Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

What England really lack in their side is an all-rounder, you know the type that can change a game in a session. Preferably a ranga with a bit of feist in him and a few tattoos to intimidate the opposition. 

If only England had a player like that, you'd be all over this series.

-_-

No one else's fault but his, though.

Obviously Stokes would have improved the England side but he couldn't carry the bowling attack, sort out the shit captaincy decisions and prevent us collapsing all on his own.

Strange test this one - England are being taught a lesson and look completely demoralised- but there's still a chance that with some rain or Australia enjoying the batting for too long that it could end up a (completely unmerited) draw - our best result of the series. As an England fan, I've got to say, I'm not enjoying this glorious highpoint of the tour.

The Beeb:

9:58

'We think we've done pretty well today'

England coach Paul Farbrace on BT Sport: "I wouldn't say we have been batted out of it but that is a tough day. When you get in you have to go big and that's a tough lesson for our batsmen to learn. We had the opportunity to do this and Australia have taken theirs.

"They have played exceptionally well. You can look at how your bowlers bowled, we think we worked really hard today. We don't have the pace they have and we don't have magical spin. We have what we have.

"Watching from side on our body language was good. We stuck at it, we just weren't quite good enough. We think we've done pretty well today."

In which case, I can begin to understand just why we can be so shit.

If that's really his opinion then I'd sack him. If it isn't then just stop him from talking to the media.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Well at least the players will have a nice time on holiday in Australia, because they sure as hell aren't trying to win a game of cricket. 

Looks like they've had a great piss up. I know it's cricket but you'd think that during the biggest tour in years most would be able to stay off the booze. 

• Like 1

Root does not strike me as a leader who will inspire. England are wilting and fast.

Heavy Ashes defeats usually culminate in the end of a few careers - Cook, Broad, Anderson's days are numbered. Once these are gone there will be some very dark days ahead for England in test cricket. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West said:

Root does not strike me as a leader who will inspire. England are wilting and fast.

Heavy Ashes defeats usually culminate in the end of a few careers - Cook, Broad, Anderson's days are numbered. Once these are gone there will be some very dark days ahead for England in test cricket. 

Anderson was averaging under 20 this year with the ball before the Ashes I believe, there's no need to get rid just because of a bad tour here.  Cook and Broad still have some use in NZ and next summer too and we won't have to go through this torture for four more years.  Really the blame for me is with the selectors and coach, plus Stokes.

• Like 1

Vince got an un unplayable ball from Starc and batted well but the rest... Root and Cook have been so poor. Ok Root got halfway to a good score at the Gabba but lost it immediately the next day. I do want to credit the bowlers and the conditions but there's definitely a bit of a mental problem there too. 

Vince Stoneman and Malan have oddly enough been among our better performers so can't blame selectors either. The only odd call was picking Ball over Overton initially and perhaps Bairstow could have been pushed to 6 sooner but i don't think either of those decisions were too egregious. 

Stokes has been a tit and would have possibly helped steady any collapses and add a bit more fire but only himself to blame for that. Coaching has to have question marks especially given the comments posted earlier about being satisfied yesterday 

Edited by Rodders

Having seen Bayliss and Stoneman having a good old laugh in full view of the cameras not long after Stoneman was out (and it looked like he was replaying the shot he got out with by his hand movements), I'd drop him and censure, if not sack, Bayliss.

It may have been a moment taken out of context and I don't expect them to walk around looking glum all the time (it is only a game) but it really looked as though they couldn't give any less of a shit about what had just happened or what was happening. The problem for me is that I think it's true.

You have to go some to get an innings defeat after being 368-4. Still, congratulations to Australia, they've thoroughly deserved to win the series - I can't help but wonder if things would have been different if we'd had the two or three hundred runs that Cook and Root have forgotten to take out there with them.

• Like 1

they aren't even trying now. Broad just walked off didn't even bother to review. Even with 3 hours of rain, we had no chance did we? Contemptible stuff this.

Cook, Root, Mo, Woakes, Broad have been largely garbage, especially cook and root for all their vaunted best player status'.  A few scores of 30 + but that's been it. Rubbish.

Vince - two very good innings which exceeded expectations, likewise Stoneman ok, and Malan has been the pick, Bairstow ok, Anderson did his best with the ball, but poor at Gabba in the first innings. Overton - done well for his first two matches in fairness, got wickets and some runs.

Yes, the disappointing thing has been the players who've not turned up - Cook, Root, Broad, Moeen - who you'd expect to rely on. To think before the series there was genuine debate on whether Root or Smith was the better player!

And there we go.

An innings defeat from day 1 performances is really quite something. 

Only objective now is to avoid another wretched whitewash. No idea how that happens, feel like we'd be better off making an example of tge failures and bring in the lions. Crane in for Mo, who's batted like a tail ender anyway. Ball / Wood for Broad. Ballance in for Root and bring over another young opener to replace Cook. Never happening. Maybe even bring Foakes in for Mo instead of crane to improve the batting and just use root and malan as part time spin.

I understand none of that is happening obviously, but there needs to be a response of some sort. They didn't all get out to unplayable balls in their respective innings. 

Edited by Rodders

yeah he might have added a few more runs but his bowling wouldn't have had much of an impact, but a bit of fire might have helped gee up the attack at times, you never know, we are definitely better with him in, and say at the Gabba you have him in there in that second innings we've got a better chance of holding on, but ultimately no way does he overall make enough of an impression to overturn the Ashes lead.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think Stokes wouldnt have made that much of a difference. He is a good player but some fans and media would make you think he bowls like Glenn McGrath and bats like Sachin Tendulkar 

I think he would have made a huge difference... firstly his idiocy put us on the back foot before we even got there. Secondly, important to remember that he was vice-captain... Root lost his right hand man, and his ally in getting his way with the more senior players. Thirdly, he would have given us one hell of a lot more fight - just his attitude would have been a huge bonus.

Â