Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

Thanks.

I love watching The Big Bash.

For me, it's far better than the IPL and streets ahead of the T20 in the UK.

Love the sell out crowds and the fact there are so many families and youngsters there. It's a great spectacle.

Yeah, the competition is just really good all around. Been to a few games, even the missus and my two girls love it. Super competitive league as well, only a handful of games each season that don't go to a close finish.

I think a big part of why it's so far ahead of the English version is the stadiums. Australia has so many brilliant modern stadiums for cricket, which helps create an excellent atmosphere and which look great on tv.

Problem is that it generally wipes out my productivity, as for 6 weeks i end up doing nothing every night other than watching T20!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

After 4 days of test cricket during the day and a Big Bash game every night, I think I may have overdosed on cricket this Christmas.

I love this time of year, from Boxing Day onwards you get cricket in New Zealand starting at 10pm, then Australia about half 11, then South Africa at 8 in the morning til early afternoon with a Big Bash thrown in as well.  Probably about 16 or 17 hours per day.

• Like 1

Described by a mate of mine, Villa Season Ticket holder and Warwickshire Member , as "a mouthy little Yorkshireman' ( possibly influenced by his punch-up with Warner). Never an England captain IMO, excellent player on his day but his 'days' seem to becoming fewer and fewer.

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Described by a mate of mine, Villa Season Ticket holder and Warwickshire Member , as "a mouthy little Yorkshireman' ( possibly influenced by his punch-up with Warner). Never an England captain IMO, excellent player on his day but his 'days' seem to becoming fewer and fewer.

He’s hardly mouthy. 

Seems like he struggled a bit with the bat recently but you’ve got to remember that he still averages over 50 in test cricket...

Also made a couple of fantastic back to back ODI hundreds against India and the test team is starting to feel like his.

Bright year ahead for Joe I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chappy said:

He’s hardly mouthy. 

I think he used that expression because he was in the Australian Bar at the time of the incident. All a bit subjective I know but we could re- convene this topic at the end of next season (when Warks are County Champions😃) and he and England have had a great season.

• Like 1

Pujara, currently sitting on 183 not out in the 4th test of the Aus/Ind series as I type, has now batted a staggering 18 hours longer in this series than any Aussie batsman! India well on course for their first series win in Australia.

Australia have been mostly woeful this series, I suspect they'll get trounced in the Ashes this year - with or without Warner & Smith.

7 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Pujara, currently sitting on 183 not out in the 4th test of the Aus/Ind series as I type, has now batted a staggering 18 hours longer in this series than any Aussie batsman! India well on course for their first series win in Australia.

Australia have been mostly woeful this series, I suspect they'll get trounced in the Ashes this year - with or without Warner & Smith.

I don't think this is anywhere near the best XI they could pick even without Smith and Warner.  Interesting how the quick bowlers haven't been able to get anywhere near as much movement compared to the Ashes, I wonder what has changed since then...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't think this is anywhere near the best XI they could pick even without Smith and Warner.  Interesting how the quick bowlers haven't been able to get anywhere near as much movement compared to the Ashes, I wonder what has changed since then...

Who else would you pick? Lots of different batting options that are much of a muchness... they have a real lack of batting talent at the moment in red ball cricket. Glen Maxwell is the only person who would clearly improve the team, but Langer doesn't get on with him.

Absolutely no doubt there was ball tampering in the Ashes - the ball always went back to the bowler via Warner, who had his hand bandaged <cough> for pretty much the whole series.

With regards to the Big Bash, I think it is a notch behind the IPL. Obviously the fact that Indian players are restricted to the IPL is one factor but the quality of cricket is not brilliant at times. This year the Aussie domestic players have been dire against spin bowling. 

Hasn't the IPL been slightly 'tainted' with match fixing though? My former GP was a Chennai supporter and even he was concerned about this. Have never read that Big Bash has been involved with this sort of practice .

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Hasn't the IPL been slightly 'tainted' with match fixing though? My former GP was a Chennai supporter and even he was concerned about this. Have never read that Big Bash has been involved with this sort of practice .

Just ball tampering :trollface:

Good night out at Marvel Stadium last night to see Melbourne Renegades beat Hobart Hurricanes, although if I'm honest I was slightly disappointed not to see a gladiatorial fight between Thor and Hulk. Still, over 18,000 people for a Monday night was not a bad effort.

DwS8RhkV4AA4pW3.jpg

• Like 2

Â