Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

It has been a fascinating series so far. Test cricket is always more exciting with lower scores, not 500 plays 500. I know Sri Lanka haven’t been great in the field but it’s still a big achievement to go there and win, they blew SA, who supposedly travel well, away earlier this year.

What a start to his test career for Ben Foakes!

Surprise, surprise:

Cricket Australia to reconsider Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft bans

The bans on Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft could be reduced by Cricket Australia (CA).

Smith and Warner were suspended for 12 months and Bancroft for nine for ball-tampering in South Africa in March.

An independent review commissioned by CA found the body to be "arrogant and controlling" and partly to blame.

The Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) said the review was grounds to have the punishment lifted and CA could make a decision by the end of the week.

Smith, captain at the time, and Warner, his vice-captain, are eight months into one-year bans, while Bancroft, who carried out the cheating in South Africa, will be eligible to return in December.

"These contrite men have suffered enough. Let them play," said Greg Dyer, head of the players' union, in October.

Australia have struggled since the trio were banned. They lost a one-day series in England 5-0, a two-match Test series against Pakistan 1-0 and were beaten 3-0 by the same opponents in a T20 contest.

They have also lost a one-day series against South Africa 2-1 and host India across all formats of the game this winter on home soil, starting with a Twenty20 match in Brisbane on Wednesday.

Nice to see a proper keeper keep wicket rather than making a keeper out of a batsman. Maybe Foakes has learnt a lot from James Foster at Essex but he looks a top class keeper. Leach has come in and done well and given the spin attack some control. Moeen continues to get good batsmen out at crucial stages. I would keep him at 6. its unfair on him to keep being shifted around the order

I think Mo deserves a regular slot in the line up, but I think it is going to be 8. In non spinning tracks, Bairstow and Broad or Woakes come in for two of the spinners. We have so much depth and it's good, I tihnk I prefer a more flexible policy, that doesn't get hung up on the idea of dropping people. Woakes has done nothing wrong and yet he's not in the side.  

Burns, Jennings, Stokes ( for now ), Root, Bairstow, Buttler, Foakes, Mo, Curran, Broad, Anderson. 

I suspect Jennings may still struggle to hold his side back in England, but that side above seems strong. In England you'd want Woakes in that eleven, but who is dropped? Buttler maybe. I mean Jimmy won't be around for ever, but there's going to be quality players - like Johnny Bairstow at the moment, sitting out of test sides having done very little wrong. The last player I can think to suffer with this was probably Graham Onions who was very unlucky not to play far more tests than he did. Then everyone bangs on about Joe Clarke and Ollie Pope as well. Interesting times. 

As for the Aussie batsmen, it doesn't bother me if they cut the bans, as I thought the 12 month bans seemed rather excessive. Missing a series or two would have sufficed and been plenty embarassing. It's not like it's spot fixing. They were caught cheating, so they should be suspended. A year was astonishingly long given the ICC rules were much less ( obviously the ICC rules were too lenient, but a middle ground would have been fine ) 

On 20/11/2018 at 00:53, Rodders said:

A year was astonishingly long given the ICC rules were much less ( obviously the ICC rules were too lenient, but a middle ground would have been fine ) 

The bans were not just for cheating per se, but for "bringing the game into disrepute" - the length was calculated to represent the damage they did to the image of the game here. While Australia is pretty ambivalent about things like racism and domestic violence, they get very angry about people cheating at cricket.

The appeals from the players union to cut the bans came in light of the review of Cricket Australia, which concluded that the whole organisation was promoting a win-at-all-costs mentality across the board. The union thus decided that the three players should have bans reduced as it wasn't their fault... as if Cricket Australia execs had been in the dressing room holding a gun to Warner's head to make him cheat. Thankfully the appeal was dismissed out of hand, and the cheating Representatives for Wellingborough must continue to lie in the beds that they themselves willingly made.

Edited by MrDuck
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

It doesnt sound that bad for a whole day's entertainment plus demand must be huge.  The World Cup sounds a lot worse in comparison.

Yeah some of the World Cup tickets were overpriced but if the game goes the distance you’re getting 100 overs - more cricket than a day at a test.

I missed out on England tickets in the ballot. Ended up with Windies vs NZ (£18) and Australia vs SA (£40) - pretty happy with both.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chappy said:

Yeah some of the World Cup tickets were overpriced but if the game goes the distance you’re getting 100 overs - more cricket than a day at a test.

I missed out on England tickets in the ballot. Ended up with Windies vs NZ (£18) and Australia vs SA (£40) - pretty happy with both.

Yeah they sound potentially really good games, you've done well there.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

Really good series in Sri Lanka, and England have showed signs of real progress. Hopefully another good series in the West Indies will lead us in to the next Ashes full of confidence.

• Like 2

I may be wrong about this but I don't think the wickets over there are particularly conducive to spin. As a hell of a lot of wickets have fallen to spin in Sri Lanka, I just wonder how our (slightly ageing) pace attack will get on. (and more importantly  - will Woakes get a chance !!!)  

