Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

6 down now albeit a very good catch.

Still monumentally shit. To add to our inability to field or bowl yesterday we now cannot bat. Cook has been  pathetic, and captain root has been anything but. Another mediocre contribution with the bat allied to a daft call yesterday and its game over and series over very likely given the Perth test is up next.  Maybe Cook over too, his good scores are fewer and further between, and he is certainly not the dependable leader he once was.  All that anticipation and within 8 days its bye bye Ashes. I knew it would be tough, but there's no fight, no brain in this side.  Maybe the lesson is to not bother anytime we play away from home. Dicked by India last year and hard to see anything other than a collapsing dicking this year. The idea that one person called Stokes would have made any difference is shot too. Who do you trust in this side to perform? Anderson and Broad with the ball and that's it.

Edited by Rodders

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:07, lapal_fan said:

I think I may have mentioned this before, but **** GARY BALLANCE. Stupid fat prick.

I just went to reply to this thread and the above quote was saved from the last time I was in here I guess. Just lolled so had to leave it.

• Haha 1

Urgh! Awful batting display from the top and middle order. Some terrible stokes to get out with. This was a must not lose test match, and now I'm starting to fear the worst for the rest of the series.  

Edited by dAVe80

Might as well take the positives from this debacle.

Fair play to Woakes and Overton. Very impressive from Overton particularly. Woakes really is quite handy with the bat but unfortunately not going to get much done with the ball in this series. Maybe switch him and cook around in the order haha.

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

Urgh! Awful batting display from the top and middle order. Some terrible stokes to get out with. This was a must not lose test match, and now I'm starting to fear the worst for the rest of the series.  

Bit harsh blaming him? He's not even playing! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Woakes on fire. Bowling brilliantly. 

I think Australia probably already have enough on the board, but if we can restrict them to a 300 to 320 lead, it could be interesting.

Well I guess that's a positive end to the day. Halts their momentum, and gives us something positive to hold onto - we won a session! Woakes comes to the party, Steve Smith is left befuddled and there's some fire in England. It is too late to change the course of the test, but if we are able to force them all out for under a 150 - it at least neuters their hold on us a touch for the next test, and gives us a target to aim for while trying to save the test. Facing c400 runs with 4.5 sessions on the clock would obviously be imposing and we still have to bat under the lights with a moving ball. I don't for one moment expect to get close, but there's a spectral glimmer of unfair hope that's just been squeezed out thanks to the past 90 minutes.

We need to really prove we can do a job on the whole Aussie order, and not let a tail hold us up, if Hanscombe, Marsh, or Paine repeat their resistance again, I would fear that would snap our spirit, but for now, I guess, we have something, however slender, to hold onto.

Woakes' best day on this tour by a mile, but Aus will still win the test quite comfortably. 

Out of the squad on tour this is quite comfortably our strongest XI, yet we don't look like winning a test let alone the series. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Ball starts swinging and suddenly England's bowlers look deadly.

Too little too late. They can't rely on a swinging ball in Australia especially when this is the only day/night test. Can't see England chasing down 300+ with Lyon and Co. bowling. England all out for 150-200 second innings is my bet.

Â