Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

7 hours ago, Rodders said:

so a 12 man squad. No Woakes sadly. Personally I would drop Moeen and play Leach instead. Mo is offering nothing with the bat and leach can offer solid enough control one end. Good luck to Mr Denly, too, though my expectations are cautiously low I must admit.

Mo is our best spinner and also averages 30 with the bat. No way should he be dropped. 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2019 at 02:14, Rodders said:

Mentally Mo has become like Broad, his batting is so fluffy and weak. He's fine when we're in a good position, and there to accelerate the scoring but any pressure and he's utterly poo.

🤔

😋

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Bunch of turds.

That was before I saw the 'highlights'.

Wow. That was utterly terrible.

When do we get shot of the Aussie bloke? Obviously, I understand that he'll be lauded as a genius should we win the WC this summer but still...

• Like 1

Our batting under pressure is appalling and we show no application to dig in, or ability to respect conditions and match situations. It's pathetic. 

Full credit to the west Indies and Joseph playing when his mum had died, they have learned from all their own foibles over the years and batted really intelligently. I'd have their openers in a heart beat.

14 hours ago, snowychap said:

That was before I saw the 'highlights'.

Wow. That was utterly terrible.

When do we get shot of the Aussie bloke? Obviously, I understand that he'll be lauded as a genius should we win the WC this summer but still...

I don't think Bayliss is to blame. Yes, I know Strauss got him in to turn our ODI cricket into something that wasn't lamentable (and he's done that in spades), but it's not the test match manager or coach who is to blame for the following (and we just won 3-0 in Sri Lanka) - almost no preparation time, misreading the pitch in 'bados, choosing the 'bados line up, some pretty terrible captaincy from Joe Root in this series, an absence of competent openers or number 3, unfamiliarity with decent fast bowling or the overall state of world cricket which drifts ever more rapidly towards one day cricket as a priority and thus players are honed in those skills. The WI team is missing their ODI players - they've bascially got nearly 2 different teams, whereas ours overlaps more, still. I know Samuels came back in, after 2 years out. Bayliss was also in charge when we beat India last year.

And WI are much better than their ranking suggests.

Bayliss isn't totally innocent, but I wouldn't think making him a scapegoat, by English cricket, will solve anything.

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't think Bayliss is to blame.

If the England head coach for the last three and a half years hasn't had sufficient input in to the England side with regard to its attitude towards Test cricket (that's not just about the win/loss/draw record - it's about the manner of the defeats, victories and any draws) to be able to hold him responsible for it being generally shit then either the person doing the job isn't doing much of one or the job is in itself redundant.

Should others be viewed as responsible, too? Absolutely.

We keep trying different openers that repeatedly fail, none has shown anything other than flashes of potential for years now. In the absence of any obvious candidates for the role, I say just stick Roy & Hales at the top and tell them to play their natural game. I can't see how they could do a worse job than any of these other guys and we might even get the odd decent start to an innings once in a while!

I'd want Burns to Start the summer. He made the team based on his performances in English conditions, thus far he has had to open in Sri Lanka and the West Indies, against spin and fast pace. He hasn't done great, but nor has it been a disaster, in my view. He's done ok, He's had two good scores, a few half starts and yes some cheap outs. Tough conditions, but good bowlers and a whole load of pressure. He should get all summer. Jennings will definitely be got shot off though, he's had enough chances and just being good against spin isn't going to be useful often enough to warrant him failing in other conditions. 

There's such a long way to go until we play Ireland and then Australia that there is plenty of time for new candidates to put their names forward, but I'd still like to stick with Rory, he deserves a go in the conditions in which he earned his call up. Denly - nice 69 ( insert carry on image of choice here ) yesterday and he's holding the number 3 spot for now, but I think he needs to start the season well with Kent to keep hold of it. 

I don't think just going to the short form bashers is always the way to go, but with the World Cup preceding the Ashes, I guess it is a golden chance for Roy - who seems to be candidate du jour amongst the pundits for some reason these days, despite playing so little 4 day cricket - to fire his way in. I'd still really prefer the emphasis on finding a Cook / Trott-in-his-prime candidate up there than going for someone who might just be boom or bust each series. We have enough talent, as shown this test to accelerate the scoring in the middle. If the golden combo of power and discipline can be developed, like Warner learned to do for the Aussies - minus the whole being a dickbag thing - then great. If Roy can be that person, then I would happily enjoy my scepticism being proven wrong as I was with Buttler though.

I don't trust the England selectors tbh , they will probably drop Burns and give Jennings about 30 more  attempts instead

This week ,they dropped Foakes and a number 8 bat   , in favour of Bairstow and a number 7 bat  ... Bairstow is a decent batsman without doubt but  Foakes is a far superior wicketkeeper  ..and hasn't been too shabby with the bat either averaging 41  ...  just seems a pointless change  , Bairstow had just batted at 3  in the game before  and then they demote him to 7  in favour of a 32 year old who is hardly being blooded as one for the future , Bairstow is also 2 (or 3) years younger then Denley so they should have kept him in at 3

Roy averages 38 in 4 day cricket  , but  I'm not sure he's deserving of a test place as he doesn't play enough matches  (only 2 last season ) ,   but he is a big hitter and thrives in the big game environment so that might be why he's being talked up ..

personally I feel  they should have given Ollie Pope more than just 2 matches  , he's only 21 and averaging 49 for Surrey (average of 70 last season)  .. to drop him after 2 matches is just a joke 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Pope was also unfairly promoted up to number 4 as well, which was ridiculous. For a young lad, he should be going in at 6 or 7. He will be back in eventually, though he needs time with the Lions. Agree on Foakes, he is clearly a quality player, and gives us good batting at 7 and great wicketkeeping. Bairstow has done great stuff for England in the past, so for me it should be Bairstow v Buttler for the number 6 spot based on form. I don't think JB really wants to bat at 3. I suppose that area of the team is a nicer dilemma to have, but I think they've got it wrong dropping Foakes.

I don't really know what the best option is in terms of trying to force an aggressive batter to be disciplined - it didn't really work with Moeen, or just accept there will be high calibre, and high ego players on the bench. I guess the thing with the T20 players that gets advocated is they play in more "high pressure" environments in all these tournaments. Not sure it's enough of an argument.

Maybe we should just try Woakes opening the innings after all. He's been a bit unlucky with injury, and in English conditions, we need to get him in the side. It's odd, when you start thinking about who's in for the next series, it always ends up feeling like we have so many riches in certain departments, that all the collapses feel all the more infuriating and surprising.

Hey up, looks like we may have declared already.

Â