Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

You always bat first unless the wicket is green or its cloudy.  I diidn't see much but what was very interesting to me as the amount of turn Nathon Lyon was extracting from a first day wicket. With the amount of left handers in both sdes it end up being a battle of the spinners. England need to get 400. Who knows how conditions are going to go because they use the heavy roller in the morning and the wicket could get really flat. All I know is that we are in a decent position at the end of day one

• Like 1

Good game so far by all accounts (I've seen zero balls of it!).

Becoming a bit of a Stoneman fan to be honest. This isn't the first time he's came in and gotten a really gritty 50, so well done him for not getting out cheaply and digging in.  

Gives the middle order something to work with as well, wearing the ball down. 

I think we'll get a decent score. 

Woakes never really gives his wicket away, a solid 35 there you'd think.

Mo, with the form he's in at the moment you'd hope could get 100.  Either way, that 6 was a nice slap in the fact of Lyon. 

Good to see Vince getting some runs, he'll be a bit gutted not to get 100, but 83 in your first ashes innings, he'd have snapped your hand off before the game, if offered. 

Feeling calm, which is a nice feeling to have at this point. 

Good start to the tour in my view.

Didn't score at a particularly exciting rate but questions have been answered with Vince and Stoneman scoring well, okay Cook and Root haven't made the best of starts but we know they're good players and will score runs, the question marks were on Vince, Stoneman and Malan.

Unless the game moves on quickly it's quite probable this one could be heading for a draw already, lots to go though of course.

We'll need to get to 300 at least, first hour of day 2 will be key.

302 gives us something to work with. Broad and Ball showed that our main batsmen perhaps don't have to be quite so defensive against this attack. We need to get Warner out early, otherwise they'll be halfway to 300 by tea...

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

this is going to be a good match. Australia fought back there, Smith is so good at digging in. We need to get him out first thing in the morning really.

Ideally we need to pay someone to break his legs.

• Haha 1

Similar situation but roles reversed going into day 3.

First hour will be key again, remove Smith and Marsh in that first hour and we can skittle them for 250 or less, equally they could go on to 350+ so it's right in the balance.

God I love test cricket, may be my age but fair play, I get into an England test series more than I do football these days.

I just wish to god it wasn't on BT sport, they're an absolute joke and it's a travesty that we're deprived of Bumble, Botham et al for the biggest test series of the year, effing money.

• Like 1

I think they still have a slight advantage - if I were predicting this test (and I am), I'd go with Australia getting a small lead out of this innings then England batting poorly under pressure and leaving the Aussies with a last day chase for about 200 to win.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think they still have a slight advantage - if I were predicting this test (and I am), I'd go with Australia getting a small lead out of this innings then England batting poorly under pressure and leaving the Aussies with a last day chase for about 200 to win.

I think we'll be okay, would be a rarity for none of Cook, Root, Bairstow, Ali to get a big score in either innings, coupled with renewed confidence levels for Stoneman, Vince and Malan and I'm less concerned about the batting than I was a week ago.

Who knows though, if it's one thing you can always count on it's an England batting collapse!!

Finely balanced day's play. I'd maybe just give Australia the edge at this stage, but if we can get Smith early tomorrow, it could tip it in England's favour. If Smith goes on to get a big score, Aus will go past 400, and probably go on to win the match.

Was a tad disappointed with the way Woakes bowled, but he's gonna come good at some stage I'm sure.

Proper old fashioned test match this, compelling stuff.

• Like 1

Â