Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Would all the posters eulogising Archer really like to see Smith end up like Phil Hughes and that ball must have come damned close to hitting him in the same place. I want England to win but not at any price - it is a game after all ; albeit an important one. Peter Siddle doing quite well against us without smashing players on the head . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Roy and Root are pathetic 

Root is dire when comes to getting his hands dirty. Comes in England 200/1(rare these days) and he looks like Ponting. When gets tough he disappears

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Root is dire when comes to getting his hands dirty. Comes in England 200/1(rare these days) and he looks like Ponting. When gets tough he disappears

Yep, can't argue with that.

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Would all the posters eulogising Archer really like to see Smith end up like Phil Hughes and that ball must have come damned close to hitting him in the same place. I want England to win but not at any price - it is a game after all ; albeit an important one. Peter Siddle doing quite well against us without smashing players on the head . 

Marvelling at Archer’s performance does not mean people want to see players get seriously hurt. 

It’s part of the game. When Smith comes out to bat tomorrow, I’d have Archer straight on and bowling exactly as he did today. 

Did you see Cummins working Archer over the other day? Same thing. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Marvelling at Archer’s performance does not mean people want to see players get seriously hurt. 

It’s part of the game. When Smith comes out to bat tomorrow, I’d have Archer straight on and bowling exactly as he did today. 

Did you see Cummins working Archer over the other day? Same thing. 

People want hard but fair game. The lack of remorse is what people are upset about

Most disgusting of all was Smith was booed off by fans. Must have been Chelsea fans attending 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Hostile fast bowling is part and parcel of the game, albeit, not as common as much anymore. Look back to the great West Indian attacks on the 60's, 70's and 80's and the Lillee/Thomson Australia era. They used to pepper the opposing batsmen with short balls. The only thing I don't like is when they do it to tail enders. 

The death of Phil Hughes was very sad but it was a 1 in a billion accident. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Getting lot of abuse online for laughing at Smith injured. Saying was too similar to Hughes 

Yes and I can’t believe mentality of some of the crowd booing smith. Some players showed their concern for smith Archer didn’t. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Unless you ban the bouncer I'm not sure what you want?  Smith took his eye off the ball and ducked into it, and wasn't wearing the neck protectors that were designed after the Hughes incident.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Would all the posters eulogising Archer really like to see Smith end up like Phil Hughes and that ball must have come damned close to hitting him in the same place.

I am pretty sure Archer is not so pinpoint in his bowling that he can specifically target a 2 cm spot on a batsmans neck and deliberately hit it. 

He bowled a bouncer as all bowlers of all nations do to batsmen and it hit the batsman awkwardly.  It's just one of those things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

People want hard but fair game. The lack of remorse is what people are upset about

Most disgusting of all was Smith was booed off by fans. Must have been Chelsea fans attending 

Buttler ran over straight away from short leg to check he was ok as well as others, at which point Sky turned the cameras away from the field.  Then a while later they cut to Archer who was standing with Buttler when they were smiling and Smith looked ok.  People make it sound like Smith got flattened and nobody gave a shit and Archer was pissing himself when the opposite happened from what I could tell at the time.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I am pretty sure Archer is not so pinpoint in his bowling that he can specifically target a 2 cm spot on a batsmans neck and deliberately hit it. 

He bowled a bouncer as all bowlers of all nations do to batsmen and it hit the batsman awkwardly.  It's just one of those things. 

I’m sure he wasn’t intentionally trying to hit him. It wasn’t that short was it. Smith misjudged the bounce and ducked into it. At that pace though it’s difficult to judge length. 

I wonder how this will affect the rest of the series. Will smith now be affected by the pace of archer. It does change the dynamics of the series when you have a seriously quick bowler. 

Don’t like the fact root doesn’t bowl woakes enough 

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Don’t like the fact root doesn’t bowl woakes enough 

Root is a shit captain and its affecting his batting as well now.

Stokes as captain? 

Geoff Boycott mode back on...

This annoyed me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49381142

Glamorgan have signed former England all-rounder Samit Patel on loan from Nottinghamshire to help boost their County Championship promotion bid.

Patel, 34, has played all three formats for England, including six Tests.

While remaining a Notts T20 player, he will be in the Glamorgan squad to face Division Two leaders Lancashire at Colwyn Bay, starting this Sunday.

Glamorgan are second in Division Two, 28 points behind the visitors - level with third-placed Gloucestershire.

After his four-day debut for Glamorgan, Patel will remain available for selection by third-placed Notts in their final four T20 group fixtures - and the quarter-finals and Finals Day, should they make it.

I'm no fan of these short term loans in the county game and having the situation above where you are playing for 2 different teams at the same time is stupid. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Root is a shit captain and its affecting his batting as well now.

Stokes as captain? 

I agree yes and should move back to 4. Stokes good pick. Sibley for Roy next text? Or drop Denly and move Roy down the order. 

37 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Sibley for Roy next text? Or drop Denly and move Roy down the order. 

Sibley is a decent shout.

Denly over Roy. Although thats like preferring a punch on the nose compared to a kick in the spuds. 

If we're going on county form in the longer format then Ballance is the obvious choice. However picking him again is reminiscent of the England of old gong back to Ramps and Hick every few tests. I don't know what the other options are though? Vince, again? 

What happened to Pope?

12 hours ago, Xela said:

What happened to Pope?

He won’t stick around either, he’d be charging down the wicket within 3 overs trying to smash everyone. 

He’s a mad man, you can see it in his eyes...

pope-francis-1541522610.jpg

Â