We won't play 3 spinners, though apparently there will be a bit of spin - it depends on what the Windies think they're strengths are.

Anderson and Broad both start I guess - with Rashid or Leach benched. If we go one spinner then Curran or Woakes comes in for the other one, I think.

It's going to be tough though, as Woakes, like Bairstow and Broad has done nothing wrong aside from be injured.

Burns, Jennings, Bairstow, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Foakes, Mo, Curran, Anderson, Broad.

That's the team that's based on current form and holding the shirt, is likely to start in a one spinner match isn't it? Woakes could start instead of Curran for more bowling strength, as I think Curran is fine only in short bursts with the new ball ( at the moment, he'll improve ). So personally I'd have Woakes at 9, but I think they really like Sam ( can't blame them!) and even though Woakes can be  just as good with the bat,  if I'm trying to anticipate their thinking that's how I see it. 2 months to go though, plenty of time for injuries to bugger it up. For me that top 7 looks in pretty good order - with caveats on Burns and Jennings improving.

It's interesting as both Curran and Woakes will be crucial in home conditions for the Ashes so the latter definitely needs some matches beforehand.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rodders said:

We won't play 3 spinners, though apparently there will be a bit of spin - it depends on what the Windies think they're strengths are.

Anderson and Broad both start I guess - with Rashid or Leach benched. If we go one spinner then Curran or Woakes comes in for the other one, I think.

It's going to be tough though, as Woakes, like Bairstow and Broad has done nothing wrong aside from be injured.

Burns, Jennings, Bairstow, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Foakes, Mo, Curran, Anderson, Broad.

That's the team that's based on current form and holding the shirt, is likely to start in a one spinner match isn't it? Woakes could start instead of Curran for more bowling strength, as I think Curran is fine only in short bursts with the new ball ( at the moment, he'll improve ). So personally I'd have Woakes at 9, but I think they really like Sam ( can't blame them!) and even though Woakes can be  just as good with the bat,  if I'm trying to anticipate their thinking that's how I see it. 2 months to go though, plenty of time for injuries to bugger it up. For me that top 7 looks in pretty good order - with caveats on Burns and Jennings improving.

It's interesting as both Curran and Woakes will be crucial in home conditions for the Ashes so the latter definitely needs some matches beforehand.

I think for the first time in a long time we have depth in a few key positions and can afford to select on a horses-for-courses basis.

Mo is probably our most consistent spinner, but Leach is a great option and Rashid has taken more international wickets this year than anyone else.

Likewise you could pick Woakes, Sam Curran or Tom Curran without weakening the team in any obvious way.

Foakes is the best keeper... but we can squeeze in an extra bowler if Bairstow or Buttler keep, and they're both decent keepers.

Nice problems to have, and I think a lot of these players now know they have to be at their best consistently or they'll be benched. Just a shame we don't have the same quality of options at the top of the order.

Oh this is very good news!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/46382499

Some overseas cricketers will be eligible to play for England after living in the country for three years under new rules coming in on 1 January.

The updated England and Wales Cricket Board rules mean, for example, that Sussex all-rounder Jofra Archer will be eligible to play for England next year.

Archer was born in Barbados but has an English father and a British passport.

Under the previous rules he would not have been eligible until the winter of 2022 after a seven-year residency.

That, since 2012, had been the period required for players who arrived in England after their 18th birthday.

However, 23-year-old Archer, who was signed for £800,000 in the Indian Premier League auction last January, could now be included in England's World Cup squad next summer.

I've only seen him play T20, but he's a phenomenal T20 bowler... genuinely quick, most exciting young English player I've seen in a long time. His county record looks pretty good too... would love to see him in the squad for the Ashes and the World Cup.

On 28/11/2018 at 02:14, MrDuck said:

Foakes is the best keeper... but we can squeeze in an extra bowler if Bairstow or Buttler keep, and they're both decent keepers.

I'm likely to get very angry with England selectors if we start pissing around here.

Foakes is a better 'keeper than either of the others. Drop a guy or a miss a stumping and you could well be having to find a lot of runs from the 'decent 'keeper'.

It's not like comparing Bob Taylor to one of the other average 'keepers who could actually bat.

Foakes can bat. I think Buttler and Bairstow need to make their cases solely as batsmen now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Oh this is very good news!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/46382499

I've only seen him play T20, but he's a phenomenal T20 bowler... genuinely quick, most exciting young English player I've seen in a long time. His county record looks pretty good too... would love to see him in the squad for the Ashes and the World Cup.

It's an annoyingly presented article. It almost suggests that a change in the rules is something that he is now going to take advantage of.

Even though he's a British passport holder, he had committed himself to qualifying to play for England no matter how long it took, I believe. That it will now take less time is great for him and for us.

Perhaps we ought to talk about him as a Brit who isn't allowed to play for the country that he wants to represent until he also passes some residency qualifications?

• Like 1

Â