Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

now bairstow goes.

that all goes on Root for pissing his wicket away, and where's the **** nightwatchman? **** sake. Chucked the day away.

My alarm went off at 7:50, I looked at the score, and was happy to see only 3 out, with Root on his way to a ton. I had a slash, looked again, and saw Root was gone. I put BT Sports on my phone to see Bairstow walking out, and I screamed the same thing! If I had a betting account ready to go, I'd have put money on Bairstow following Root back to the pavilion. 

18 hours ago, Rodders said:

now bairstow goes.

that all goes on Root for pissing his wicket away, and where's the **** nightwatchman? **** sake. Chucked the day away.

Nightwatchman would have been sensible, but all Bairstow had to do was to come out and block for the last few balls. Instead, he comes out and tries to play his shots. Idiot.

I reckon 346 could be a good score. Once again, Aussies bowl everything short at Broad and he deliveres another entertaining useful knock - why they don't bowl at his stumps is beyond me, thought they'd have learnt their lesson at the MCG.

Stat - England have never lost when posting 340+ in their first innings at the SCG (W10 D3).

England bowling has been shocking. Have they got 20 wickets in a match yet

Would need massive clearout but will all be forgotten in english summer when players like Broad will look a world beater in favourable conditions

Vince entirely incapable of learning from his previous dimissals.

Malan and Overton are good finds, and Crane is worth sticking with. I'd stick with Stoneman too in the absence of any better option.

Otherwise, get Jofra Archer in the test squad as soon as possible - been watching him in the Big Bash for Hobart, he's the most exciting young English cricketer I've seen in a long long time.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Joe Root in hospital after yesterday's play with severe dehydration - you have to ask whether the test should have continued in yesterday's temperatures.

Anyway, this tour just keeps delivering good news doesn't it??

Was actually dehydration from gastro, not from the heat.

But playing in those conditions is insane. I can't even bare to go out into the garden when it passes 40 degrees in Melbourne, let alone play cricket all day. I once played football in that sort of heat and it nearly killed me!

Test squad for NZ:

Joe Root (Yorkshire), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Middlesex), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Stoneman (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

Can't believe that Vince and Stoneman are in the squad, whilst Ali and Wood are also very lucky to have been included.

and they have dropped Curran after just one test ! Now I am no fan of the Curran brothers as I was no fan of the Hollioake brothers. I thought they were over rated but played for the ' right club'. However, surely he deserves a bit more of a chance. What is that going to do for his confidence and thus prospects for his future International career?

The logic maybe , they have faced one of the better world attacks on hostile pitches, it was always going to be tough, let's see how they do in conditions which might be slightly friendlier. Stoneman looked decent enough at times to have another go, particularly as I don't think there's any other candidate who's saying pick me. I'd rather stability until someone definitively says YOU MUST PICK ME. 

Similar with Vince, he has no long term future in this side, but I'd rather Malan stayed at 5 where he did well rather than play him at 3. it was harsh that Ballance who did well at 5 always was made to play at 3. If anyone should go at 3 I would have expected the captain to do it, but he's already made it clear he won't do it. 

I don't mind giving Wood time to recover his fitness, though he had a rough time yesterday in a warm up match for the one dayers. Re Ali I do think he could do with a break but maybe the switch to the one day format for a bit may help recover some confidence? Sounds like he bowled alright. 

Overton was only out because of his injury and he'd bowled better than Tom in his tests. Plenty of time for Tom to develop and if we'd kept him that's too many fairly similar bowlers. Having Wood gives you something different, if he's fit enough and playing well that is

11 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Can't believe that Vince and Stoneman are in the squad, whilst Ali and Wood are also very lucky to have been included.

Stoneman deserves another crack, he looked ok, and in the absence of obviously better options I think he's worth sticking with. Not so sure about Vince though. Moeen Ali is a fine cricketer who had a shit tour, would be madness to discard him.

I'd go with Cook, Stoneman, Malan, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali as the top 7.

That said, it seems a tad optimistic to be selecting Stokes...

• Like 1

Â