Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

obviously I'm biased but Surrey have been pretty awesome this season  ... be nice to win it undefeated 

time to start thinking about what I should spend my winning on having backed them to win the title this season (note to Bookmakers , next time a team signs a bowler of Morkels calibre ,make sure you drop their title odds to reflect this)

Edited by tonyh29

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Huge win for Yorkshire. Lancashire  looking ripe for the drop now. Especially with Essex looking comfortable against Notts right now.

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Oh that's very upsetting !???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

obviously I'm biased but Surrey have been pretty awesome this season  ... be nice to win it undefeated 

They have. Really impressive. There's an awful lot being done very well right throughout Surrey CCC - the ground, the mens and women's teams. The one days stuff is not so hot, but they're doing a lot very well.

While I'm being neutral(ish) Worcestershire have been good too, in their own way - more on day than 4 days, but on a small budget they've developed players and played exciting committed cricket. Having Moeen Ali as Captain has been good for them.

Right that's quite enough of that.

You Bears!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Fantastic to see us win something. We'll never get back to the glory days of Botham, Dilley, Radford, Hick etc but this is equally as impressive. 

You missed Villa goal keeper Jim Cumbes !?  Although a lot of people will be too young to remember that period.

Are the Pears even trying to not get relegated?  67-7...

Bears are fairing well in bowling conditions, sat nicely on 82-0.  Getting a 100 opening partnership in these conditions will be a great achievement.  

Edit. We lose one on 96 :lol:  Sibley out for 44. 

I cursed it :D 

Edited by lapal_fan

Looking at the way Surrey are going, I half wonder whether, if Burns is going to start and we don't want Jennings then maybe bringing Stoneman back up top to keep a regular partnership going might be worth a look, last few matches he's been scoring better than most.

Unlikely I suppose, but another option. I know it's weeks away yet, but bored at work.

Burns, Stoneman, Ali, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, Leach, Rashid, Broad / Woakes, Anderson is a line up I like. They've been whispering about rotating the main pace bowlers for Sri Lanka which seems sensible.

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

They've been whispering about rotating the main pace bowlers for Sri Lanka which seems sensible.

They whispered that about the India series, too.

I doubt either of them would allow themselves to be rested, tbh.

Genuinely wouldn't have Rashid in the line up. Did very little with the ball in the India series and I really don't think that Root rates him. Maybe he doesn't like him either.

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Looking at the way Surrey are going, I half wonder whether, if Burns is going to start and we don't want Jennings then maybe bringing Stoneman back up top to keep a regular partnership going might be worth a look, last few matches he's been scoring better than most.

Unlikely I suppose, but another option. I know it's weeks away yet, but bored at work.

Burns, Stoneman, Ali, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, Leach, Rashid, Broad / Woakes, Anderson is a line up I like. They've been whispering about rotating the main pace bowlers for Sri Lanka which seems sensible.

No Curran to bail out the batsmen at number 8 ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

No Curran to bail out the batsmen at number 8 ?

Was thinking he may be sacrificed for more spin options. Depends on the pitches. Would happily have him in there of course, but if it's spin heavy then Stokes is in as chiefly batsman with only occasional support bowling ( also if his injury is still hampering him, flogging it further on those decks seems pointless ). That should be ample really and then it's which bowling attack is most useful. I don't think Bess has played much lately unfortunately, but you've got other players like Parkinson or Virdi but it's a big leap, assume they would go on a lions tour instead. 

Edit: and @snowychap you're probably right re the pace attack, it's not as if they are in the other formats, but you never know.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

@Rodders, ooh, I'd missed that you'd dropped England's Man of the Series. ;)

I get where you're coming from on having more spin options but I think it would send an even worse message even if he isn't likely to figure hugely or take loads of wickets.

The more I think about your Burns/Stoneman combo, the more I like the idea.

Burns, Denly and Stone all get called up for the Sri Lanka Tour then

Joe Root (Yorkshire, capt),
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire),
James Anderson (Lancashire),
Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire),
Rory Burns (Surrey),
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire),
Jos Buttler (Lancashire),
Sam Curran (Surrey),
Joe Denly (Kent),
Keaton Jennings (Lancashire),
Jack Leach (Somerset),
Ollie Pope (Surrey),
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire),
Ben Stokes (Durham),
Olly Stone (Warwickshire),
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Agree with VILLAMARV's team …. apart from Rashid.   I realise he isn't a leg spinner but I have always liked the look of Danny Briggs - even when he was at Hampshire - and he is left arm.    Denly has had a great season.

And Warks finally promoted; wonder if they will release anymore from their squad or is that it.

Finally, I wonder if Stokes will stay at Durham; aren't they in a spot of bother financially ?

Â