaps it's the underlying sense of holier-than-thou that's implied with the booing suggesting England would never do such an egregious thing. Which is bollocks, England have pushed the lines before, and just because one side steps over it, doesn't make them scum for ever. They got very hefty punishments, now time to move on. It won't happen, obviously, as people love to be outraged and feel self-righteous all the time nowadays, which is a shame. 

Frustrating day yesterday though but when you're a bowler light its not easy and Stokes wasn't on form with the ball which didn't help. Not blaming Jimmy myself, when he's fit, he's in. He was declared fit, so he was in the side.  People would have been shocked if he wasn't starting. It was just unfortunate - and yes our batsman our now going to need to step up to ensure that we have to have a first innings lead.

I do think Curran should be in there for Denly ( move Stokes, etc up the order ) 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Perhaps it's the underlying sense of holier-than-thou that's implied with the booing suggesting England would never do such an egregious thing. Which is bollocks, England have pushed the lines before, and just because one side steps over it, doesn't make them scum for ever. They got very hefty punishments, now time to move on. It won't happen, obviously, as people love to be outraged and feel self-righteous all the time nowadays, which is a shame. 

Agreed ! Michael Atherton and the dirt in the pocket anyone ????

9 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Anderson should have been made to play a full game before classing him as fit for the first test. Predictable breakdown, and now he'll probably miss the series. Should have gone with Stone or Curran and brought Jimmy in for test 2 or 3.

There isn't any 4 day cricket on at the moment which makes it hard to prove fitness for a Test match.  Jofra is having to play a 3 day second XI match this week, imagine being a teenager turning up for a second XI game and finding Jof at the end of his run up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

He cheated, was punished, I wish we'd move on. i **** hate the booing. The panto stuff when he comes out to bat, fair enough, and take the piss sure that's all fair game, but booing when he reaches his 50, 100 etc is pathetic. Smith's innings was a phenomenal innings. He's a great player. 

Typical bollocks.

Yeah, let's chuck in a bit of 'holier-than-thou' and a few demands to 'move on' and put it all back on the people who haven't been caught out rather than the people who have done wrong.

Yes, there may well be some people who view the whole thing as a pantomime (I've never been in the crowd so I can't imagine that I've ever booed him or Warner or Bancroft whilst watching or listening) but this glossing over and classing people's criticism as being about 'loving to be outraged' and 'self-righteous' is utter tripe.

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Michael Atherton and the dirt in the pocket anyone ???

Yes, a disgrace.

As were/are people with bottle tops. As were/are the sweet incidents. As are people clicking their fingers in the slips. As are...

Just play the **** game and win or lose on your merits.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

I understand the booing entirely - and remember, this was Smith's first Test match since the ban. No doubt it will die down in time. And I think the crowd clearly appreciated his incredible innings yesterday.

I think it's the cumulative effect of everything - firstly for a long time, Australian cricket has been arrogant to the point of offensiveness. Secondly, they've been word removes on the pitch for some time too. Three, the treatment Australia dished out to Broad a few years back for his perceived unsporting behaviour, very much publicly encouraged by Smith. Four, Smith, like Warner, is not really a very likeable guy. Five, it wasn't just the cheating itself - it was the fact that as captain he knew about it, chose to turn a blind eye, then lied about it to the press. And then later profited from it with a string of cringe-worthy tv ads here in Oz.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Typical bollocks.

Yeah, let's chuck in a bit of 'holier-than-thou' and a few demands to 'move on' and put it all back on the people who haven't been caught out rather than the people who have done wrong.

Yes, there may well be some people who view the whole thing as a pantomime (I've never been in the crowd so I can't imagine that I've ever booed him or Warner or Bancroft whilst watching or listening) but this glossing over and classing people's criticism as being about 'loving to be outraged' and 'self-righteous' is utter tripe.

Maybe I expressed myself poorly first time around, but I wasn't trying to put it all back on the others. I obviously get the criticism, nor do I think everyone who is booing is self-righteous - that was me I suppose lazily adding in  / conflating  the booing to a general frustration with people getting upset too easily in general, which is different to people feeling put out by cheats, my error in not making that clear. Fine, I didn't mean to belittle people's criticism of the players, and I accept my wording was poor. 

But, to me anyway, I suppose it just feels a bit disproportionate. Maybe, it's down to me perceiving the cheating as of a "lesser" crime than say spot-fixing, or say athletes taking enhancing drugs. It was a boundary crossed and very poor form at that. But, ok maybe a full series of people making their point clear does ram the disapproval home.  I suppose i just feel a bit sorry for them on a human level, which I think occasionally get's forgotten. That's more what I was getting at, but wasn't really articulated in my previous post. 

Still think there's the odd air of 'preachiness'  when it comes to these issues, but that's just my impression, others obviously feel differently and fair enough. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I suppose i just feel a bit sorry for them on a human level, which I think occasionally get's forgotten.

I just don't get the impression that there is or has been any suitable contrition.

I may be wrong on that.

Edit: Apologies for the forthright nature of my previous post. :blush:

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Roy out then...and Root in at 3. A Smith-esque Captain's innings would go down a treat about now Joe :thumb:

I like the thinking (if it works) not throwing Burns and Denly to the Lions as it were.

Edited by VILLAMARV
Still learning how to spell Denly properly :)

Excellent gritty test innings from Burns

Buttler not surprisingly out cheaply. Another wonderful ODI/T20 player but being played in tests due to lack of better options caused by the neglect of the first class game in England [/high horse]

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Umpiring is shit nowadays. Every run out appeal, even if miles in/out is checked. They used to be able to make these decisions themselves with a good degree of accuracy

• Like 1

Â