Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

What do people think of the BT coverage compared to sky?

It's been OK. Not as good as Sky, but decent enough. I think they've done the right thing getting recognisable voices from TMS, although I'm not a fan of Graeme Swann. Like Alison Mitchell though, and Vaughn and Boycs are alright, plus the Aussies have been decent. Badly missing Bumble though, and I could listen to Michael Holding read out the phone book.

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

What do people think of the BT coverage compared to sky?

I think it's been pretty dreadful, to be honest. Alison Mitchell is good and Boycott is ok in very small doses, but other than that it's diabolical. 

The worst thing is the incessant talking throughout play, it's **** irritating beyond belief. Looking forward to the NZ series when Sky will be back.

Edited by Avfc96

My own view point is its a refreshing change from the monotonous drone of Botham and Gower. Also more recent cricketers apart from Boycs who I like listening too. but I have only watched it in small doses 

• Like 1

I dunno bout the Bt commentary but the Aussie channel 9 is diabolical. There’s a kind of forced matey bonhomie and almost nothing of interest. It’s all monumentally tedious.  “Pup, KP, Tubbs, Heals, Warner, chappelli , and occasionally something relevant from Mark Nicholas. Peitersen is excruciatingly bad.

• Like 1

What on earth is going on with England in Australia - off the field ! First Bairstow incident and now  Duckett pouring beer over James Anderson (according to news reports). Seems cricket is slipping into 'yobbery'  - can't see Denis Compton/ Colin Cowdrey et al acting like that. Mark you, the thin end of the wedge was having that Northern monkey Lloyd going through he 2nd rate Working Club comedians routine when he is supposed to  be a commentator. (very peed off today - can't get out on bike !)

13 minutes ago, veloman said:

What on earth is going on with England in Australia - off the field ! First Bairstow incident and now  Duckett pouring beer over James Anderson (according to news reports). Seems cricket is slipping into 'yobbery'  - can't see Denis Compton/ Colin Cowdrey et al acting like that. Mark you, the thin end of the wedge was having that Northern monkey Lloyd going through he 2nd rate Working Club comedians routine when he is supposed to  be a commentator. (very peed off today - can't get out on bike !)

Denis 'turns up to play still wearing last night's dinner jacket' Compton?

22 minutes ago, snowychap said:

So you don't think Denis Compton would go out on the piss during a tour/during a Test Match?

I don't know but I don't think he would pour beer over a team mates head. Perhaps I am  just old-fashioned and that is entirely acceptable these days.

20 minutes ago, veloman said:

I don't know but I don't think he would pour beer over a team mates head. Perhaps I am  just old-fashioned and that is entirely acceptable these days.

What on earth has this got to do with being 'old-fashioned' or to do with 'these days'?

None of us know the circumstances. Perhaps Anderson was being an arsehole? Perhaps Duckett was being an arsehole? Perhaps they were joking around and it went a shade too far?

It's got very little to do with it being 2017 as opposed to 1947 other than, perhaps, the media focus on anything and everything that happens - immediately and without full knowledge.

Don't you remember the WI tours in the eighties with Botham, Gower, Lamb et al. for an example?

My point is not to excuse the behaviour (it's up to people to take their own view of it) but to say that it isn't 'new' or about 'these days'.

Edit: Apologies if that came across as an angry response. :blush:

Edited by snowychap

27 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Edit: Apologies if that came across as an angry response. :blush:

OK no problem. I suppose I thought that in view of the previous incidents the team would have been warned to be on their best behaviour. I have a mate  who is a (Burnley) and Lancs CCC supporter and he reckons that Anderson can be a bit 'volatile' so , yep, who knows what really went on but I think we might agree that it is bad news for the team as a whole.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, veloman said:

OK no problem. I suppose I thought that in view of the previous incidents the team would have been warned to be on their best behaviour. I have a mate  who is a (Burnley) and Lancs CCC supporter and he reckons that Anderson can be a bit 'volatile' so , yep, who knows what really went on but I think we might agree that it is bad news for the team as a whole.

It's not good, I'll agree. And it's distracting.

I mean I think it and the Bairstow thing are very small beer, really - but, in light of the microscope under which the tourists could expect to find themselves, it's a bit daft, to say the least, to have got in to situations that can be blown up like these.

Â