Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Bowlers saves the batsmen blushes again.

No idea if we can form a decent batting line up anymore? 

The focus has clearly been on white ball cricket for years and while we have reaped the benefits of that, we can't produce a decent test batsman anymore. 

It'll be tough to win the Ashes this year. 

As a second generation Irishman i paid a passing interest to this test and thought it was fun while it lasted but anything over 120 would've been too much to chase. However, i didn't think they'd be skittled out for so few.

On Twitter (where else !?) there were some snipy thin skinned england supporters giving it large about Mrs Brown, Ruby Walsh, Paddy Power, Barry Mcguigan boys taking one hell of a beating. I'd be more concerned for next week when a proper test side shows up than gloating over beating a team of bang average county players who try hard but aren't exactly household names. 

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Bowlers saves the batsmen blushes again.

No idea if we can form a decent batting line up anymore? 

The focus has clearly been on white ball cricket for years and while we have reaped the benefits of that, we can't produce a decent test batsman anymore. 

It'll be tough to win the Ashes this year. 

I think they'll be 5 results. Their batting ain't no great shakes. Both bowling lineups decent. Smith could be difference, can't get jumpy little tit out.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

England have a huge elephant in the room when it comes to batting. I think Root has been poor for a few years now 

English tradition demands that we take the most talented batsman available and make him captain so that he can't concentrate on his batting.

• Like 1

3-2 Aussies I'll say at the moment. Warner Bancroft Smith and Labuschane is a more reliable opening set of batters. Bowling is strong for both sides but we're putting too much on Stokes and Buttler atm. 

Squad:

England squad for first Ashes Test: Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Woakes is England's best player.

There, I said it.

That puerile Northern monkey Lloyd said he (Chris Woakes) wouldn't be in his starting 11 for Edgbaston. My loathing of that man goes on and on. A career as a 3rd rate Working Men's Club comedian awaits him.

On 27/07/2019 at 17:48, Zatman said:

England have a huge elephant in the room when it comes to batting. I think Root has been poor for a few years now 

Root's test averages:

2016 - 49.2

2017 - 50.8

2018 - 41.2

I wish we had a few other batsmen who were that poor!

• Like 2

On 27/07/2019 at 20:33, Rodders said:

3-2 Aussies I'll say at the moment. Warner Bancroft Smith and Labuschane is a more reliable opening set of batters. Bowling is strong for both sides but we're putting too much on Stokes and Buttler atm. 

I can't see a 3-2, surely rain will wash out at least one test!

I think the Aussies have the edge with the batting on paper, but they're pretty fragile too. I've seen this side collapse an awful lot in the last few years. Only Warner, Smith and Khawaja have any sort of decent international record over a period of time, and Mitchell Marsh as an all-rounder isn't fit to lace Stokes's boots.

Whatever happens I think it will be a very close series.

Bancroft has at least been playing regularly for Durham in the county championship so I guess they went with familiarity with English conditions, although big difference between div 2 and test bowlers. 

Great to see Woakes get an early one. 

• Like 1

Was going to say Anderson's injury makes this game quite interesting now. Only 3 seamers. Stokes needs to step up.

But actually it seems we'll only be needing the Woakes and Broad thing. :D

Getting a bit silly like the Ireland game out there atm.

Â