Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

2 hours ago, Milfner said:

Warwickshire with all ten wickets left and 220ish left to win. This is all very England, isn't it.

Just batting for the draw, it seems like. edit - scrub that, there's another day left.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How very convenient for India.

Feels very much  like it’s been used to their advantage here.

That's a bit harsh. the whole coaching staff have got Covid, they've not been able to practice and have been shut in their rooms, and the physio who has been treating the players has it. I guess you're right that maybe they can jet off to the upcoming IPL or whatever a bit sooner?

I got offered a ticket for Sunday for 50 quid, but couldn't make it. Oh and it's raining anyway.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

That's a bit harsh. the whole coaching staff have got Covid, they've not been able to practice and have been shut in their rooms, and the physio who has been treating the players has it. I guess you're right that maybe they can jet off to the upcoming IPL or whatever a bit sooner?

I got offered a ticket for Sunday for 50 quid, but couldn't make it. Oh and it's raining anyway.

Maybe, maybe not.

It was only yesterday that they declared that only Ravi Shastri had tested positive, so that’s a big shift in 24 hours. 

The series has been good, largely because there’s been a lot of needle between the teams which has made for good viewing but taking that into account I can well imagine Kohli and co using this as a big F you to the England team.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The series has been good, largely because there’s been a lot of needle between the teams which has made for good viewing but taking that into account I can well imagine Kohli and co using this as a big F you to the England team.

There kind of has, but it's been on the pitch needle around competing, not actual bad feeling. The spirit has been good between the teams, I think. India have been excellent, as well and Kohli's done really well as Captain - he's miles better as Captain now than he used to be. Really smart and impressive, IMO. I don't think they'd want to not play the game, they'd be favourites anyway, in my view. But they've been here for more than 2 months so are probably keen to go home, too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blandy said:

There kind of has, but it's been on the pitch needle around competing, not actual bad feeling. The spirit has been good between the teams, I think. India have been excellent, as well and Kohli's done really well as Captain - he's miles better as Captain now than he used to be. Really smart and impressive, IMO. I don't think they'd want to not play the game, they'd be favourites anyway, in my view. But they've been here for more than 2 months so are probably keen to go home, too.

I agree it’s given the series a good competitive edge on the field, and that’s something we all want to see, whether or not it’s spilled out off the field too I don’t know (though I fancy it has, at least a little, given Kohli’s interview before the third test where he talked about them being ‘ready for war’).

I’m not sure we’d have seen a satisfactory conclusion to this fifth test anyway with the weather reports but as others have said, it’s a somewhat ignominious ending to a really proper test series.

• Like 1

Warwickshire have put themselves in a fantastic position to win the County Championship now.  All they need to do is win with maximum bowling points and it's in the bag.  Wickets have been tumbling yesterday and today so with a fair wind they should get those points which would make a win a good likelihood.

Edited by sidcow

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmmmm.  Hope I haven't jinxed them. Wickets not falling like I hoped.  Hopefully the get another and more follow.

I saw Mark Robinson get interviewed last night after play, and he said the pitch was a road, so I guess wickets will be hard to winkle out.

Â