Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

A 10 wicket defeat after all this? **** everything. We're going to be utterly humped in Adelaide and Perth. Another heavy away series mauling then.

Drop Ball for Overton is all we can do. Zero confidence now. Still at least I won't waste my nights not sleeping anymore

Edited by Rodders

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

I said before the change in Smith is some turnaround. I think it was 2011 he was brought in for spin only and he looked dreadful with the bat. Now he looks like the 2nd coming of Bradman. Its crazy

Yes its amazing. 

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

A 10 wicket defeat after all this? **** everything. We're going to be utterly humped in Adelaide and Perth. Another heavy away series mauling then.

Drop Ball for Overton is all we can do. Zero confidence now. Still at least I won't waste my nights not sleeping anymore

They were always favourites. I think losing Stokes, who on reflection has been treated very badly, was a big loss. Cook needs to be the rock and he hasn't been much lately. Cant expect Moeen and Bairstow to bail England out every time, especially without Stokes. No pace in our attack, that's a big issue. Ball crap, Woakes not back to the way he was bowling before his injury. Anderseon and Broad still good but probably not the force  they were and Lyon although I hate to admit it is probably a better spinner than Moeen.. its going to be tough to come back I agree unless Cook and Root can get big runs and set a platform. 

• Like 1

Yeah, as much as England badly miss Stokes, I am in agreement that it was right not to select him, certainly until his case is finished. I aslo think the footage is pretty damning. That aside, I think your assessment of the current state of play is pretty spot on Paul. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Stokes has been treated unfairly at all. What he did was scummy and Hales was cowardly

Did you read the whole story Zatman he was defending two gay guys who were picked on by scummy homophobics. Maybe he went too far but he isn't the bad guy here. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Did you read the whole story Zatman he was defending two gay guys who were picked on by scummy homophobics. Maybe he went too far but he isn't the bad guy here. 

maybe he wasnt but you dont take the law into your own hands. He isnt Batman ;)

• Like 1

Well he is a hero to them as they were incapable of defending themselves so I don't feel any sympathy for the for the guys he beat up. 

O’Connell told the Sun: “We were so grateful to Ben for stepping in to help. He was a real hero.

“Kai feared he could be attacked. If Ben hadn’t intervened it could have been a lot worse for us.”

Barry added: “I’m not a fighter and we didn’t want a fight. We could’ve been in real trouble. Ben was a real gentleman.”

With Stokes I think the biggest problem is his track record when it comes to drink and violence, and getting himself into that situation in the first place during the middle of a series.  He also went too far IMO.

Anyway this is a series between two very average teams and one of the two top class players has won the game off his own bat really.  England's bowling really is powder puff stuff and still no satisfactory answer to the spin problem.  Could be 5-0 again.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

With Stokes I think the biggest problem is his track record when it comes to drink and violence, and getting himself into that situation in the first place during the middle of a series.  He also went too far IMO.

Anyway this is a series between two very average teams and one of the two top class players has won the game off his own bat really.  England's bowling really is powder puff stuff and still no satisfactory answer to the spin problem.  Could be 5-0 again.

I think its  a bit harsh on Moeen after the summer he had with the ball. Swann never did much in Australia tbf. Also he only played one warm up game because he was injured. Anderson is still very skilful but hes 35 now and yes we don't have anyone as quick as Starc and Cummins

Edited by PaulC

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think its  a bit harsh on Moeen after the summer he had with the ball. Swann never did much in Australia tbf. Also he only played one warm up game because he was injured. Anderson is still very skilful but hes 35 now and yes we don't have anyone as quick as Starc and Cummins

On an absolute Bunsen Moeen is as dangerous as anybody but on a pitch where we just need someone to bowl long spells and keep control picking up the odd wicket he is pants.  Can't forget his performance on the last day of the game we lost to WI.

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

Stokes said he hates discrimination so that is why he stepped in. Then he was filmed doing an impression of Katie Price's disabled son. 

Moen’s Spinning finger is quite badly cut according to the commentators on channel 9. The other thing they said is the pitch has got much better, with day 4 pitch yesterday being like a normal day 2 pitch. And strangely enough the Aussies have been saying how closely matched the 2 sides are and that England will do better in Adelaide as well with the day night game. They’re undercooked here having had not much high intensity or hight standard warm up. Plus the Aussie extra pace.

29 minutes ago, blandy said:

Moen’s Spinning finger is quite badly cut according to the commentators on channel 9. The other thing they said is the pitch has got much better, with day 4 pitch yesterday being like a normal day 2 pitch. And strangely enough the Aussies have been saying how closely matched the 2 sides are and that England will do better in Adelaide as well with the day night game. They’re undercooked here having had not much high intensity or hight standard warm up. Plus the Aussie extra pace.

Yes read the George Dobell article. Obviously that is why he didn't get the purchase on the ball, But with the next test starting soon I don't know whether it will be a problem. Crane is the only other option but that's a huge risk

Edited by PaulC

Well we really screwed that one up. Looking like we were still in it until Moeen was out, and he was really unlucky to lose his wicket. 10 wicket loss is probably not a fair reflection of how close this game was for the most part.

Adelaide represents our best chance of a win. The ball tends to swing a lot in the day/night tests there, and Broad and Anderson are still perhaps the best two swing bowlers in cricket. And Australian batsmen are crap against swing. Hopefully we can level the series. But if we're gonna do that, we need waaaaay more from whoever plays next test out of Ball/Woakes/Overton.

• Like 1

Forget this insignificant 'Ashes' business - we were always going to get thrashed ! Far more important ; Jeetan Patel to captain Warwickshire next season with Grant Elliot returning to captain T20 side. If I've got that right, what do Bears fans think ?

• Like 3

Worcestershire cricketer Alex Hepburn charged with rape

Worcestershire county cricketer Alex Hepburn has been charged with two counts of rape.

It relates to an alleged incident in Worcester on 1 April, West Mercia Police said.

The Australia-born all-rounder, 21, is due before magistrates in the city on 7 December.

Worcestershire County Cricket Club said it was also dealing with a disciplinary matter concerning its director of cricket Steve Rhodes.

It declined to comment on reports he failed to inform cricket authorities when Mr Hepburn was arrested.

In a statement, the club said: "Worcestershire County Cricket Club can confirm that Alex Hepburn was charged on the 9 November with two counts of rape following an investigation by West Mercia Police into an incident which occurred on Saturday 1 April 2017.

"Hepburn has been suspended on full pay pending further investigation and will next appear at Worcester Magistrates' Court on 7 December 2017.

"As the matter is now subject to criminal proceedings the club is unable to provide any further comment at this stage."

The England and Wales Cricket Board has confirmed that Mr Rhodes will no longer coach the England Young Lions in South Africa and during the Under-19 cricket World Cup next year.

Â